Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another primary consideration in introduction & eventual disappearance of Segmentata?
Sorry I am doing something else, I'll come back to this later.

I'd love to see the research in which someone estimates the cost of armor produced using ancient smithing techniques and ore. Especially to create the steel required for segmentata.

We see plate completely replace mail as the preferred armor when it entered production again in the Late Middle Ages, some 1,250 years after the Romans first produced it. Incidentally, it was the world's first and only Western superpower that used plate armor first.

Incoming sarcasm!

Segmentata was ineffective, cheap, uncomfortable, overly complicated, hard to maintain.

Yet for some unknown reason, they couldn't let it go until their Empire was falling apart at the seams. Makes a lot of sense. Actually, no it doesn't. And still there hasn't been one single good reason that anybody has mentioned in this thread for why the Roman's used it in the first place! None. They already had plenty of hamata laying around, why would they commission another inferior armor type? It makes NO sense unless they were extremely pleased with its performance.
Christopher Vidrine, 30

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another primary consideration in introduction & eventual disappearance of Segmentata? - by CNV2855 - 11-30-2015, 10:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disappearance of the military triumph constantius 9 3,777 11-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Disappearance of velites Gladius Hispaniensis 12 4,599 06-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Coriolanus
  IX Hispania Disappearance Myth Hoojio 18 6,804 03-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale