Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the Frisii
I've been researching the history of the Frisii, but really haven't found much about them. They are referenced by Pliny as the "Frisiavones" and are recorded in the Panegyrici Latini, but I don't have access to either of those documents.

Wikipedia records that they were involved in a few germanic uprisings in the 1st century, and seem to have become Laeti after 297. From there pottery finds indicate they were in modern-day Flanders and Kent in the 4th century, and the Notitia records a "Tribunis Cohortis Primae Frixiagorum Vindobala" which roughly translates to "Tribune of the First Frixagian Cohort" stationed on Hadrian's wall, which some have interpreted to be a misspelling of Frisiavones (Another name for Frisii).

Do any of you know more about the Frisians? Wikipedia I only find reliable for general information.
Quote:Panegyrici Latini, but I don't have access to either of those documents.

Here are the panegyrics - fully searchable translation, original text and notes. I'm amazed this is available online actually (I got a copy via university library loan last year and thought myself very lucky!):

In Praise of Later Roman Emperors

As for the Frisii - the people called by this name in the later period were probably not the same as those mentioned in the 1st century: their lands appear to have been abandoned at some point, and new settlers moved in who adopted the name. It's still rather cloudy.

Jona Lendering's short piece here on Livius is useful, and the book chapter linked at the end (Bazelmans' ‘The case of the Frisians’) provides a good survey of evidence.
Nathan Ross
English is still the closest relative of the Frisian languages - although English has diverged significantly since then. I suspect many early references to the Saxones refer to the Frisii and/or other coastal peoples, although later references to the Saxones also refer to inland peoples who had settled the marshes and forests and were approaching the coast.

Also look up Roman-age archaeology of the Wadden Sea and of terpen there.
Jona Lendering might be helpful, His book (in Dutch) " de rand van het rijk " is I belief being translated to English and he mentions the Frisii to.http://www.athenaeum.nl/shop/details/De+rand+van+het+Rijk&b=9789025367268
http://www.the-missinglink.nl/nieuws_46/...r_verlegd/
This might help.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Quote:Jona Lendering might be helpful, His book (in Dutch) " de rand van het rijk " is I belief being translated to English and he mentions the Frisii to.http://www.athenaeum.nl/shop/details/De+rand+van+het+Rijk&b=9789025367268
http://www.the-missinglink.nl/nieuws_46/...r_verlegd/
This might help.

Yes, the translation should be available shortly by Karwanserai publishers (the publisher of Ancient warfare magazine)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks guys, wikipedia says Frisia became nearly uninhabitable due to marine transgression in the late 4th and 5th centuries (which would explain why no maps of the Hunnic empire show them in Frisia) and then the Anglo-Saxons and Franks moved in in the 6th century.

I will be sure to check out those links. I plan on including the Original Frisii in my mod (it's 5th century but I need to have something to keep the franks busy, so balancing)and historical accuracy is always paramount.
Quote:Thanks guys, wikipedia says Frisia became nearly uninhabitable due to marine transgression in the late 4th and 5th centuries (which would explain why no maps of the Hunnic empire show them in Frisia) and then the Anglo-Saxons and Franks moved in in the 6th century.
A gross overstatement. Uninhabitabel? The influence of the sea surely grew, but there is a very big difference between 'nearly uninhabitable' and a rise in yearly flooding (meaning that the region was not flooded most of the year). Frisia was not deserted, but groups from Saxony/Denmark pushed in and may have subjugated/pushed out the Frisians we know from the 1st century.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hey can someone refer me to the frisian pottery finds in flanders and kent in the 4th-5th centuries? Thanks.