Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show here your Roman soldier impression
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats pretty funny !
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
No, not really funny sometimes. I´m the only one that served as a really soldier in a really army (if you can call the Bundeswehr a really army!), the rest are weekend-warriors! Even my Centurio refused to do millitary-service!
Sometimes, they missunderstand my orders to change the formation or direction, and than each one walk in another direction or even stop. You should see it. It looks like chicken that run away from a fox.
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Ivan, really great impression!

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI

Glad you found it!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote: Sometimes, they missunderstand my orders to change the formation or direction, and than each one walk in another direction or even stop. You should see it. It looks like chicken that run away from a fox.

:lol: :lol:

Nice photo Ivan! Really great impression!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Thaaaaank you for your kind comments lady & gentelmen!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Here is a shot of me in the 4th/5th century rig that I have constructed for SCA combat. The tunic and trousers hide my arm and leg armour. The scales are mostly bronze with mild steel borders. For the moment I am using my ACW brogans as the least offensive footware option until I can try my hand at making a pair of late Roman closed toe boots. This board has been a big inspiration as I have worked on this over the past year and more.

[Image: lateromanalec0802zk0.th.jpg]
Allectus
Alec Arago
Spreckels, CA
Well done, Sir. Where did the scales come from? And your shield design?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
I've been contemplating some kind of gorget/focale combo to meet SCA regs. What was your solution? Do you have any close-up pics?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Euge!!

Truly one of the finest SCA impressions, of any era, I have ever seen.

Well done,

Tom
Meus caput capitis est quoque magnus pro meus galea!

Titus Tiberivs Crispvs

Tom Clegg
Des Moines, IA
USA
Quote:Euge!!

Truly one of the finest SCA impressions, of any era, I have ever seen.

Well done,

Tom

I agree, great impression!

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Salve!

Thank you for all of your kind words. This is the first time I've posted on this board but just love all of the info.

The scales I made -- there are about 1,400 of them. I ordered the bronze in 1" wide strips from Herzog & Co. in Philadelphia. Then i just fabricated the individual scales using a combo of shears, belt sander, punches, and drill. My psychiatrist says that with enough therupy and the right drugs I should recover.

For the shield design, I just used my SCA badge (a heraldic barnacle) in a format that sorta kinda looks like it could have been listed in the notitia dignitatum. I plan to make another shield with a actual design taken from the notitia.

Neck armour -- its built into the arming doublet that goes underneath the tunica. The doublet also supports my arm armour. I made the doublet for a 15C rig so there is a mail standard sewn over the leather and plate gorget part -- for looks of course. I just wrap a linen scarf over the mail to hide it. Suppose I should make a dedicated arming doublet for this rig with just the build in gorget to reduce the bulk around the neck. Here is a photo showing what I'm talking about:

[Image: lateromanalec0824iy8.th.jpg]
Allectus
Alec Arago
Spreckels, CA
Hi Al!

Very nice-looking armour!

Quote:This board has been a big inspiration as I have worked on this over the past year and more.
Thanks for the compliment!

Ah, would you add your real name to your sig please? It's a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That's a lotta work!

I had the good fortune to test drive a lovely scale cuirass over mail recently - you can really feel the difference in shock absorption, for surprisingly little extra weight. Could have done with that at Jorvik last weekend: took a few spear strikes in the soft bits!
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression Paul Elliott 20 11,213 10-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression Tadius Danartus 14 6,691 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar