Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show here your Roman soldier impression
Hi guys!

Shooting a bow of, lets say, with a draw weight over 70 pounds requires a totally different technique than with a traditional victorian style where the anchor point is at the corner of the mouth. I have a Grozer THR laminated turkish bow of 60# draw weight and it is for fun. The c-shape of the bow clearly adds to the dynamism of the bow, it is fast and accurate. Unfortunately it is clearly meant to be shot with a thumb-ring because of the acute angle of the string when drawn. I use the mediterranean three-fingered release and it is not as clear as I would like. It is also painful to the fingers because they are pressed so hard against the string / arrow shaft. I have also Kassai`s 110# bow but I am not shooting with it anymore because in relation to it`s draw weight it is not fast / powerful at all! The bow weight itself about 1 kilo and it is just too heavy to be efficient (because of the weight of the fiberglass). I would love to have 100# bow which would weigh 500gr tops...

Ps. lovely bow, Byron Confusedhock: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Cheers Virilis.
The solution for the nipping fingers is the draw glove for the three fingers perhaps?
I have both a thumb ring and the glove, but still need to try to compare.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Cheers Virilis.
The solution for the nipping fingers is the draw glove for the three fingers perhaps?
I have both a thumb ring and the glove, but still need to try to compare.

Hi Byron!

I use both three-fingered glove and a shooting tab but after shooting for a while the pressure still gets to your fingers. With the short bows the string angle is so acute and I think that`s why the thumb-release was invented in the first place. I sometimes tape my fingers under the glove or tab but still after 1 hour of shooting it gets a bit painful..
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
OK thanks. Will see how I get on with it.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Heres my Late Roman impression- now if someone could photoshop out the modern people in the background....I have absolutely no idea how to do this!!
[Image: caballo2010.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Heres my Late Roman impression- now if someone could photoshop out the modern people in the background....I have absolutely no idea how to do this!!
Hi Paul - great outfit ( I've sure I know that tunic from somewhere.... maybe I just have to turn my head and look hedind me?)!! Big Grin

I've got rid of the people, the ropes, the banner and the crane. I just hope I did the gate justice. Where was this taken?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks Vorti!

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Hello Caballo.

Here is your picture without the people.

All the best,
Rhun
David Castriota
Quote:Here is your picture without the people.
I think you did the gate more justice, but you forgot the crane! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks both!
Cheers
Caballo

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Nice gear Caballo.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Great picture and great kit Smile
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
[attachment=5:zf1x5flm]<!-- ia5 MarcThruTime04-10.JPG<!-- ia5 [/attachment:zf1x5flm]
Marcellus Valerius Gothicus (aka Dave Dietrich)
Excellent impression- and good to see that any Barbarian incursion from the west of Britannia is covered!

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Quote:And then there were four....
We did have five soldiers at one point, but he was avolunteer who had other duties.
He may join us though, the season is young....

[Image: Advance.jpg]

[Image: Readytoassault.jpg]

Excellent! Smile oops:
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression Paul Elliott 20 11,213 10-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression Tadius Danartus 14 6,690 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar