Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different shapes of Lorica Squamatas.
Hi there!

I recently purchased brass scales and I am planning to make a new cuirass for me. I already have one, a very common style with a round collar. I was thinking of what kind of evidence we really have on the different shapes of the lorica squamata/plumatas? Where is the evidence for this round collar? I have seen frescoes also of full-length squamatas with sleeves. I was thinking about making a short, simple cuirass with no round collar on the shoulders. I have also been toying with an idea of adding shoulder guards/pauldrons or is it plausible at all (there are in some mosaics some which could be perhps interpreted as such)? What do you think? Any ideas?  Huh

There is an interesting discussion about possible late roman pauldrons here: http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/thread-...t=pauldron
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Hi,
I recently made a Lorica Squamata without a round collar. Mine is for gladiatorial use, so not based on and specific design. The images which appear to show gladiators in Squamata are very poor in detail, so it is hard to base a design on them. 
I have opted for a basic tubular torso. You will need to think about how the two sides meet when they reach the shoulders, as you will have an unprotected area. I used leather to fill the void. 
I will try and attach an image. 
Please excuse the wrong subarmilis and that my scales need adjusting slightly to fill the gaps on the chest and shoulders. 

Mark

Photo of my scale armour during training.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mark

Marcus Tacitus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pugio Sheath Shapes Crispvs 14 6,686 12-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Matthew Amt