Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Legionaries Vs. Medieval Heavy infantry
this is actually similar to what i'm reading now - Jack Whyte's Camulod chronicles - if no ones read it then a short shabby summary is... Rome has fallen and the British colonies are having to deal with it as best as they can still using Roman military tactics and their own cavalry(((which is based off Alexander the Great's mounted charges)))) -
so far there was only one mention of "Roman" infantry meeting with armed cavalry but the scene never played out because they were on the same side but didnt know it at the time.. does that make sense? in otherwords it would have been friendly fire if they were using guns... and the cavalry was lying in wait for a different army when that particular infantry showed up,
oh hell just read the book... (Eagles Brood) and you'll see what i mean. i'm making it sound stupid and confusing :roll:

still this question isnt totally absurd and i only say that because of the book i just read. sure its fiction but based on history. my thoughts would be the same...... sure the Roman infantry would have laid traps on the field for their enemies horses but what if it was a surprise attack like the one in the book?
The Romans, while conquering the world, didnt know what was lying in wait for them out there. IF they had met a heavily armed cavalry, IF such a thing already existed at the time, how would they fair?

i'm still getting caught up in my Roman military history so of course there's a LOT i dont know.... :oops: ...... but wouldnt the Romans be prepared for anything if they were venturing into uncharted territory? or would they send out their explorers and take advice from the few survivors?

my own opinion is .. if Medieval Cavalry met a Roman Legion it would be a stand off.... Romans are better at close quarter combat right? heavy cavalry just plows into their enemies but a grounded knight would have a hard time fighting with all the weight of the armor... :?:

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Legionaries Vs. Medieval Heavy infantry - by Dogote - 10-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Re: Roman Legionaries Vs. Medieval Heavy infantry - by Dogote - 10-17-2008, 03:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hoplites at War: A Comprehensive Analysis of Heavy Infantry Williamhawk 1 6,565 01-25-2018, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Paul Bardunias