Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Novae, Bulgaria Bronze Segmentata?
Christian,

Your question to my comment is irrelevant because I was reiterating what Dan said since Andy may have misread the point that Dan was trying to make.

What finds have silver sheet on it? Are they girdle plates, shoulder pieces? I am just asking since I had not heard of this before and it is interesting.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Oh and this thread's in the wrong place- it's clearly archaeology so shouldn't be in Reenactment & Reconstruction, so I'm gonna do a little moving...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Well, I have heard this in respect to the Kalkriese plates. Also I have heard people dispute it.
Lets just say there seems to be opposing schools of thought, and they are clearly not saying what they say without their reasons.....
I will not say who is saying this, as they are the ones who have the evidence, not myself, but it is being put about.

Geez, talk about a kryptic, non commital, non helpful answer.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Well, I have heard this in respect to the Kalkriese plates. Also I have heard people dispute it.
Lets just say there seems to be opposing schools of thought, and they are clearly not saying what they say without their reasons.....
I will not say who is saying this, as they are the ones who have the evidence, not myself, but it is being put about.

Geez, talk about a kryptic, non commital, non helpful answer.

LOL

Legion: TBD
So where is it published that an extant segmentata fragment was plated in silver?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I'm hoping to know that once I recive my seg. I am waiting patiently! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It seems to me that something as poignant as that would be published somewhere.

Legion: TBD
Kalkriese 1-4 ?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Is that in German?
Where can you find it on the net?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes.
e.g. here: [url:34pcn0to]http://www.buchhandel.de/detailansicht.aspx?isbn=978-3-8053-3978-0[/url]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I still don't understand this categorizing of "Peasant Armor" and it's definition. That is just not clear to me. I personally don't see Romans finding one particular metal "higher class" than another, only for the style of which it's made and how it's worn (thinking in terms in example of different shoes and the "Greek Style Belt and Knot" seen on Tribunes and the like)

brass and bronze were used in helmets for centuries, and appear to cover all "ranks" in the Legions, to the best of my knowledge, so I just don't see how that determines a metal being "poor" grade versus "rich/status" grade.

But, I'm just not going to worry about it. It's starting to take the discussion off track I think.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:Yes.
e.g. here: [url:20rqbmkz]http://www.buchhandel.de/detailansicht.aspx?isbn=978-3-8053-3978-0[/url]
Thanks Christian. Now my next question is.......is it published in English? Tongue
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Probably not, I'm afraid. Most of these great German books wouldn't be translated. (And improving your German is worth the amount of interesting books you can find in German language.)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Probably not, I'm afraid. Most of these great German books wouldn't be translated. (And improving your German is worth the amount of interesting books you can find in German language.)

LOL, I wish....just learning about Roman history and a new career in HSE is a challenge for me.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Yes.
e.g. here: [url:384s7som]http://www.buchhandel.de/detailansicht.aspx?isbn=978-3-8053-3978-0[/url]

How confident are the authors that it is, in fact, a segmentata fragment?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  30 Spangenhelme found in Novae jho 5 2,630 06-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Bronze Lorica Segmentata F. MAXIMILIANVS ITALICVS 39 8,679 03-19-2013, 02:21 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  Embosed bronze segmentata? Sulla 15 4,066 03-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Sulla