Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
City Traffic Laws
Incidentally, there is a reconstruction of a covered carriage with four wheels at Cologne, reported on the Internet as a CARPENTVM but by my source a PILENTVM.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-B2jWVrNt4iI/US...entum3.jpg

It is far less elaborate than the CARPENTA of Livia (Tiberian sestertius of 22-23 C.E.) and of Agrippina (Gaian [Caligula's] sestertius of 37-41 C.E.), both having caryatides to support the roof and figural panels in relief, as well as turned wheel-spokes and an ornamented roof.

''The carpentum of later times was a luxurious and richly ornamented carriage, used for travelling purposes and also for state occasions (Juv. 8.147 ; 9.132). We read of silken curtains (or cushions?), serica carpenta [p. 1.367](Propert. 5.8, 23). It was commonly drawn by a pair of mules (carpentummulare, Lamprid. Heliog. 4); more rarely by oxen or horses, and sometimes by four horses as a quadriga. The form of this carriage is seen on the preceding medal. When Caligula instituted games and other solemnities in honour of his deceased mother the elder Agrippina, her carpentum went in the procession (Suet. Cal. 15); and medals, still extant, commemorated the event. Agrippina's carriage, as represented above, shows painting or carving on the panels, and the head is supported by Caryatides at the four corners.'' [Dict. Gr. & Rom. Antiq., Wayte, Smith and Marindin, 1920]

It's interesting to note the use of mules as opposed to horses -- modern society uses the mule chiefly as a beast of burden and it is  a ''low-status'' animal, whereas in Rome it drew the cars of empresses. I am wandering rather from the original subject, but it is interesting, I hope, to see the vehicles so regulated.

From the same source I attach A. a PLAVSTRVM and B. the triumphal chariot. A representation of the THENSAE has eluded me.

I cannot get A or B. to attach properly, here in the link:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/imag...3.fig20433

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/imag...3.fig20896

With regard to the hours of the day,  I seem to remember the first hour began at dawn, the sixth at mid-day and the twelfth the hour before dusk. I was also taught ''to the modern hour add  but six -- this the Roman hour will fix''. This only works from the seventh to the twelfth, and makes ''the tenth hour'' begin at four o'clock. Incidentally, the reverse of this rhyme (take six from the modern hour) works from the first to the sixth (giving seven o'clock as the first, eight as the second, nine as the third and so on)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Patrick J. Gray

'' Now. Close your eyes. It's but a short step to the boat, a short pull across the river.''
''And then?''
''And then, I promise you, you'll dream a different story altogether''

From ''I, Claudius'', by J. Pulman after R. Graves.

Messages In This Thread
City Traffic Laws - by Nathan Ross - 07-12-2017, 07:26 PM
RE: City Traffic Laws - by Eleatic Guest - 01-11-2018, 02:52 PM
RE: City Traffic Laws - by Nathan Ross - 01-11-2018, 03:56 PM
RE: City Traffic Laws - by Eleatic Guest - 01-11-2018, 07:29 PM
RE: City Traffic Laws - by Nathan Ross - 01-11-2018, 08:29 PM
RE: City Traffic Laws - by Clavdivs - 01-11-2018, 09:21 PM
RE: City Traffic Laws - by Lothia - 01-14-2018, 02:56 PM
RE: City Traffic Laws - by Clavdivs - 01-14-2018, 04:19 PM
RE: City Traffic Laws - by Nathan Ross - 01-14-2018, 05:02 PM
RE: City Traffic Laws - by Clavdivs - 01-14-2018, 06:06 PM
RE: City Traffic Laws - by Nathan Ross - 01-14-2018, 06:17 PM