Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mid-1st.-century pugio
I want to show you the last -quite simple- pugio I made: It`s not exactly based on a single find but a composition of different find-based pieces, scientific guess and the wishes of the customer.

Blade C 60 carbon steel with rod tang like many pieces from Vindonissa
2-piece Handle ebony with copper-alloy decorative rivets glued in. The 2-piece construction is a guess based on the bone handle from London
scabbard in oak with plate in blackened iron (I`ve found one single piece without inlays from Xanten), pelta-shaped mounts bronze, fixed with bronze rivets

Length: 321mm
Blade length: 198mm
Blade width: 40mm
Thickness: 5,3mm
Weight: 155gr

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
That is very, very smart Confusedmile:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Avete omnes

it is a very,very good reconstruction in fact from Vindonissa there are a lot of blade like this one,handle is very good and scabbard too.but carbon steel is sure that is C60??? Maebyn C70?
PierPaolo siercovich
NICE! :woot:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:but carbon steel is sure that is C60??? Maebyn C70?

Sure, I buy it regularly as C 60 in 6m-rods in different diameters.
Unfortunately, I have no sources for C 70, Ck 75, C 80 in useful dimensions here.
But the C 60 is a good mid-carbon "standard" tool steel for multi-purpose. It doesn`t get too hard but has the ability to forgive errors in everyday use
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Very elegant finish. Specially in the hilt. I liked the copper-ebony- latten combination
I can´t wait to make one for me borrowing this one. Pure envy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DRAWING AND MAKING A 2nd; 3rd; Century PUGIO Blade avgvstvscaesar 6 3,367 04-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Crispvs