Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Britain imagery
Hi all, I will soon be designing the cover of a book about the Roman army's exit from Britain in 410AD.

I was wondering if anyone would like to offer recommendations of Late Roman imagery to be used on the front cover. The author already has a certain coin in mind, but I thought this could be paired up with something else in the background, maybe a map of Britain from the Notitia Dignatatum.
This book doesn't have a big-time budget, so commissioning a painting by Angus McBride is out of the question. I think a photo of a Late Roman site or object would be appropriate. Calling my attention to an art motif common to Roman objects could also helpful in the design. I'm much more familiar with 1st century Rome, so your ideas are welcome!
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
I think a picture of the massive fortifications of a Saxon Shore fort or a Late Roman town-wall would prove suitable and very recognisable to the audience. bastions or towers. Cearwent would also be a good choice.

You could ask Graham Sumner about very good paintings! He's on this forum.

Some images, to get an idea:

Pevensey:
[Image: pevensey.jpg]
Burgh Castle:
[Image: burgh.jpg]
Or maybe a line drawing?
Caerwent:
[Image: caerwent01.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Who is the publisher?

Its not my book is it? 8)
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
PM sent
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Military Hierarchy of Late Roman Britain A. Flavius 3 2,255 07-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Satellite imagery and Varus\'s battle richsc 2 1,162 04-05-2002, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Anonymous