Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
Just watched this fantastic documentary of sorts, called "Reclaiming the Blade". It's about western swordsmanship, and talks about how the martial aspect of sword was somewhat lost, but kept alive through cinema. Goes into reenacting, as well as newer groups studying medieval martial arts. Very, very well done.

http://www.reclaimingtheblade.com/

Legion: TBD
That does look interesting Magnus -- Thanks for the link.

And...

Amusing quotes in your signature block -- Ouch! And some thought I was too harsh in my review ...

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I would strongly recommend that documentary to everyone on this forum. It was just super, had a great perspective on western martial arts and our cultural fascination with the sword.

And I think I took those quotes from that post you made...I haven't laughed that hard in a while when I read them.

Yes, Reclaiming the blade is a very good film, there is something for everyone, including HEMA, SCA and re-enactment enthusiasts. And those who simply love swords. Sadly, Paul Champagne, the swordsmith featured in the film, passed away in 2009 from a heart attack, the late Hank Reindhardt also appears in the film.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
"Die Schlacht am Harzhorn", a documentary about this archeological sensation in Northern Germany a few years ago, when they discovered a battlefield, where the Roman Army fought against Germanic warriors during the reign of Maximinus Thrax. It had a lot of reenactors with the excellent costumes and armour. You would recognise some faces from here, like Flavius Promotus.

[Image: die_schlacht_am_harzhorn_roms_letzter_fe...bild_1.jpg]
--- Marcus F. ---
Battle Los Angeles.

AWESOME movie! Good script, good story...very well done.

I recently saw Battle L.A. also. Very intense movie and you cant go wrong when a platoon of Marines destroy an invading alien army!
Quote:Battle Los Angeles.

Really?!!! Confusedhock:

I thought it was absolute bollocks. Full of predictable stereotypes; obvious plot-lines; typical Hollywood scripting; tokenistic support characters (kid/Nigerian guy/woman etc.).

I found myself laughing out loud at moments that I probably shouldn't have.

The two 13 year old boys I took along with me really enjoyed it of course because it is tremendously loud; has undemanding dialogue; easy storyline; lots of shooting and explosions; and (natch) aliens who can't shoot for toffee ...

My two quibbles were (a) why did these aliens arrive bearing weaponry hardly more sophisticated than the jarheads they faced, and (b) when a film has US Marines in it - why is one of them always called Martinez (is it some kind of Hollywood in-joke)? :lol: :wink:

The Royal Marines would have sent those pesky invaders back into the ocean in about 10 minutes ...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:
Magnus post=286292 Wrote:Battle Los Angeles.

Really?!!! Confusedhock:

I thought it was absolute bollocks. Full of predictable stereotypes; obvious plot-lines; typical Hollywood scripting; tokenistic support characters (kid/Nigerian guy/woman etc.).

The two 13 year old boys I took along with me really enjoyed it of course because it is tremendously loud; has undemanding dialogue; easy storyline; lots of shooting and explosions; and (natch) aliens who can't shoot for toffee ...

My two quibbles were (a) why did these aliens arrive bearing weaponry hardly more sophisticated than the jarheads they faced, and (b) when a film has US Marines in it - why is one of them always called Martinez (is it some kind of Hollywood in-joke)? :lol: :wink:

The Royal Marines would have sent those pesky invaders back into the ocean in about 10 minutes ...

I believe one Martinez per unit is standard Marine Corps issue.

BTW, thanks for revealing the outcome of the film, the rest of us haven't seen it yet!

The smilies are not working, I was joking of course, everyone knows the Marines always win.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Quote:
Magnus post=286292 Wrote:Battle Los Angeles.

Really?!!! Confusedhock:

I was rather happy that the tech level of the aliens wasn't light years ahead of what we have now on earth. I find when that happens the "solution" to crippling them and ultimately kicking their butts is a bit too far fetched and impossible, especially after only 2 hours worth of movie time.

It was refreshing to see an alien army using similar tactics that would more than likely be utilized, especially given their choice of projectile weaponry.

I work with a guy who's last name is "Martinez", and who was ironically, a former US marine. He laughed and said "we're everywhere". lol

Sofia Coppola's Somewhere. Pleasantly slow. Good acting, nice music, excellent movie.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Bushi no Ichibun :

[Image: Love_and_honor.jpg]
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Bushi no Ichibun

[Image: Love_and_honor.jpg]

A simply beautiful film...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
What's the story line in that movie henk?

Missed it in the cinemas but finally got my DVD of Ironclad.

Going off hand held cameras as they make me feel ill trying to concentrate on what's going on and although the premise for the film is very "Hollywood" the authenticity of the setting and the mire, deceit and violence that was the period of King John was rather well presented I thought.

It is James Purefoy, of course, so would watch it anyway. :wink:

Nice to see Valdimir Kulich back (last seen by me at least in 13th Warrior) although not at all sure about Danes wearing woad... Confusedhock:

And Paul Giamatti is a fabulous, revolting King John.

Nice viewing for a long, wet and boring Saturday afternoon...but perhaps not for children under 15 as the mutilations are very graphic.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!