Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitruvius and the scorpio
I am currently building a scorpio based on Vitruvius' text.<br>
Does anyone know the thickness of the plating on either the Ampurias or Caminreal frames?<br>
Most modern reconstructions seem to have a large radius on the curving front of the side stanchions. These curves seem to go from top to bottom spring carrier. Any measurements on the size of the curved front on the Caminreal find?<br>
Is anyone aware of any archeological evidence for types of wood used? I see that the Hatra Ballista used a wood identified as pterocarya fraxinifolia. Somehow, I do not think that it is available locally.<br>
<br>
Thank you for your time<br>
Kevin Aschenmeier<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hi Kevin,<br>
If you're a little patient, I can send you the information you need (maybe via e-mail?)<br>
The front of the Ampurias frame is flat and the front of the Caminreal one exhibits only to small bulges.<br>
No traces of wood are recorded.<br>
I advise you not to follow Vitruvius text as your main source. You can extract better information from Heron and Philon.<br>
for instance, Heron says distinctly that the middle stanchions must be as wide as the peritreta are there and the Caminreal frame sheath has confirmed it...<br>
I've written a short paper on a theoretical reconstruction of the Caminreal catapult, but it is languishing since two years ago in the 'forthcoming' JRMES 12 !<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=aitoririarte>Aitor Iriarte</A> at: 7/9/04 6:57 am<br></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
SALVE<br>
<br>
Last week i was at Teruel and i can't view any wood traces at Caminreal's scorpio. I can't get some photos...<br>
<br>
Aitor, i want that information. Can you send me, please.<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
VALE<br>
<br>
P.D. Aitor: We are making a lot of work for LUDI VELEIENSES. <p></p><i></i>
Lucius,<br>
What kind of information do you need exactly? Better tell me via e-mail.<br>
I look forward to see you again at Iruña The excavation is getting extremely interesting these days. They are uncovering a stone paved courtyard, once surrounded by columns and the rests of a semicircular fountain basin which was paved in mosaic (nearly missing now )<br>
I liked a lot your pic at Tarragona and your lorica. We must talk about pterugae (bring yours to the Ludi!)<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor<br>
<br>
It would be great to see your upcoming article and views on the scorpio.<br>
<br>
Please email me at [email protected] <br>
<br>
I do have a copy of Heron's work,and Vitruvius' but not of Philon's. I read both Greek and Latin, so I guess I should track down Philon.<br>
<br>
I am torn between following the texts or the archaeological evidence. The texts do indeed give a more complete picture, but the solid evidence of the finds is more compelling.<br>
<br>
Kevin<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hi Kevin,<br>
You've got an easily accesible edition of Philon's Belopoiika on Marsden's second book, devoted to the sources.<br>
My advice is to follow the archaeological evidence as far as possible -at least it is real, 'solid', evidence- and fill the (huge) gaps with the sources and your imagination and trial/error results of your predecessors!<br>
I'll try to e-mail you some information later but my computer is haing problems lately and i don't know if I'll succeed or not...<br>
BTW, you've probably already told it but, wher do you live, USA or GB? I live in northern Spain.<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
Aditor:<br>
Thanks for the information in the email.<br>
Actually I am from Canada.<br>
The Romans never did make it to Canada. They probably would have found the winters too cold anyway.<br>
<br>
Kevin <p></p><i></i>
You're welcome, Kevin,<br>
You can ask for more details, I'll try to lok for the iron plate thickness. The Ampurias catapult is still!! unrestored and placed front down on an ashlar, as it if were a cart...<br>
If Schramm didn't record that detail, then nobody has done it!<br>
I realized later that you'd already said that you were from British Columbia<br>
<br>
Lucius, your e-mail server has returned my e-mail as too big. I need to know how many Mb it can 'swallow' before I try another go!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner
The Caminreal iron plating is ca. 2 mm thick.<br>
In the meantime, my webpage on artillery [url=http://www.stormthewalls.dhs.org/Siege/Aitor/Aitor%20Iriarte.htm" target="top]www.stormthewalls.dhs.org/Siege/Aitor/Aitor%20Iriarte.htm[/url]<br>
is on again (thanks, Kurt! ). Ther you'll find a bibliography that I try to keep updated (some new titles on missile finds will be added soon)<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reconstructing Vitruvius\' ballista Moderatus 2 1,973 02-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar