On e-bay I've seen this I century partly silvered cavalry helmet:

[url:1snpuo4r]http://www.angloantiquities.com/helmetonea.jpg[/url]

Its buy it now price is: GBP 325.00

It seems true, what do you think?

Valete
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
And this cavalry sports masked one, too, US $810.00:

www.landesmuseum-stuttgart.de/.../paradehelm.jpg
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Are you sure they're selling the complete helmet and not a piece of one that is similar, like part of a cheek piece? They're not using the photo to illustrate the helmet the part could have come from, which I know they do frequently.

BTW, your second link hasn't been typed correctly.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ejem.... Confusedhock:

Look here:

http://www.legionsix.org/cavalryright.jpg

It's not only the same helmet. It's the same photo.

Could be a reselling from another auction?

the helmet looks true :lol:
Quote:On e-bay I've seen this I century partly silvered cavalry helmet:

[url:189o14bc]http://www.angloantiquities.com/helmetonea.jpg[/url]

Its buy it now price is: GBP 325.00

It seems true, what do you think?

Valete

Ave omnes,

I think that's the No 461 of the Ex- Axel Guttmann Collection, featuring the missing ear guard rivet and the two parallel scratches at the bottom rim of the cheek guard.

I bet Christie's earned more than 325 GBP with their auction :lol:
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
I can't find it anywhere on Anglo Antiquities site or Ebay shop.

READ THE ENTIRE EBAY LISTING

I have to strongly point out that Adam uses photos of complete items to simply illustrate where the part he has for sale could have come from. He is usually not selling the complete helmet, for instance.

If in this case he is then I myself am interested.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbi can be right, last time they were selling pieces.

But some time sellers of ebay post photos of similar Ittems, & not the one of the picture.... You better contact the seller before you buy it.

last time I was dealing with someone that was selling a seg lorica, but post pictures of various site, wrongly he post one of newstead, & the lor type A or?... then I told him his mistake, then he show me the real thing in private, I didnt buy it...

You may do so, if he respond to you, ask him to show you really what he is selling.

I doubt very much, that he is selling the real thing or complete helmet in the picture for that price... at less its stolen! :twisted:

Good luck.

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:But some time sellers of ebay post photos of similar Ittems, & not the one of the picture.... You better contact the seller before you buy it.
Don't worry about that with Anglo Antiquities. In fact they go to great lengths to show high resolution photos of their items as they are. I suspect the listing is for a fitting similar to one on the original Guttmann helmet.

However, if he does have it I predict the reserve has not been met, and it's got to that price within a few hours.

I'll also point out that this thread is probably about to reap the wrath of the Mods for breaking forum rules. I'm just trying to make sure nobody goes bidding on it thinking they're buying a Guttmann helmet when it's probably only a fitting from a similar type.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ave omnes,

here's the original Christie's photo from the Legio VI ('real gear').

It shows definitely the Ex-Axel Guttman No 461.

http://www.legionsix.org/cavalryright.jpg :wink:
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
I apologize :oops: it seems that I was so amazed by seeing such a piece on e-bay after a simple search on Google images, that I did not scroll down the page, except that sincerely I did not remember the word "roundel" when I visited it... Sorry again.

this is the page:

edited by caiustarquitius due to violation of forum rules

this is a replica:

edited by caiustarquitius due to violation of forum rules
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

I have edited your posts. Please follow the link in my signature to make yourself familiar with the forum rules.

If you want to share these pics, download them, host them somewhere, and put the link in your posting. You cab apply for free webspace here on RAT
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
5. No advertising of unprovenanced archaeological/cultural goods for sale. Members may post links to specific images (.jpg/.gif) on sale sites, but not the listing or home site itself. If you can show that the item is provenanced or held by a museum/established collector, you may discuss the items for sale. When in doubt, ask a moderator! This policy exists to discourage the trade in illegal antiquities, which destroys countless archaeological sites in the hunt for artifacts.

The complete helmet is an ebay replica. That is not against the rules.
The link to the ebay selling of a single actual piece, is against the rules as far as I can tell.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Tarquitius,

Quote:advertising of unprovenanced archaeological/cultural goods for sale
?

I've right understood? I've not showed the link to advertise anything! Or suggest to buy anything to anyone! Ok for respecting RAT rules but that looks excessive and offensive to me! If I've not understand your sense tell me, if not I think you have to apologize.
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Simple answer

Linking to actual artifacts for sale on ebay is a violation of the RAT rules, even if you are just showing them to people.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
So just show the image, without a link to the eBay page itself. That way you can discuss it without breaking any forum rules.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this helmet FAKE in Rome army? Morloc 1 356 10-07-2021, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  New Roman (fake?) helmet from Fischer auction Ildar 7 2,046 08-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Renatus
  Roman helmet on auction Genuine or Fake? jho 19 4,969 10-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe