Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick list for new arrivals
Greetings,<br>
Some friends and myself have just decided to expand our WW2 reenactment activity to Rome and very obvious questions arise we have learned painfully while learning in WW2.<br>
There are stuttlers galore and it takes quite some time to learn which ones are good and which not so. Plus, through our experience in WW2 we know it better to get slowly a impresion together that is correct and good rather than going for some cheap alternatives which you will swap sooner or later for the correct gear.<br>
<br>
So, I do not really know how mnay times have they asked this on this board or if there is some list displayed that will make me look stupid but here it goes.<br>
<br>
For your reenacting experience and having in mind good gear which does not yell "farb" please could you give us newbies where to buy what? I know there is a great list at the Legio XX website but that is not enough for those who have really no idea. Should I buy Indian? who has Indian? Should I buy my swords there too? Should I buy them by the Inch? Wool, where? Caligae...<br>
<br>
Its just so much to know and to know where to buy what but we really do not want end up having bought wrong stuff when the price for the items is so steep.<br>
<br>
Our idea is to portray Augustinian Legionaries like you could have found at Teutoburg forrest and as secondary posibility the generic Imperial Lorica Segmentata trooper that most reenact here.<br>
<br>
Someone gave me this website to buy from since we are from Spain too.<br>
<br>
www.armillum.com/<br>
<br>
Is the material good?<br>
<br>
Thanks many times in advance <p></p><i></i>
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
Armillium offers good stuff.<br>
<br>
I've also another good website for you.<br>
<br>
At [url=http://www.larp.com/legioxx" target="top]www.larp.com/legioxx[/url] you can find some pages called "thinks to avoid" and "suppliers". their you can find almost everythink about what good stuff is, and what not. You can find there much other informatio too.<br>
<br>
Bye,<br>
<br>
Jvrjenivs <p></p><i></i>
ALA I BATAVORUM
"Our idea is to portray Augustinian Legionaries like you could have found at Teutoburg forrest and as secondary posibility the generic Imperial Lorica Segmentata trooper that most reenact here"<br>
<br>
Awesome, the augustan period is a really fascinating time for roman military kit. You can certainly mix the first and second options, as the generic segmentata has proven use within the augustan era. You have a really wide choice for helmet designs (socalled montefortino/coolus + early imp-gallic) a myriad of possible shield patterns, very neat loking sword scabbards and much plainer daggers (easier to make!)<br>
<br>
An excellent group which already portrays this era is Pax Augusta of france, they are developing some very nice kit, in particular some rather fine early imperial gallic helms which are seldom seen in other groups. I firmly recommend a book written by one of their members (Francois Gilbert: Le Soldat Romain) released last month, which shows their groups kit & several others besides (including mine...!!). Its available on amazon france. <p></p><i></i>
Hi Ebusitanus,<br>
<br>
I have the same Pompeii Gladius (Model 4211) that Armillum sells and I'm quite happy with it. You would definitely have to replace the black leather on the scabbard with thin brown leather, like goatskin, but that's no big chore.<br>
<br>
I can't say I like their Pilum (Model AR001)- the junction block (where the iron shank meets the top of the wood shaft) looks too small, and the brass buttspike is odd- it should be steel.<br>
<br>
One thing you might consider is making some things yourselves- I made all my own kit save for the helmet and Gladius. It cost a lot less and it was actually quite enjoyable. Matt Amt's LEGIO XX website has some great directions, and there are lots of people here that can help.<br>
<br>
Matt <p></p><i></i>
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I really apreciate your pointers and I have been perusing the Leg XX web for quite some time and they do have a very nice suttler list. YET, for someone not initiated at all in this hobbie but with enough experience doing WW2 Reenacting, I know that some copies are better than others and a steeper price tag does not equal automatically quality. Not few times have I bought stuff in my begining days thinking it was good only to find out at a later stage its totally farb.<br>
We want to spend our good money in quality so that we do not have to come back in a year having to buy the right stuff when we got wiser.<br>
<br>
So...maybe my petition was a bit to overwhelming and I should go step by step<br>
<br>
First...Caligae, Belt, Tunic, Pugio, cloak and perhaps the Helmet too.<br>
<br>
For an Augustan Legionaire..where would you send your son to buy those (provided, like me, you have not the time to build it on your own).<br>
<br>
Thanks again <p></p><i></i>
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
In my opinion you should definitely make the cloak and tunic yourself(or have someone do it who can make it). They are very easily constructed and there are a lot of other things to spend your money on.<br>
<br>
Best regards,<br>
Marcus Mummius <p></p><i></i>
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Salve Ebusitanus! Not sure from your post if you're in Spain or ? I'm with Matt Amt's Legio XX, and the members both buy and / or make almost everything but helmet and sword at our montly workshops/fabrica. Matt's "things to look for/avoid" list is a good way to evaluate individual vendor sites for decent equipment and pricing.<br>
<br>
Further, the build/buy decision depends in part on how difficult it is to buy the supplies. Can you get the right weight leather easily? Sheet brass? rivets? Ever try to find waxed linen thread? Not to mention all the tools you will find you need! However, if you keep it up you'll have a well equipped workshop! <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Salve ebusitanus!<br>
<br>
By your name i supose that you are from Eivissa. I'm from Tarraco. There are many ways to get good stuff at Catalonia. All depends the money you can spend on it. You can buy the caligae, cloak, tunica, gladius, pugio and some helmets at Armillum. The stuff are very good and some are made by one RAT's member, Octavianus.<br>
<br>
Armae (armae.com) have more models of helmets, cingula, etc. The helmets are Indian ones, but only the real accurate models. They have a very serious policy of trade.<br>
<br>
Hoger Ratsfold (Germany)www.hr-replikate.de have a lot of metal things, like fibulae, belt pieces, etc. It's more expensive, but the quality is superb.<br>
<br>
I hope that helps you. Welcome to the roman reenactment.<br>
<br>
Vale <p></p><i></i>
Rich,<br>
<br>
You can get waxed linen thread from jas townsend.<br>
<br>
Dave <p>[url=http://www.freewebs.com/davekufner" target="top]www.freewebs.com/davekufner[/url]</p><i></i>
Actually, I searched all over for waxed linen, to find in my old stand by variety store down the street, in two colors. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?