Sea sponge helmet linings
Plenty of leaves on the march Smile lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
My undergrad Ancient History professor (long ago .. in a galaxy far, far away) said that they kept multiple sponge/stick systems soaking upside down in a trough of vinegar. Always remembered the story, but never asked him where he got that "nugget of information". At least you would have your choice of communal toilet paper! Confusedhock: That would have taken care of the infection side, but opened a new series of concerns depending on personal medical conditions. :oops: As it was explained, the system was similar to the feather outside the "vomitorium".

Cordially,

Michael
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
...but we're off the topic of helmets lined with sponge. I take the blame.

Back to the elephant ear sponge...it is native to the Indian Ocean, not the Mediterranean. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... cleid=2172

Sea wool seems to be used these days for painting, the so-called "faux finishes" (sounds like they don't quite get to the line, eh?) and "Mediterranean sponge" googles that they're mostly used for cosmetic application and removal.
http://www.aquaaccessories.co.uk/cgi-bi ... wprod_FS3W

But I suppose any kind of dry sponge could be cut with a sharp blade into padding for a helmet. I do think it would need to be inside a cloth cover, though, because sponge tends to get damaged pretty easily, and it would need repair more often if it were not covered than if it were.

Just my thoughts, though. Natural sponge is available in many craft and/or art supply stores.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
i used to live in tarpon spring florida. i've pretty much seen everything you can do with a spong.
marcus aelius cicero
Quote:i used to live in tarpon spring florida. i've pretty much seen everything you can do with a spong.
Do tell more.

Wim, let us know how you get on. It may be that using sponge could mean the only covering needed on your head would be a simple wool or linen cap, not an elaborate padded jobby.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Well, plenty of sand in the desert......lol
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I like Cordvs idea of sewing the sponge inside of a linen or felt covering. If the sponge was torn into very fine pieces and then stuffed into small sections, then it might serve a valuable purpose. If it got damp from prolonged use then you could just leave it out over night. Or you can just stuff a cat in the helm and use it instead.
Geoffrey R Reil
"This is no time for tears"...."Be quick, go snatch your brother back from death." Virgil, The Aeneid
So, sea wool, elephant ear, or mediterranean zimoca silk?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:So, sea wool, elephant ear, or mediterranean zimoca silk?

I think the discussion is now "Should it be a Tabby, a Siamese, or a Calico?" :wink: I prefer the Persian since they have longer fur!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I´d go with the mediterranean.
Look on www.lederkram.de under "Pfelegemittel", then "Körperpflege". These are cheap! Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I've split the cat etc. discussion to a topic in Off Topic called CATs on RAT.
:roll:
Carrying on with helmet sponges...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Spoilsport! Sad
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
So, sea wool, elephant ear, or mediterranean zimoca silk?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I went on line to look at the different types of sponges that you listed Tarbicus. It looks as if the Sea Wool and Mediterranean Zimoca Silk are somewhat round. These might be good to fashion into smaller flatter shavings and then placed into a washable cover. However most of the Elephant Ears that I’ve seen are basically flat, hence the name I guess. These might be able to be glued directly into the helm or also woven into a cover. I just wonder if the common legionary had the opportunity to gain access to these types of sponges? Or was this type of padding only available to legionaries garrisoned near a coast or port.
Geoffrey R Reil
"This is no time for tears"...."Be quick, go snatch your brother back from death." Virgil, The Aeneid
I think the only way to really find out is to investigate the Roman sponge trade :? I can't really imagine there being much research on that subject. But the fineness and thinness of the elephant ear is one of the reasons I thought that may have been the culprit, or something like it.

Anyone know any marine biologists?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman helmet linings? Len Campey 1 898 08-21-2018, 01:19 AM
Last Post: torongill
  Helmet linings: To cheat or not to cheat jkaler48 1 1,180 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Last Post: agrimensor