Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heavy Pilum Construction -- help?
Ave all!<br>
<br>
I've been looking for an exploded view of a heavy (as in weighted) pilum so I can make one that's historically accurate. So far no joy. I don't suppose any enthusiasts out there could point me in the direction of a web link or book that would have such a thing?<br>
<br>
Thanks!<br>
<br>
Te salutamus,<br>
Caius <p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
<br>
Presumably you're the fellow who emailed me late yesterday on this subject? Figured I'd answer here rather than make you wait for me to plow through a ton of other emails!<br>
<br>
I'm not sure where to find an exploded view of a pilum online, though I think Connolly shows one. There really isn't much to it, though. Here's the photo from my site:<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx/pila1.jpg<br>
<br>
The wood is all one piece, basically a square-section shaft that is whittled round for most of its length. A slot is cut in the top for the iron tang, and 2 or 3 holes drilled through for the rivets. The square iron ferrule goes over the end of the wood to prevent splitting.<br>
<br>
The weighted version is the same, the only addition being the weight. It's fairly small and round with a hole through it, and is slid on from the bottom end of the shaft until it sits against the bottom of the "joint block". It is not part of the joint itself, and none of the iron parts touch it.<br>
<br>
Be aware that no confirmed examples of the weighted pilum have been excavated. We're presuming that the weight was lead, but all we have to go by for size are carvings such as grave stones.<br>
<br>
That help? Glad you like the site! If you have more questions, sing out, either here or to me directly.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus, Legio XX <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf tiberius aemilius naso 7 3,346 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Robert
  Tanged Pilum Construction habbs 4 1,776 02-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Matthew Amt