Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPQR Tattoo and Gladiator Re enactment.
Hello my name is J. Smith.

I am looking to get a tattoo done soon but......
I am a 5th century Roman re enactor and Gladiatorial combat re enactor.

for 5th century it is OK as my tunic covers my entire body and I have trousers etc.

But in Gladiator I am topless.

I heard a rumor and (also I have seen it in a film, so possibly a Hollywood fact :lol: ) that the Roman Legions would of had an SPQR tattoo with an eagle.

This would allow me portray a deserter in the arena.
the second problem is that to being quite a big lad if I do fight i usually portray a Thracian - Thraex could I get away with the deserter story as this type of gladiator was a barbarian slave or rarely of Roman blood I have been led to believe.

If anybody could help me find some documented proof I would be grateful....I heard there may be a snippet about it in vegetius but I can not get a copy of it nor do I know where to get a translated copy.

Regards Smithy.
"Smithy", Justen M. Smith.

Rule Britannia, Britannia waives the rules.
You can buy copies on line at such places as amazon
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Thank-you......... Does anybody know roughly which part of the text the talk of tattoos is, as I have heard it is a very large document.

Off the top of my head it will be in the section on new recruits,and I think the word is translated as "mark".

I don't have a copy to hand at the moment :oops:
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Smithy,

The passage in Vegetius is very small and only mentions soldiers being marked, it doesn't discuss tattooing designs etc. I've got it and can bring it to an event if you're really interested.

Now put your real name in your profile signature like it tells you to in the rules, there's a good lad.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:Smithy,

The passage in Vegetius is very small and only mentions soldiers being marked, it doesn't discuss tattooing designs etc. I've got it and can bring it to an event if you're really interested.

Now put your real name in your profile signature like it tells you to in the rules, there's a good lad.

Ahh OK I missed that rule... Will go about editing it immediately.

Merry Christmas ad a happy new Matt, long time no speak.

(I like this forum it has a spell check)

Thank you for all your help I did not want to make re enacting difficult by getting a tattoo that I thought was authentic but turns out is not, I would be branded with permanent embarrassment.

Quote: I would be branded with permanent embarrassment.

It could be arranged.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Hey Justen, the SPQR is a modern tattoo idea...this has been discussed before and all the evidence for tattoing is somewhat vague, but SPQR is never mentioned.

Legion: TBD
"Gulp" No longer am I worried about how much a tattoo will hurt.

We've discussed tattoos a number of times, and I don't recall the details but it's safe to say that the SPQR tattoo in "Gladiator" is complete fantasy. The letters stand for "Senatus Populusque Romanus" and were regularly used on public monuments, official documents, etc. There is no inherent military meaning, and the letters don't seem to show up on much military equipment.

Rule of thumb: Assume that EVERYTHING you see in a movie is wrong, and work from there. If something actually historical sneaks in, try not to worry about it.

You might also research the punishments inflicted on army deserters. Not sure if they included being sent to the arena or not.

Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote:Hey Justen, the SPQR is a modern tattoo idea...this has been discussed before and all the evidence for tattooing is somewhat vague, but SPQR is never mentioned.

I will still hopefully read the passage from "Vegetius" but do you know or have any reproduction pictures of what a Legion may have had tattooed on his arm to show who he belonged too.

Quote:We've discussed tattoos a number of times, and I don't recall the details but it's safe to say that the SPQR tattoo in "Gladiator" is complete fantasy. The letters stand for "Senatus Populusque Romanus" and were regularly used on public monuments, official documents, etc. There is no inherent military meaning, and the letters don't seem to show up on much military equipment.

Rule of thumb: Assume that EVERYTHING you see in a movie is wrong, and work from there. If something actually historical sneaks in, try not to worry about it.

You might also research the punishments inflicted on army deserters. Not sure if they included being sent to the arena or not.

Valete,

Matthew

A mistake on my part, but I have read an online (weather or not it was true to history or not) which said that a deserter of the military may be punished by fighting in the arena as a Murmillo but the class was not set just more common..... bits could be fact or fiction it might be complete fiction, I should have taken note of where I read it.

I always thought the punishment for desertion as a capital offense was nothing less than death if caught, at times by crucifiction or being beaten to death..correct me if i'm wrong.
Quintus Licinius Aquila
aka. Kevin Williams

Optio Leg X E V
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romechicago.com">http://www.romechicago.com
I will not even try to correct you I am always up for learning new things, if I have a different opinion I will try to look for evidence to back either up.... at-least the new me anyways.

Thanks for all help on this subject, I will still check Vegetius as the tattoo thing is something that interests me.

regards smithy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladiator re-enactment from 1935! LĂ˝sandros 6 1,671 02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Uhrisa