Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiusi sarcophagus battle
Hi guys
I went to Tuscany for vacation and touched Chiusi. Managed to sneak a photo of a battle scene of a fragmented sarcophagus. Unfortunately the photo is out of focus but I will attach it to this contribution once I figure out how to do it. Indeed it should be interesting enough to trigger some of you to visit Chiusi. It has a VERY nice Etruscan museum too with wonderful mythological fighting scenes in color!

The headless legionary on the left is really cool. His scabbard is in perspective and has a nice upbeat to it.

Jeff

p.s. the fragments were found 20 years ago under the main church of Chiusi. The photo should not have been taken (no authorization) but then it is out of focus!
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
I visited Chiusi around 5 years ago and can second Jeff's view. I recall an interresting tour of tunnels under the town, which was once Clusium, the home of Lars Porsena.
Simon

Simon M. aka BigRedBat
It seems to me that the photo is seen as available only if I log in and to see it I must download it. How do I set things up so that any casual reader (non-member) can see it?
Have any of you logged on also downloaded the photo successfully?

jeff

p.s. Sorry for out of focus.
Jeffery Wyss
Wow very good. Etruscan friezes were extremely high quality, in some places better than the Greeks of the time!
Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam conservant.

James S.
The sarcofagus I photographed is roman. To me it looks from the trajanic period. Evidently there was some "roman" general from Chiusi area. The quality is not as good as great trajanic friezes in Rome but it is still quite impressive.

Instead in the nearby Etruscan museum there are wonderful freizes in full color and some with great "realistic" details.

Bye

Jeff

p.s. again can anyone tell me how to post a picture so it can be visible to all, even those non-logged in?
Jeffery Wyss
Yes...but I cannot make out the scabbard you mention.... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The sarcofagus I photographed is roman. To me it looks from the trajanic period. Evidently there was some "roman" general from Chiusi area. The quality is not as good as great trajanic friezes in Rome but it is still quite impressive.

Oh, how can we tell that this is from the Trajanic period? It looks great, and very similar to the Etruscan funeral battle friezes.

As far as I know you can't upload images to the forum without limiting their visibility only to members. But if you upload the image to www.imageshack.us or to www.picoodle.com then it will be visible to everybody.
Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam conservant.

James S.
Quote:
Goffredo:6gb3tpcg Wrote:The sarcofagus I photographed is roman. To me it looks from the trajanic period. Evidently there was some "roman" general from Chiusi area. The quality is not as good as great trajanic friezes in Rome but it is still quite impressive.

Oh, how can we tell that this is from the Trajanic period? It looks great, and very similar to the Etruscan funeral battle friezes.

The style definitely looks 2nd c. AD. Etruscan funerary scenes have quite a different style to this.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
The stacking (if there is a technical term for it, I don't know what it is) does seem to strongly indicate a 2c date. Trajanic period seems reasonable. By the late 2c the stacking and general crowding was more considerable than what I can make out in the fragment pictured here. Etruscan battle scenes could be crowded, but almost never exhibited any use of stacking, and generally used scene dividers if they did.
Paul
USA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Portonaccio battle sarcophagus 'standard'? Ross Cowan 5 1,376 08-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Ross Cowan
  Trajanic frieze from Chiusi Patrick Tansey 2 1,408 09-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr