Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next fashion trend: togas?
I saw on the New York Times today that the next trend in fashion is women's dresses based on the toga. I can't see much of a similarity based on their pictures, but I thought it was a cool idea.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Why are those models always looking as if they have heard that their dog has just died? They never look happy, do they?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Why are those models always looking as if they have heard that their dog has just died? They never look happy, do they?
Maybe they're hungry. :lol:
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Last year "gladiator" sandals were all the rage. What's next? Maybe I should learn to swish, lisp, and thow hissy fits, hire some depressed anorexics, and host a show. I'll make a bazillion dollars selling Depeeka hamatas to clueless socialites. Of course the real money's in accessories like the loculli and fibulae. With all the money I'll buy myself a triumph up 5th Ave and declare myself Emperor. How does Gaius Guccius Versacianus sound?
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:
Jona Lendering:3jfjbq0y Wrote:Why are those models always looking as if they have heard that their dog has just died? They never look happy, do they?

It's because Donald Trump is ogling them from the front row. 8)
Quote:
Jona Lendering:1pfwc2sc Wrote:Why are those models always looking as if they have heard that their dog has just died? They never look happy, do they?

Or maybe somebody just mentioned to them that the only Roman women to wear togas were prostitutes... :wink:
Nathan Ross
Quote:
Jona Lendering:2r0hwlrf Wrote:Why are those models always looking as if they have heard that their dog has just died? They never look happy, do they?
I bet they are. Most of the women in the images look as if they have not eten properly in a decade. I find them looking very unelegant and not pretty at all. Not quite the person I would want to show my latest creation if I were the fashion designer. But then, I'm not a fashion designer so maybe that's where the origin of their self-motivated fasting lies.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
There are those who believe fashion designers are giving outlet to their misogyny. If you don't like women, then it would be reasonable to think that you would not want them to look good. I'm with you. When I see those models, I often think, "Wouldn't it be nice to bring them home, and feed them up so they have some shape." The wife agrees. But so far, she hasn't let me bring any home. Hmmm. :roll: :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Why are those models always looking as if they have heard that their dog has just died? They never look happy, do they?

Well, if you couldn't get out of bed for less than $10,000 a day, you'd look hungry too! :wink: :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Why do I fantasize about kidnapping these models and feeding them pasta and steak?
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others. " - Pericles

LEGIO XIII/ C A Burnham
I saw in the Guardian that designers are looking to ancient Rome for inspiration again. Check out this thing, which evidently Dolce & Gabbana call the Centurion Dress. I don't understand fashion, but I think this looks pretty cool. Does anyone recognise these images as from real coins?

[Image: Dolce--Gabbanas-centurion-001.jpg]
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Most models have a lower-than-normal BMI. That's why Israel requires all models to have to have a healthy BMI.

I can certainly see the inspiration though. I've been waiting for Tunics to make a come back.
Maybe if togas came back in style, we could learn how they were really draped and folded. All efforts of my own have been dismal failures (without small safety pins, that is) and come unwrapped. Probably because I can't afford that much wool in the width it needs, and other cloth doesn't cling the same way. Cotton flannel is close, but not really the same.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Evan wrote: I've been waiting for Tunics to make a come back.

If in the context of this thread you mean for women, then they did a few years back. I include a few images of models and pop stars wearing draped style tunics with gladiator sandals and designer bags in my recent talks, for example at the RAT conference. It usually wakes the chaps up if they are beginning to nod off! Either that or people think I have got my discs mixed up!

I used them in the context of identifying elite groups just from what they are wearing, how they wear the garments and even how it effects the stance.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Well I was referring to men Tongue

Interesting to know though.