Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surgical instruments for an amputation ala Celsius
I have recently acquired a set of roman surgical instruments from Steve Wagstaff and a few other traders, both at the IRM and before.

Reading through the ancient sources I came across few questions:

Celsius, in VII.33 described amputation to stop the spread of gangrene: "Therefore, between the sound and the diseased part, the flesh is to be cut through with a scalpel[1] down to the bone, but this must not be done actually over a joint, and it is better that some of the sound part should be cut away than that any of the diseased part should be left behind. 2 When the bone is reached, the sound flesh is drawn back from the bone [2] and undercut from around it, so that in that part also some bone is bared; the bone is next to be cut through with a small saw [3] as near as possible to the sound flesh which still adheres to it; next the face of the bone, which the saw has roughened, is smoothed down[4], and the skin drawn over it; this must be sufficiently loosened in an operation of this sort to cover the bone all over as completely as possible. The part where the skin has not been brought over is to be covered with lint[5]; and over that a sponge soaked in vinegar [6] is to be bandaged on [7]. The remaining treatment is that prescribed for wounds in which suppuration is to be brought about.

[1] Scalpel: check, will get more sizes, though.
[2] Sharp Hook: check. I assume a sharp hook will be used rather than a blunt one.
[3] Saw (in two sizes): check.

My questions now revolve around [4]-[7]

Most importantly, what instrument would be used for [4], smoothing the sawed? bone? Some kind of nailfile? Has anything of this kind been identified?

[5] and [7] Are there any special types of Roman lint and bandages? If so, does anyone offer them for sale?

[6] I assume we are speaking here about the sea-dwelling sponge, which should be available at stores dealing with bodycare? Vinegar, at least, is readily available, but, how does it affect the sponge?
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Hi Max,
unfortunately I do not understand very well the English language, but about (4) maybe you mean a file?
Well, in The Domus of surgeon in Rimini found a lot of instruments (many of them for bone surgery) and even a small iron file, measure about 12cm including tang without handle (probably wood or bone).
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Many thanks! That's exactly the kind of item I was hoping someone would know about. I've seen that you yourself create bronze replicas. Would you have more information on this file - or perhaps even a suggestion how to reconstruct it (the handle would have to be guesswork, of course).

I'm glad that this information is useful for you.

The file is small, if you want to build one yourself you have to build an hardened sharp chisel. Then carve the notches of the file with this chisel (and hammer) on a piece of steel and then quench it. Tempering if you use an high carbon steel!
However, if you want send me your email address in PM and I will send you a drawing with measurements of this file ;-)
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Or save yourself a lot of trouble and have Marco make one for you! I have ordered a good few medical instruments from him, he makes remarkable stuff at a very,very reasonable price (considering he is an absolute perfectionist). I can strongly recommend Marco as an absolute artisan with a wonderfull feeling for great replica's. And no, I do not get commission, I just love his work! :-)
He is too modest by half, he even recently made Museum het Valkhof (Nijmegen, they house the largest collection of Roman artifacts in the Netherlands in a great display)a surgical set of instuments for their educational department and they were VERY pleased with the quality of his work.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I've found some of Marco's works here on the forum - great stuff! I've PMed him, as you suggested.

Carrying on with surgical instruments, does anyone know whether there were special surgical needles for sewing wounds, or whether any kind would work (I assume the latter, given the extreme difficulties of identifying the context), and what they would use as thread.

Incidentally, I'll really have to make it to the Roman museum in Nijmegen soon!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  surgical instruments CM Demetrivs Medicvs 20 3,779 01-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Roman surgical instruments - My replicas MDF 48 11,872 12-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Robert