Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detector find ethics
If all else fails and it is certain that a valuable archaeological site is just going to be bulldozed without a proper dig, then yes, it would be excusable. Just for good measure, those looters should gather as many people together as they possibly can and raise holy hell as far and wide as possible.

Have we discussed the treaty of Malta here before? That should cover this problem and seems to often do here.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Have we discussed the treaty of Malta here before? That should cover this problem and seems to often do here.
I haven't heard of it.....or don't think I have..... :?
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
The text is here: http://www.archis.nl/content%5Cnieuwe-c ... st.xml.asp
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
This goes against Section 3, Article 5, surely..as far as Thornborough is concerned
(from the Appeal against planning application page)...and there is Roman period archaeology at stake here too...

Given that T.....s planning application fails at least four council planning policies and all this additional delay can hope to address is one of those TimeWatch believe it was entirely wrong for the council to grant the delay and the research is needlessly destroying yet more of Thornborough's archaeological landscape. This work should be stopped and the planning process be allowed to continue.

The area threatened contains archaeological remains of a prehistoric settlement - used by those who long ago came to the henges for ritual activities. This is one of only a handfull such sites known in Britain.

It is also likely to contain other important archaeological features. Experience from The current quarry shows that the area continued in use for ritual activity until the Roman period - burials and other features were found dating fromthe early Bronze Age to the Late Iron Age.

The proposed site is shown in red on the plan (left). Based on the archaeology discovered and removed by the current quarry it is highly likely that several hundred archaeological features lie undiscovered on Ladybridge, these will be partially recorded and destroyed if the quarry proceeds.

This latest application signals T.....'s intent to continue the destruction of the ritual landscape of the henges and means all features not specifically protected by law will be lost with the minimum of archaeological investigation. The map above shows the impact of past quarrying, the current quarry and the planned extension, it also shows a further area - Thornborough Moor that T..... have announced they wish to quarry.
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
If experts have to be consulted, then as far as I'm aware there is no pre-requisite qualification required in the UK for someone to call themselves an archaeologist.

Also, in theory it is probably all well and good, but the fact is that here, if someone builds on a plot of land without planning permission, the greatest likelihood is they will never have any problems from the council. Either they will have sweetened someone on the council, or the fact they have already built on the land makes it much more difficult for the development to be torn down. That is exactly what happened behind my house.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
It's going rather off topic with Thornborough, so I will start a new thread ......the more who know about it, the better....where would it be best....Off Topic ?
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Arthes, I don't think you're off-topic. It's a relevant example of one side to what seems to me a many-sided coin. But if you wanted to start a thread specific to Thornborough then do so by all means.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ethics & 3D printing Pompeii bodies richsc 11 2,561 06-26-2015, 06:48 AM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius
  Roman ethics lyuv 13 3,060 03-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Ensifer