Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mary Beard bomb threat
I was under the impression that she received the threat after appearing last week on the BBC political discussion programme: Question Time.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Quote:I was under the impression that she received the threat after appearing last week on the BBC political discussion programme: Question Time.

I think you are correct, Paul. I watched her programme on Caligula and cannot for the life of me see that there was anything there that could be considered as being controversial or warranting a response amounting to a threat to life and limb. I think that she made a very good fist in holding my interest for around an hour about a person who is notorious but about whom comparatively little is actually known (other than Suetonius' gossip that is).

"Question Time" is a much more likely candidate. For some reason - although the audience is supposed to be drawn from a cross section of the population - it sometimes happens that they get a very partisan group of people. I well remember the disgraceful 'rent-a-mob' they got on there, attacking America after 9/11 (and for which the BBC apologised). In any event, it is not remotely appropriate for a response of this type to be foisted on a lady who merely expressed her opinion, which we are all entitled to do in a 'free' society' - including those clowns who indulge in this sort of nonsense.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:Well Twitter is protected by Free Speech laws. You can say whatever you want, you have a right too, but you just have to suffer the consequences of what you say.

No. The First Amendment prohibits only government restrictions on speech. Private entities, such as twitter, facebook, or online newspapers can censor as much as they want.
There are some who call me ......... Tim?
Quote:Private entities, such as twitter, facebook, or
RAT
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/23565145
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Quote:I am reminded that Simon James got death threats from the new age celtic types when he pointed out that "Celt" is an 18th century invention.
He was also accused of committing 'genocide' against the Celts, which requires a particularly brilliant leap [strike]of[/strike]from logic.

The threats (rape, death etc.) against prominent female figures on Twitter at the moment is a revolting phenomenon, which has happened because the internet allows people (especially MRAs...) to revel in misogynistic humour anonymously, rather than out of deeply seated political objections. I can't say I'm overly upset about the subsequent investigations and arrests.
I don't go on Twitter much, but was flabbergasted when I saw Mary Beard on the news talking about receiving death threats!
What kind of morons do this
I had only seen here on the Caligula program what seemed like a day or 2 before,
And she is a very level headed and informative seeming woman,
Not the kind I can imagine stirring sentiments of murder towards her! :!:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
these people are morons of the lowest level, Mary Beard is as far I know is a great classcist who is one of the best. She seems to be a kind woman not a woman you would, threaten with death
"Quintili Vare, legiones redde!“

Augustus when heard of Varus his defeat at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW2 bomb explodes in Germany 17 injured Iagoba 8 1,777 09-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Na Saighdiuir