Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
China vs Rome for control of Silk Road new movie
They seem to have assembled a good cast but how will the Romans be depicted in this upcoming Chinese language movie about a “what if" the Romans attempted to take control of the Silk Road.

http://io9.com/its-hard-to-believe-this-...socialflow
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Looks well made if the script is any good it might be a decent film, though firmly in the fantasy genre Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
No doubt this film will have its purist detractors. But alternative history is always fascinating to me. Hopefully it is well made. There is nothing quite as much fun as a fantasy movie which at least resembles historical possibilities. With Jackie Chan and John Cusack it should be good. I look forward to its release in the States.

Publius Quinctius Petrus Augustinus
(aka Pierre A. Kleff, Jr.)
Petrus Augustinus
After reading the IMDB

"My lord Caesar the omens are bad! I could not find a heart within the beast".

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
[Image: 4f74d22c30208.png]
Everything but Rome kicking Han China's butt must be filed under the rubric alternate scenario within an alternate scenario, that is fictitious history of the second order.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:After reading the IMDB

"My lord Caesar the omens are bad! I could not find a heart within the beast".

Graham.

Schwarzenegger's 'Conan the Barbarian' wasn't exactly a cinematic masterpiece either, yet I still watch it and have a copy because you're Goddamned right I do. Cool

I think as long as you go in knowing it's going to be a bad movie and watching it purely for the mindless escapism, then it should be fine. And fun. Just don't be the guy exclaiming how wildly inaccurate everything is during the show - some of those ushers have a temper. :razz:
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
Quote:"My lord Caesar the omens are bad! I could not find a heart within the beast".
The omens are certainly bad but not for the reason stated. As the sacrificial beast could not have existed without a heart, the haruspex who could not find it is plainly incompetent. Consequently, any predictions that he makes based upon the examination of the entrails are bound to be suspect or just plain wrong and any decisions based upon them are likely to lead to disaster. Caesar should get another haruspex ASAP.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:The omens are certainly bad but not for the reason stated. As the sacrificial beast could not have existed without a heart, the haruspex who could not find it is plainly incompetent. Consequently, any predictions that he makes based upon the examination of the entrails are bound to be suspect or just plain wrong and any decisions based upon them are likely to lead to disaster. Caesar should get another haruspex ASAP.

Bibant, quoniam esse nolunt.
Quote:Caesar should get another haruspex ASAP.

No, Caesar shall not: danger knows full well
That Caesar is more dangerous than he...
Nathan Ross
Quote:No, Caesar shall not: danger knows full well
That Caesar is more dangerous than he...
And we all know what happened after that! Perhaps the omen lies, not in the lack of a heart, but in the incompetence of the haruspices in being unable to find it. I suppose it comes to the same thing in the end.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
"If you listen very carefully.....you will hear the gods laughing!"

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
But do you all have the mental and emotional fortitude to bear witness to the supposedly Roman swords and armor? It makes you pine for the leather armor so common to Hollywood. I'll bet each and every one of you ruin the movie for anyone you watch it with by complaining about that gladius the whole way through.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Oh my, a forked tip... :o
At least they did a better job with Adrian Brody's armor. If you squint really hard you can pretend that it was inspired by samnite armor.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome Sweet Rome movie D B Campbell 9 2,400 03-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  New Film: Rome Vs. China ... Narukami 20 7,752 07-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Magnus
  Rome vs. han china Steakslim 3 1,293 11-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Vincula