Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Germanic warrior impression
Thaks, Kai - of course, good point. The Tollund man can be the next http://www.tollundman.dk/. But is it the fur "in a careless fashion" or "with more elegance"? (I opt the first one). Can we also regard those examples as of a sort of "regular winter clothing"? By the way: I thought of a sort of "furry tunics" (tailored with more elegance) when I was writing about "no good evidence". But you are absolutely right - let's start from that.

Quote:Just to clarify, I'm not denying the use of fur. I only resist by making bolt statements about it being 'general use'.
Hm... why not? During the winter? According to Tacitus, probably "those of the interior" relied on fur much more than "those living closer to the limes". Probably, because Tacitus wrote his relation as there where no other textile clothing but imported:
Quote:hey also wear the skins of wild beasts; the tribes on the Rhine and Danube in a careless fashion, those of the interior with more elegance, as not obtaining other clothing by commerce
. I hardly think so.

We probably think about two different problems. Correct me if I'm wrong Jvrjenivs: You probably are afraid of "The Flintstones look" of potential reconstructions (that "romantic, stone age" effect is -unfortunately - possible). Am I wright?

But, some people just would like to find out - how they (ancient Germanic tribes) dealt with the winter, snow and so on. You know, all that northern, furry animals that were just asking to be hunted, eaten and skinned... It is worthy to try out.
Wojciech Wasiak (Votava)
HARJIS / DAGOME

Messages In This Thread
Baiuware Kit - by ioannes sebald - 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by MARTINVS ARIES TEVTONICVS - 12-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Liadon - 06-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Thomas Zaccone - 10-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Votava - 01-06-2012, 04:21 AM
RE: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Keith Croteau - 02-04-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by germanicus1 - 05-28-2018, 02:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression Alanus 108 125,918 07-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Sooqa
  Show here your Celtic warrior impression Chuck Russell 204 182,562 12-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Last Post: ancientbattles
  Show here your Thracian warrior impression Dain II. 22 32,616 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS