Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suicide from Gates Of Fire.
In Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield, a character suicide is said to be armed with short stabbing or throwing javelins. Would you call him a peltast? He seems like it but they make it sound like he is rather unique. Thanks. <p></p><i></i>
Doc,<br>
<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp This post would be perfect for the newly created GreekArmyTalk, which, as yet, has not begun a single discussion. Why don't you post there and let's get some things started.<br>
<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp As to the question, and maybe this will get some discussion going, since Mr. Pressfield has not been consulted: Spartans looked at all missile weapons as unmanly; they called arrows "spindles, distaffs, women's things." Since Suicide, if memory serves was not a Spartaniate peer, his foreign and suspect weaponry would not have been acceptable as official, though effective in his hands as I recall. The term peltast was orginally applied to the geographic region of Thrace, again not Spartan, though eventually it may have served as a generic term for lightly armed skirmishers with throwing spears (sometimes pictured as light javelins launched with a sling). I haven't read the book in some time, but I'll review it.<br>
<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Now the real horror, for those who want to know which enemy is coming before he arrives, "Gates of Fire" has been optioned and is in development for...George Clooney. It's time to raise a contingent and deploy to the undefended pass at GreekArmy Talk!<br>
<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Who will come with me?<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i></i>
Sure thing....where?<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Doc,<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Click on the new link to Greek Army Talk and add a new topic under either References and Reviews or Military and Archaeology.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suicide in historical movies L C Cinna 6 1,834 04-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Narukami