Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New marching camp found in Spain
It´s old (published briefly in 2007), but seems it has been never commented here. I`ll give more details soon, from this magazine (I was looking for medieval sites results, not roman...so I just took few notes on this :roll: ).

Search:

"santa agueda" delika

in Google Earth, and set the 3D on. A must see. Big Grin

There have been a few finds, but enough to be sure:

A clear perimeter, one pilum, one hasta, one omega fibula, and one torque fragment.
Another broken torque find is used by those who defend than the nearby camp (about 10Km. in straight line) of Andagoste was atacked by "indigenous" peoples. :twisted:

As a curiosity, some buttons and a bullet were also found from another camp, this time French, of the 54ème Regiment de Infanterie de Ligne, from the 5th to the 7 th of November 1808.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
The first link seems to be to a membership article.
Álvar Rugero de Rioalto

Cantabrum indoctum iuga ferre nostra.
It's a library search engine (La Rioja University's), but gives all the relevant data (names, ISBN, and so). If the article it's avalaible freely on the net, it has a link (which it's not the case). I a couple of days I'll add more info.
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
cool, thanks, I'll wait for it, as the article isn't available freely. It's available only to La Rioja University members or other associated universities of Spain, but not all of them.
Álvar Rugero de Rioalto

Cantabrum indoctum iuga ferre nostra.
It's published in Arkeoikuska, a yearly "magazine" (almost 4 cm thick) avalaible in most university and public libraries of Basque Country.

I must warn that it doesn't tell much more, as the whole magazine are shortened reports from all the archeological activities of the basque Country...
Quote:It´s old (published briefly in 2007), but seems it has been never commented here.
The Dialnet link seems to require a membership login.

Is it the same Santa Agueda as this (Minorca)?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Nope to both. The login is to set the alerts, so as soon as some writer or keyword is in a newly added, you get an e-mail. And there is no electronic version of the magazine (and it's a shame Sad )

Saint Aguedas (or Agathas) are plenty in the world, but Delikas not so much. And Minorca it's not part of the rainy Basque Country (nevertheless, England or Germany may had claims :mrgreen: )

Pics from Google Earth:
From the North
[Image: delika%202.JPG]
And from the South
[Image: delika%201.JPG]
Quote:It's a library search engine (La Rioja University's), but gives all the relevant data (author names, ISBN, and so on). If the article is available free on the net, it has a link (which is not the case with this one).
D B Campbell:ps5onrki Wrote:
Iagoba:ps5onrki Wrote:It´s old (published briefly in 2007), but seems it has been never commented here.
The Dialnet link seems to require a membership login. ...
Nope to both. The login is to set the alerts, so as soon as some writer or keyword is newly added, you get an e-mail.
Apologies -- my poor command of Spanish let me down! :oops: It seems that, if you click on Register (in the top menu bar), and fill in the (free) registration form (in Spanish), you can then get alerts to newly published articles. But, as Iagoba said (and I misunderstood), Dialnet only gives bibliographic information -- no journal content (other than possibly links to online material).

So we rely on you to give us updates, Iagoba! Smile
Where on the google earth photos is the cam situated?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Edited (sorry):roll:

[size=150:27qt48h3]"X" marks the spot. [/size]
:lol: Cool thanks...I was leaning towards that, but you know me, not being a real roman, it would only have been speculation!
Thanks! Big Grin

Going back to the other thread, there seemed to havebeen a small number of Romans involved.
Perhaps due to the turmoil in Italy at the time.....?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
As promised, the few things I didn´t took notes when I firstly wrote this :oops: It's not much more, but even this, it's interesting:

9.1 hectares, two gates, the one facing South well conservated.

Now I'm wondering what's the relative size of this camp compared with others... :?:
Quote:9.1 hectares, two gates, the one facing South well conservated.
Now I'm wondering what's the relative size of this camp compared with others... :?:
Camp C at Alesia, on the Montagne de Bussy overlooking Mont Auxois, is 8 ha and, by coincidence, also has only two gates -- probably on account of its situation, attached to the outer line of siege-works. (I've just been writing about Caesar at Alesia, so it's fresh in my mind.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lead slingbullet inscribed with Caesar’s name found in Spain Marcus F. 1 218 01-16-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late-roman marching/temporary Camp at Gellep Simplex 1 124 12-27-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  New Roman camp found in Germany jho 15 8,467 10-18-2021, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Simplex