RomanArmyTalk
CENTURION - A novel of Ancient Rome... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: CENTURION - A novel of Ancient Rome... (/showthread.php?tid=1964)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Centurion: A Novel of Ancient Rome - Thiudareiks Flavius - 07-25-2002

I hope you don't feel my comments were 'negative' Peter. I thought the extract read extremely well and I'd be interested to read the whole novel. I would be interested in your answer to my comments though.<br>
Cheers, <p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius
<BR>
<P>
Visit 'Clades Variana' - Home of the Varus Film Project</p><i></i>

Re: Centurion: A Novel of Ancient Rome - Anonymous - 07-25-2002

Hey all,<br>
<br>
I finished the book last night. The book basically had the same tempo as the first half (which was fast paced), up to and including the actual disaster itself. The characters Peter introduced in Glaxus's civilian life were well written, and there are more than a few parts in the book which will leave you chuckling. The ending was good, although it could have been extended a little (again, I wish the book was longer!), but overall, I give this a happy 2 thumbs up.<br>
<br>
Tim, with regard to your comments, at least the leather dress one: Is it possible, that at some point, the wives of germanic chiefs wore leather dresses to show their rank above the commoners? Just curious. (leather would be more costly than linen/wool?)<br>
<br>
Also, you are correct about the gaulish/germanic term. However, I think that any inaccurracies in this book will be of the same level as the ones you pointed out, which are minor (there is nothing glaringly wrong like in "Gladiator"). What impressed me was the obvious research Peter put into the army's tactics, training, and way of life. As soldiers, this is what will have the most appeal to us modern legionarys.<br>
<br>
Bravo Peter!<br>
<br>
<p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>

Centurion: A Novel of Ancient Rome - Anonymous - 07-25-2002

To StrategyM- I found the Xlibris service to be very satisfactory overall. At the time I contracted with them, they didn't offer a proofreading service, though I think they may offer one now. They offer four levels of service ranging up to 1600 dollars (unless they've raised their prices). They provide marketing tools, such as posters, at additional cost. You have to do your own promotional activites. Obviously, I would have preferred to have it published by a major publishing house in New York, but I couldn't get that to happen. But at least it's out there to some extent. And after working in a vacuum for so long, it's nice to get some feedback. Thank you. -Peter<br>
<br>
To Tim O'Neil- I did not take your comments in a negative way. I'm sure that I was not 100% accurate in all the historical details, though I tried to come close. I knew that most of my readers (if any) would not have the detailed knowledge of Rome that you and your comrades possess. I tried to inform at the same time that I was entertaining. If I got too hung up on details, it might become too dry and unreadable. If I strayed too far from historical fact, it would be a joke. It was a balancing act. If you read the whole thing, I'll look forward to hearing what you think. Thanks a lot. <br>
-Peter<br>
<br>
To Magnus/Matt- Thank you for reading it for me. I'm very glad (relieved?) that it passed inspection. Your insight into Rome and into the writing process is much appreciated. Thanks a million. -Peter<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: Centurion: A Novel of Ancient Rome - Thiudareiks Flavius - 07-25-2002

Tiberius wrote:<br>
<br>
<i><br>
Tim, with regard to your comments, at least the leather dress one: Is it possible, that at some point, the wives of germanic chiefs wore leather dresses to show their rank above the commoners? Just curious. (leather would be more costly than linen/wool?)<br>
</i><br>
<br>
It's likely that leather would actually be less costly than linen or wool, since it takes quite a bit of time and effort to prepare wool and flax, hand spin enough yarn to weave with on a distaff, weave it on a warp-weighted loom and then hand sew a dress. Cleaning and tanning leather is still labour intensive, but its easier to produce than linen. There's no evidence of any use of leather garments by the early Germanics that I know of, though if they were used it's more likely they'd be outer garments worn for weather protection and warmth rather than a dress. Machine processed and tanned 'dress leather' used for fashion items like leather jackets, leather dresses (and, apparently, bondage gear ) are a very modern phenomenon. Most early Germanic leather might make a good defensive jerkin, but it wouldn't make a great lady's dress.<br>
<br>
A high born Germanic woman, the daughter of one chief and the wife of another, would wear linen and wool.<br>
<br>
There are a lot of things which are 'possible', but if something isn't attested and isn't very likely - like leather dresses on a Germanic lady - then I'd say they'd be best avoided.<br>
<br>
<i><br>
Also, you are correct about the gaulish/germanic term. However, I think that any inaccurracies in this book will be of the same level as the ones you pointed out, which are minor (there is nothing glaringly wrong like in "Gladiator&quot .<br>
</i><br>
<br>
With respect to both you and Peter, I'd have to say that calling the Germanics 'Gauls' actually <b> is</b> pretty glaring. As I said, it's like calling the Romans 'Greeks' - they were two very different peoples with very different cultures, gods and languages.<br>
<br>
<i><br>
What impressed me was the obvious research Peter put into the army's tactics, training, and way of life. As soldiers, this is what will have the most appeal to us modern legionarys.<br>
</i><br>
<br>
I was impressed with the research into the <i> Roman</i> side of things in the extract and it bodes well for the quality of the rest of the novel. My original point was that some very good 'Roman' authors - like Lindsay Davis - often research the stuff they are interested in with a lot of detail and put less effort in on other aspects. The Germanics were largely window dressing in <i> The Iron Hand of Mars</i> and it seemed to me that she didn't put a lot of effort into finding out much about them. Maybe Peter has done a lot more work on that side of things than she did - I hope so, since it sounds like Arminius' and Co are a major part of the novel.<br>
<br>
When I clear some debt off my credit card I'll go to Amazon and get a copy.<br>
Cheers, <p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius
<BR>
<P>

Re: Centurion: A Novel of Ancient Rome - Anonymous - 07-25-2002

Well, Arminius only appears in and out about a handfull of times, if that. But don't let me tell you that, get the book. It's a good read. I think you and the rest of us guys and gals will enjoy it. <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>

Re: Centurion: A Novel of Ancient Rome - Anonymous - 07-26-2002

I'm probably placing my neck firmly on the chopping block by saying this (yup, I'm talking to you Tim ) but the notion of Germanic Gauls seems quite plausible to me. After all, the only division between Gaul and Germany is the Rhine-- cultural exchange would be inevitable. Also, I think it is evident that there were REAL Germans residing on Gallic land in large numbers. Caesar himself mentions this, stating that after hiring themseves out as mercenaries to the Arverni and Sequani, the Germans developed a liking for the more settled Gallic lifestyle:<br>
<br>
"A contingent of about fifteen thousand had crossed the Rhine; but when the uncivilized barbarians had acquired a taste for residence in Gaul, with its good land and high standard of life, more were brought over, and there were at present about a hundred and twenty thousand of them in the country." (I.31)<br>
<br>
And after all, we have to remember the purpose of Caesar's campaign against Ariovistus-- to prevent the Germans from swallowing up all of Gaul!<br>
<br>
"For the German king Ariovistus had settled in their [the Sequani] territory and seized a third of their land - the best in all Gaul. And now he was bidding them to evacuate another third, because a few months previously he had been joined by twenty-four thousand men of the Harudes, and must find them a home to settle in. In a few years time the whole population of Gaul would be expatriated and all the Germans would migrate across the Rhine."<br>
<br>
I do think that Caesar is exagerating a bit, the concept remains intact-- Germans did live in Gaul.<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: Centurion: A Novel of Ancient Rome - Thiudareiks Flavius - 07-26-2002

JC wrote:<br>
<br>
<i><br>
I do think that Caesar is exagerating a bit, the concept remains intact-- Germans did live in Gaul.<br>
</i><br>
<br>
I'm quite aware of that, but the Chersuci weren't amongst them. Their territory was quite definitely on the east side of the Rhine, extending south-westward from the Weser and the recorded Germanic names of their chieftains and everything else we know about them indicate that they were well and truly Germanic rather than Celtic. A few 'German' tribes seem to have actually been Celtic-speaking or heavily influenced culturally and linguistically by their Gallic neighbours, but this is not the case with the Cherusci.<br>
<br>
There was definitely 'cultural exchange' over the Rhine: trade, the influence of Late La Tene artistic styles, Germanic warriors fighting for Gallic (and Roman) warlords and, of course, periodic Germanic raids and invasions. And there were certainly Germanic peoples who crossed the Rhine and settled in Gaul: the name of the Treveri probably means 'the river crossers' partially for this reason.<br>
<br>
But the fact that there were 'Celtic' tribes in Germania, and Germanic tribes in Gaul doesn't take away the fact that the Cherusci - Arminius' people - were definitely a Germanic tribe in Germania.<br>
<br>
So it's true that 'some Germans did live in Gaul', but that doesn't mean it makes sense to call all Germanics 'Germanic Gauls'! Does the fact that some Romans came to live in Gaul make it logical to call a Roman-born Senator of Rome a 'Gallic Roman' or a 'Romano-Gaul'?<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius
<BR>
<P>

Using Sculpture to Confirm Weapons Use - Anonymous - 08-15-2002

I doubt that using sculptures, paintings or other reconstructions is an accurate method for confirming or denying how Roman swords were used. They are art forms and in the same category as our modern films. It would be as if some future historian cited the scenes in the movie Gladiator to confirm the use of fire pots thrown by catapults against Germanic warriors. The artists who carved the sculptures were probably not soldiers, probably didn't observe the scenes they depicted and probably didn't have a high priority on historical accuracy. <p></p><i></i>

Nothing special - Anonymous - 09-01-2002

Hello,<br>
<br>
I read the excerpt on the Xlibris page. It seems to be some sort of vanity press thing, is it?<br>
<br>
Sorry, but I didn't think it was exactly a rivetting read (at least not in that excerpt).<br>
<br>
Glaxus, Plutarius and Quintar sound like rather implausible Roman names. In the book, are they supposed to be Germans too?<br>
<br>
Susan (who's probably not going to rush out and buy "Centurion") <p></p><i></i>

slashing swords - Anonymous - 09-01-2002

<br>
There is archaeological evidence for people hacked to death by Romans presumably using short infantry swords. One of the victims from Maiden Castle in Dorset (assaulted by Leg II Aug in 43 or 44 CE) for example has 14 deep sword cuts on his skull. Polybius also mentions the Macedonians' chagrin at seeing corpses dismembered by Roman swords. Such dismemberment presumably accomplished by hacking rather than by "thrusting". I fail to see how there can be any real argument over how the swords were used. It's surely very simple. In a sword fight where you are crapping yourself while stumbling around in mud, blood and piss you take any chance you can get. If you can skewer the bastard with a stab then stab him, if you can gut him with a slash then slash. If he's on his knees begging for mercy then hack him to pieces. If the line is pushing on over "fallen foes" then hack at them too to make them stay down. Nothing simpler, and Romans were nothing if not "simple"; brutal too.<br>
<br>
Sue <p></p><i></i>

Re: Lindsay Davis, Germans & Celts - Anonymous - 02-04-2003

I'm not sure about the quality of her research on trans-Rhenus tribes nor am I sure why she refers to the Bructeri and other Germanic tribes as Celts. I do remember reading that many ancient authors used the terms interchangeably about the tribes across the Upper Danube and Rhine. Perhaps her making her characters describe these peoples as celts is a reflection of that. <p></p><i></i>

Re: Lindsay Davis, Germans & Celts - Guest - 02-05-2003

Salve,<br>
<br>
In Greek sources <em>Keltos</em> is often used to designate a Germanic and <em>Galatès</em> for Celt, which may account for some confusion.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>

Question for Peter/ELNgreekstreak - Anonymous - 02-07-2003

Peter,<br>
In your book your characters refer to the "Gallic Germans" and similar terms. Did you choose this because your researchs showed that many ancient historians used the terms Gaul and German interchangeably or is it for another reason?<br>
<br>
I enjoy this genre and your book very much. I hope you are writing a sequel.<br>
<br>
best regards,<br>
<br>
Jeff <p></p><i></i>

Centurion: A Novel of Ancient Rome - Anonymous - 02-16-2003

Hi Jeff- Thank you for reading my book. I'm glad you enjoyed it. About the term "Gallic German" or "Germanic Gaul": I have a 1973 Random House College Dictionary that gives this definition of Gaul - "A province of the ancient Roman Empire, including the territory corresponding to modern France, Belgium, the southern Netherlands, Switzerland, Northern Italy, and the part of Germany west of the Rhine." Based on that, the term "Germanic Gaul" seemed suitable.<br>
<br>
As for a sequel, family responsibilities won't allow that for now. But I'm happy that you enjoyed it enough to want a sequel.<br>
<br>
Sincerely, Peter <p></p><i></i>

Re: Centurion: A Novel of Ancient Rome - Anonymous - 02-16-2003

Suzy,<br>
<br>
Just a quick rebuff to your post about this not being a gripping read. I found Peter's strongest point was pulling the reader into the dire situation of the disaster, as it unfolded, through his description of the battle itself, and how the Romans fought in it. (or may have fought). The character of Glaxus was also very dynamic, and was portrayed with a very deep feeling of "Yep, this is exactly what a centurion would have been like"... I would swear Peter (the author) was an NCO in the forces at one point.<br>
<br>
As for the names...we have a tiny list of names that we have managed to acquire from the archaeological record. Sure, it would have been "safer" to pic from one of these, but it's really only a story, not an factual book. Look how many deviations and new names we have in todays society, especially ones spawned by sub-cultures. We'll never know what names were used, by the multi-millions of Roman citizens, through the span of the empire.<br>
<br>
I would not let such trivial instances ruin an otherwise enjoyable read.<br>
<br>
And yes Peter, start on a sequel...lol. <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>