Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arlon cavalryman
I finally got to these photos, have 6000 more to process, and just finally have some actual time to work on fun stuff.

from the museum card

"LES CAVALIERS ROMAINS"
(Milieu de 1st siecle)
Provenance inconnue

"Ce fragment provient d'un tres grand edifice a sujet militaire.
La scene est riche en details concernant les legions romaines qui
ont conquis la Gaule et qui sont presentes a Arlon. "

(Translation would be appreciated if someone has the time.)
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:I finally got to these photos, have 6000 more to process, and just finally have some actual time to work on fun stuff.

from the museum card

"LES CAVALIERS ROMAINS"
(Milieu de 1st siecle)
Provenance inconnue

"Ce fragment provient d'un tres grand edifice a sujet militaire.
La scene est riche en details concernant les legions romaines qui
ont conquis la Gaule et qui sont presentes a Arlon. "

(Translation would be appreciated if someone has the time.)

My Frensch is a bit old, but this should be a rough translation, so here you go:

Roman Cavalry troopers
(middle first century)
Unknown origin

"This piece originates from a very big military structure.
The scene is rich of details of the Roman legions that conquered the Gallic tribes present at Arlon."

Ow, and of course many thanks for again a nice photoset.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Segmentata shoulder pieces plus trilobate sword pommels. Smile

Any defnite thoughts on the dating? 1st c. BCE? Someone a specific date?

Thanks for the cool pics!
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Laudes for the beautiful pictures.

I believe that the relief is dated to the second half of the 1st century AD (see Gabelmann, H. 1973: 'Römische Grabmonumente mit Reiterkampfszenen in Rheingebiet', Bonner Jahrbücher 173, 132-200) on stylistical grounds. It appears that more parts of the relief with a few defeated hairy Barbarians have been found on which a complete reconstruction of the relief is based. I have seen that reconstruction but I am sure where. It may have been in one of the Junkelmann books or in the recent "Krieg und Frieden" or Kalkriese exhibition catalogues. I will try to find the publication. This may have more specific dating information.

The relief appears to have been part of a monumental mausoleum. A very similar one with similar decoration has recently been found and dated earlier (30-35 AD), see:

[url:ur1fk9tz]http://hsozkult.geschichte.hu-berlin.de/forum/id=897&type=diskussionen#note20[/url]

and

[url:ur1fk9tz]http://homepage.univie.ac.at/~trinkle5/forum/forum0909/52kremer.htm[/url]

It is actually disputed whether the riders are wearing segmentata shoulder pieces or whether the "strips" may be a crude way of representing the leather edging of more conventional mail should doubling.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:It appears that more parts of the relief with a few defeated hairy Barbarians have been found on which a complete reconstruction of the relief is based. I have seen that reconstruction but I am sure where. It may have been in one of the Junkelmann books or in the recent "Krieg und Frieden" or Kalkriese exhibition catalogues. I will try to find the publication. This may have more specific dating information.

Silly me. Actually the reconstruction is proposed by Gabelmann himself at the end of the article I cited above. It shows two groups of Roman and "Barbarian" horsemen confronting each other, each in two registers. One or more of the Barbarians have fallen from their horses. Based on the new monument from Bartringen (see the links above), you may add one Roman dismounting to decapitate a fallen enemy.

The reconstruction is not based on additional finds from Arlon but on finds from other places (Wesseling, Koblenz) which show strong similarities in terms of style and composition and include the Barbarian side of the battle. Gabelmann dates all of these friezes to the second half of the 1st century AD based on stylistic similarities to Flavian cavalry grave stones. However, the Bartringen monument may indicate an earlier dating.

In any event all friezes appear to have belonged to tomb monuments consisting of a square platform with a monopteros on top as shown for the Bartringen monument if you follow the link above.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New excavation at Arlon bisdent 7 2,368 11-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Last Post: bisdent