Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Colombian Voyages to America
Quote:This is a link to the collection site, scroll down just a bit for the helmets:
http://romanofficer.com/PermcolABU081212...tic_helmet

The author of that site also claims to have proof of a Roman expedition to America. :dizzy:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/entertainme...-virginia/
Jason

Nil igitur mors est ad nos neque pertinet hilum,
quandoquidem natura animi mortalis habetur.
All right, thank you for the info. Sad to know that they are fakes, even though I doubted them already. It would have been nice if they were real, but apparently they aren't.

So, the Roman Attic helmet with broad vertical visor doesn't exist.
There's only the Attic helmet with hammered shape of the brow guard on the forehead. Case closed for me.

Sad that there are people who try to milk money out of collectors by selling fake archaeological objects.
Antonius Insulae (Sakari)
Although his claims aren't probably true, there is evidence throughout the US and Central America and Canada that Ancient and Classical cultures visited America several times - some copper used in the Bronze age matches the copper composition of over 1 billion tons of missing ore in the Great Lakes region which disappeared over 3000 years ago. Not to mention bits of a Minoan tablet found in the area.

(Some of the Minoan inscriptions were a hoax, but others were possibly real)

Not to mention reported finds of Greco-Roman vessels in the Amazon Delta, which couldn't have been derelicts because they would have gotten stuck in the Amazon sea if they were.

There is also reported Roman Influence in (I think it's Olmec) some meso-american sculpture Sculpture.

Could these claims be false? Yes, they definitely could. But I also think it's possible some of this was true.
Quote:Although his claims aren't probably true, there is evidence throughout the US and Central America and Canada that Ancient and Classical cultures visited America several times - some copper used in the Bronze age matches the copper composition of over 1 billion tons of missing ore in the Great Lakes region which disappeared over 3000 years ago.

There is no real evidence for any "missing" ore. This archaeologist from Michigan, Dr. Susan R. Martin, has pretty strongly stated the case against that, and other myths here:
http://www.ramtops.co.uk/copper.html

I'm not familiar with the reported finds in the Amazon Delta you mentioned. Do you have any links regarding that information?
Jason

No I don't, again I've only heard about it. I said that I don't believe the claims are true, but I'm willing to concede that the evidence for the arguments is inconclusive. If they do ever find conclusive evidence, then I'll be willing to say "yes, the Romans were here."

I've heard of the finds a few years back, and I heard of a second find earlier this year, but never saw any links to the discovery.
Quote:No I don't, again I've only heard about it. I said that I don't believe the claims are true, but I'm willing to concede that the evidence for the arguments is inconclusive. If they do ever find conclusive evidence, then I'll be willing to say "yes, the Romans were here."

While the ancients may have had the capability, like you, I'll believe it when I see the real evidence. Smile
Jason

I heard the pyramids were built by ancient aliens....still waiting for the conclusive evidence
on that one too! :whistle:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
[Image: giorgiotsoukalos.jpg]

"My Hair? Aliens."
Quote:I heard the pyramids were built by ancient aliens....still waiting for the conclusive evidence
on that one too! :whistle:

That was actually proven on a History Channel program called "Star Gate." Or maybe that was on the SciFi channel...I'm not sure. It's hard to tell the difference these days.
Jason

Oh... and by the way. I have lived in Michigan all of my life! I have been to Copper country in the Upper Peninsula. And I have NEVER heard anywhere in our Michigan history that the copper had been mined by anyone of ancient history. Interesting.
Bad link, bro. Can you repost that URL?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
It is on the third page of this thread in Tarbicus's reply about half way in the middle.
Hopefully you will post the pictures! 8-)

The Vikings were on the west coast long before Columbus too.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The Ming sailed to Cali in 1423, there are Chinese records that back that up.

The Japanese visited in 2000 B.C. - The Zuni People in California are proven to be 10% Japanese, their history records that they escaped Japan in rougly 2000 B.C. after fleeing some sort of disaster, and searched the C.A. coast until they found a tribe of Native Americans with cultural and religious characteristics similar to their own, then they settled.

I can move this to another thread.
Quote:I can move this to another thread.
IF we're going vor trans-oceanic voyages, OT? If we remain within Roman times, leave it here I think?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)