Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman legionary hair length
I was wondering about the hair length of roman legionaries, would standards of hair length have been enforced like the modern military or did legionaries just have short hair because most roman men wore it that way?
I found this in Ancient European Costume and Fashion by Herbert Norris:

"During the whole period of the empire, men's hair was worn short, the maximum length of locks being from one and a half to two inches, and varying at times from almost a close crop to wavy curles. the hair was brushed or combed from the crown of the head forward onto the temples."

Fashionable men also curled and crisped thier hair with hot tongs, and general practice among men was to use oils, perfumes and dyes.

"In the early part of the 1st century A.D. , a craze started for powdering the hair with gold dust..."
Gallus Marinus Micarius
a.k.a. Peter Van Rossum
LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB
FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS
I'm moving this to *Roman* Military History, since it's more appropriate there...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:"In the early part of the 1st century A.D. , a craze started for powdering the hair with gold dust..."

I wonder if that applied to legionaries, or of the centurions put up with it. Wink
Jenny Dolfen

My illustrated novel project: [URL="http://darknessovercannae.com/"]Darkness over Cannae[/URL]
Very good rule of thumb: look at the emperors of the day. That defines what's acceptable. Long beards during Hadrian's day, short cropped hair and short beards in the early 3rd century. Clean shaven in the early/mid 4thC.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Gallus Marinus Micarius
Hmm interesting, could you give me exect page on which it was written? Perhaps I will use this phrase in my work Smile
Daniel Budacz

Fortuna non penis, in manus non receptus...
Voila, a 3rd century haircut Big Grin
(featuring Maximinus Thrax in - "From Legionary to (assassinated) Emperor" within one generation :wink: )
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Antek ~

The information on my above post was found on page 112 of the text Ancient European Costume and Fashion by Herbert Norris, Dover Publications. There is A LOT more information on hair styles in the book, covering many different time periods (greek, republican roman, the empire, etc. thru the middle ages). A great book and highly recommended...lots of info on tunica, female clothing, etc.

Jenny - I think legionaries that considered using gold dust in their hair would have not only been accused of being "greek" in every sense of the word, but most likely would have been given perpetual latrine duty...

Micarius
Gallus Marinus Micarius
a.k.a. Peter Van Rossum
LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB
FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS
Hi,

I think this topic came up earlier already. Anyway in my opinion we should distinguish between civil and military haircut and further between different areas / people of the of the empire. Certainly a native of the near east looked different from a miles of Italic origin which in turn looked different from his Germanic counterpart.

Further there is probably a different between "regular" Roman troops and the foederati, which originally served in a unit and with leaders of the same ethnic background, using there own equipment. I remember some text discribing the triumph of some emperor, I think it was Marc Aurel returning from Dacia, were the population of Rome was appalled at the appearance of the soldiers moving into the city. The Romans considered these soldiers as barbarians.

Form my personal (modern) experience, I would wear shortish hair in service. On one hand you are sooner finished in the morning, one the other hand will want get rid of the long hair anyway out in the fields, without popper washing facilities, if you have sweat long enough and are tired of
combing the knots out of your hair.

Just my two pence.

Cheers,

Helge
If you run away from an archer...
Quote:Form my personal (modern) experience, I would wear shortish hair in service.
No chance of recruiting YOU into the Comitatenses then, eh Helge? :wink:

[Image: 2006archeon_batavi20.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Richomeres:2e3hrd6j Wrote:Form my personal (modern) experience, I would wear shortish hair in service.
No chance of recruiting YOU into the Comitatenses then, eh Helge? :wink:

Hi Robert,

I was not really referring to re-enactment with that....

I am very happy being a barbarian mercenary always a chance to loot, mutiny is just around the corner and if your employer is a jerk you can change sides :twisted:

Cheers,

Helge
If you run away from an archer...
Quote:I am very happy being a barbarian mercenary always a chance to loot, mutiny is just around the corner and if your employer is a jerk you can change sides :twisted:

Thought so. :twisted: Foederati rabble!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Long hair also increases the chances for lice and other things living in your hair.
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
[Image: edo_img_8hair.jpg]

Trying to get this growing at the mo.... however i dont know wether i will shave my head like most of the samurai........

Why does long hair take so darn long!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
was the dusting of gold dust not a fad kicked of by Caligula or Commodus? it seems to ring a bell from something I read!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Length of late roman mail Sisyphus 1 934 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Later Roman spear length Nicholas Gaukroger 29 14,317 12-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio