RomanArmyTalk
Dacian Falx - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Allies & Enemies of Rome (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Dacian Falx (/showthread.php?tid=17473)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Dacian Falx - nina - 10-10-2010

Quote:
M. Demetrius:2dz24sh8 Wrote:I buy them all the time on RTW, so I know that they must be real. Along with flaming pigs and wardogs, they're pretty good at breaking the line. Or the wind, I guess.... :roll:

I always carry a unit of flaming pigs when on the march. You have to feed the troops somehow! :lol:

What was the terrain/farming conditions like in Dacia? What was the main crop? If the Falx was derived(as is currently believed) from a farming scythe are there any finds of the proto-falx(?) on farmland or anything?
several curved blades had been found near Sarmizegetusa Regia. the discoverers are not absolutely sure if the blades were weapons or tools.
lucky Dacians! they only have to carry cheese and storkes (it said to be only the few words inherited in Romanian from Dacian language, so we use them a lot in histoy jokes) feed the troops :mrgreen:

Re: Dacian Falx - Astiryu1 - 10-11-2010

Quote:several curved blades had been found near Sarmizegetusa Regia. the discoverers are not absolutely sure if the blades were weapons or tools.
lucky Dacians! they only have to carry cheese and storkes (it said to be only the few words inherited in Romanian from Dacian language, so we use them a lot in histoy jokes) feed the troops :mrgreen:

Any links or pictures that you could point out?

Re: Dacian Falx - nina - 10-11-2010

Quote:
nina:yxksb2hj Wrote:several curved blades had been found near Sarmizegetusa Regia. the discoverers are not absolutely sure if the blades were weapons or tools.
lucky Dacians! they only have to carry cheese and storkes (it said to be only the few words inherited in Romanian from Dacian language, so we use them a lot in histoy jokes) to feed the troops :mrgreen:

Any links or pictures that you could point out?
sure. just give me a little time to get some decent images (published material, of course Smile )

Re: Dacian Falx - Astiryu1 - 10-11-2010

Great!!! Thank You! Big Grin

Re: Dacian Falx - sitalkes - 11-04-2010

Quote: Now, the older rhomphia *did* have 2 edges for about a third of the length of the blade. The rest had a T-shaped section, so the back actually had a rib or ridge, giving strength. But that's a different weapon, more subtle and versatile than the falx.

Valete,

Matthew

Actually the rhomphaia only had a single edge for the whole length of the blade

Re: Dacian Falx - sitalkes - 11-09-2010

Hi, I've just been sent these pictures by the Hancock Museum in Newcastle, UK - thought you guys would like to see them. They are from a Dacian unit on Hadrians Wall. I also have pictures of the falx blade found at Sarmizgetusa - I think it's on my Photobucket or Flickr page.

Cheers,
Chris
[attachment=1:h9y4cpmk]<!-- ia1 Falx inscription.jpg<!-- ia1 [/attachment:h9y4cpmk]
[attachment=0:h9y4cpmk]<!-- ia0 Falx detail.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:h9y4cpmk]

Re: Dacian Falx - last_roman - 11-10-2010

Salvete Omnes!
Dacian's falx is really effective weapon against well equipped infantry like roman legionary. See the metopes from Traian's triumphal monument in Adamclisi /Romania/:
[Image: 450px-AdamclisiMetope36.jpg]
[Image: 450px-AdamclisiMetope11.jpg]
[Image: 450px-AdamclisiMetope34.jpg]
And how romans avoided the deadly blade:
[Image: 450px-AdamclisiMetope32.jpg]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropaeum_Traiani#Metopes
Vale bene.

Re: Dacian Falx - M. Demetrius - 11-11-2010

Hmm. The first picture from the bottom doesn't look good for the Dacian, the second shows what could be an effective shield parry, the third? hard to know what's going on there, and the fourth could go either way. No doubt about one thing, though, a hard slice on a neck, forearm or leg, and the receiving soldier is out of the fight at best. :|

Re: Dacian Falx - Paullus Scipio - 11-11-2010

Diegis wrote:
Quote:Falx was a Dacian weapon, as Romans back then said so, and at Adamclissi are depicted of course Dacians with falxes.

Have you forgotten ? “Falx’ means any curved bladed weapon or tool. ANY !! As you can see from Trajan’s column and the Inscriptions of Dacian units in Britain, ALL ‘falxes’/curved blades depicted as used by Dacians are ‘single handed swords/daggers = sicas.

There is no evidence whatsoever that Dacians used the two-handed hedging hook/slashing hook/reed cutter tool as a makeshift weapon – they could afford ‘proper’ swords !

Quote:nobody then (and even now, excepting you) said that falx is somehow a Bastarnae weapon.

Quite wrong.

Adolf Furtwangler ( the famous German historian ) considered as long ago as 1897(!!!) that the Adamklissi monument depicted defeat of the Bastarnae people

Sir Ian Richmond ( one of the world’s leading archaeologists) pointed out as long ago as 1960 in a lecture delivered to various prominent bodies, that there were three different ethnic groups portrayed on the crenellations as prisoners – Dacians, Sarmatians and Germanic ( who can only realistically be Bastarnae). He also described the metopes, and that all the fighting scenes showed Romans fighting the ‘Germanic barbarians’/Bastarnae.

Lepper and Frere ( 1988), the current foremost work on Trajan’s column and the Dacian Wars considered all possibilities (including the Romanian archaeologist Florescu, who thought they were Dacians) and concluded that Furtwangler and Richmond were right and that they were Bastarnae.

Since you probably have access to mainly Romanian works, who may have followed Florescu’s ( demonstrably incorrect) line, it is understandable that you believe this. Nevertheless the rest of the German-speaking and English- speaking scholars who have studied the subject have concluded for over 100 years that the Germanic barbarians shown on the Adamklissi monument are almost certainly Bastarnae, and are certainly NOT Dacian.

Quote:Salvete Omnes!
Dacian's falx is really effective weapon against well equipped infantry like roman legionary. See the metopes from Traian's triumphal monument in Adamclisi /Romania/:

Those pictures you have posted, and all the other metopes show the chopper-wielders being slaughtered and they and their families are massacred!

If we go on the evidence of the Adamklissi monuments (more than one) and the small amount of evidence we have of Trajan’s Wars, the Peucini branch of the Bastarnae were heavily defeated and probably suffered Genocide, though they recovered to be a small part of tribal coalitions later against the Romans, in Marcus Aurelius’ reign and later as part of the Gothic coalition.

I am baffled by this assumption that the two-handed-extemporised-tool-used-as-a- weapon, with a curved blade and therefore called in modern times, a type of “falx”/curve blade was “effective”. (There is no evidence that the two-handed thing was given this or any other name by the Romans)

The so-called “Falx” ( a term ONLY used in modern times to refer to the tool used as a weapon on the Adamklissi metopes), going on such evidence as we have, was such an abject failure that, so far as we know, it never appeared on the battlefield again, having been tried just once !!

Quote:Hmm. The first picture from the bottom doesn't look good for the Dacian, the second shows what could be an effective shield parry, the third? hard to know what's going on there, and the fourth could go either way. No doubt about one thing, though, a hard slice on a neck, forearm or leg, and the receiving soldier is out of the fight at best. :|

The first from the bottom shows the folly of fighting shieldless - gutted, literally!

The second shows an auxiliary successfully defending himself against no less than THREE attackers....he's already killed one !

The third shows another Bastarnae given the 'coup de grace' to the belly with pila or perhaps lancea - you can see the victim's dropped 'falx' behind the legionaries legs ( clearer in the hundred year old photo I have, less eroded).

The top one shows a legionary fighting two opponents - one is already down ( but not 'falx' armed) and the other is about to receive the same fate as the bottom photo! ( Unlike the photos of the Body-builder hacking into the 'helpess' shield, this shield 'bites back' !!! :lol: :lol: )

In no less than sixteen of the 50 odd metopes, combat is shown between Roman cavalry, legionaries and Auxiliaries and Germanics/Bastarnae. In every single case the Romans are depicted killing, have killed, or clearly about to kill their opponents - who are not always 'falx' armed.

Not too surprising in a Roman propaganda piece !!

Still, the narrative ( like the Column) is fairly clear. The metopes show the progress of the 'wagon people/Peucini-Bastarnae', first on the move, then being defeated in action by the Romans in battle, then fighting amongst the wagons and finally one metope showing the grisly aftermath, men women and children lie, all dead, amidst wagons and littered weapons. This is followed by a couple of 'Parade/Triumph' scenes of Romans in undress with prisoners in chains.

An overwhelming defeat/massacre of the 'falx-wielders, and this "weapon" never appears again in battle.

Not my idea of "effective". I'll bet on the Roman every time, and I'd bet reconstructed combat would show just how one-sided fighting between a shieldless, unarmoured 'falx wielder', and a shielded, armoured Roman would be !!!

Re: Dacian Falx - M. Demetrius - 11-11-2010

Quote:In no less than sixteen of the 50 odd metopes, combat is shown between Roman cavalry, legionaries and Auxiliaries and Germanics/Bastarnae. In every single case the Romans are depicted killing, have killed, or clearly about to kill their opponents - who are not always 'falx' armed.
Of course, they *are* Roman triumphal monuments, so that could be a little over-portrayed, yes?

Oh, indeed !..... :lol:

As I pointed out....
Quote:Not too surprising in a Roman propaganda piece !!

...but as I also said, the narrative, the location of the monuments and all the other evidence clearly point to a massacre of incoming/migrating Peucini-Bastarnae, as had occurred before IIRC.

Re: Dacian Falx - diegis - 11-11-2010

Quote:

Have you forgotten ? “Falx’ means any curved bladed weapon or tool. ANY !! As you can see from Trajan’s column and the Inscriptions of Dacian units in Britain, ALL ‘falxes’/curved blades depicted as used by Dacians are ‘single handed swords/daggers = sicas.

There is no evidence whatsoever that Dacians used the two-handed hedging hook/slashing hook/reed cutter tool as a makeshift weapon – they could afford ‘proper’ swords !

Oh boy, here we go again :lol: I already posted images with Dacians using the two handed swords from Adamclisi metopes, and a Falx blade found near Sarmisegetuza have engraved a solar symbol on the blade, also find on many Sica blades, considered a mystical protection symbol (i already posted the image several times, as well the article with Falxes)

Quote:Quite wrong.

Adolf Furtwangler ( the famous German historian ) considered as long ago as 1897(!!!) that the Adamklissi monument depicted defeat of the Bastarnae people

Sir Ian Richmond ( one of the world’s leading archaeologists) pointed out as long ago as 1960 in a lecture delivered to various prominent bodies, that there were three different ethnic groups portrayed on the crenellations as prisoners – Dacians, Sarmatians and Germanic ( who can only realistically be Bastarnae). He also described the metopes, and that all the fighting scenes showed Romans fighting the ‘Germanic barbarians’/Bastarnae.

Lepper and Frere ( 1988), the current foremost work on Trajan’s column and the Dacian Wars considered all possibilities (including the Romanian archaeologist Florescu, who thought they were Dacians) and concluded that Furtwangler and Richmond were right and that they were Bastarnae.

Since you probably have access to mainly Romanian works, who may have followed Florescu’s ( demonstrably incorrect) line, it is understandable that you believe this. Nevertheless the rest of the German-speaking and English- speaking scholars who have studied the subject have concluded for over 100 years that the Germanic barbarians shown on the Adamklissi monument are almost certainly Bastarnae, and are certainly NOT Dacian.

Well, if i remember correct Mommsen considered first time he saw the Traian Column that is about Romans vs Germans, but we know nowthat is Romans vs Dacians. Back then (XIX century, early XX century) it was little know about Dacians, and was an era of romantic nationalism when peoples believe their ancestors and nation is above any others.
Lepper and Frere (which i must admit i dont know what they write about the Adamclisi) i dont think have knowledge at that time (1988) about archeological discoveries of Falxes, and i posted an article from 2000's, of a romanian scholar who dealt with them, i dont think is needed to repeat it again.
It is your choice to believe an XIX century german scholar or couple english-speaking ones, as its my choice to believe some XX and XXI scholars who said the contrary.
And please stop mentioning that only Bastarnae are depicted on Adamclisi, is clearly not true (as we both posted images and the diferences betwen various peoples there are prety clear, so its not just one type or ethnicity). Its like following Goebbels advice, as if you repeat a thing long enough, at some point many peoples will believe is true.
National History Museum here consider anyway that germanic Buri (same name with Dacian Buri) are the ones who fight at Adamclisi, not the Bastarnae, and the "wagon scene" depicted on Traian Column apear at battle from Nicopolis ad Istrum, not Adamclisi, and in those images there is not any Bastarnae around, but mostly Dacians. I dont have much time now, but i have somewhere the images to post them.

Quote:Those pictures you have posted, and all the other metopes show the chopper-wielders being slaughtered and they and their families are massacred!

If we go on the evidence of the Adamklissi monuments (more than one) and the small amount of evidence we have of Trajan’s Wars, the Peucini branch of the Bastarnae were heavily defeated and probably suffered Genocide, though they recovered to be a small part of tribal coalitions later against the Romans, in Marcus Aurelius’ reign and later as part of the Gothic coalition.

I am baffled by this assumption that the two-handed-extemporised-tool-used-as-a- weapon, with a curved blade and therefore called in modern times, a type of “falx”/curve blade was “effective”. (There is no evidence that the two-handed thing was given this or any other name by the Romans)

The so-called “Falx” ( a term ONLY used in modern times to refer to the tool used as a weapon on the Adamklissi metopes), going on such evidence as we have, was such an abject failure that, so far as we know, it never appeared on the battlefield again, having been tried just once !!

Romans gived the name Falx to all Dacian curved blades (possibly not to Sica, which was already well known). You have no direct prouve to consider the two handed weapons from Adamclisi as simple tools, but there is at least one direct evidence who point that Falx as we know them (2 handed swords) was indeeed battle swords.
As well Romans considered the Dacian curved swords quite very efective (if we see Fronto, and the fact that romans reinforced their helmets during this period, and very probably introduced on large scale the arms and legs protection).

Quote:Oh, indeed !..... :lol:

As I pointed out....
Quote:Not too surprising in a Roman propaganda piece !!

...but as I also said, the narrative, the location of the monuments and all the other evidence clearly point to a massacre of incoming/migrating Peucini-Bastarnae, as had occurred before IIRC.

Bastarnae migrating in Roman Empire, in the middle of a big scale war betwen Dacians and Romans, who occured right in the area, and with Roman army in big number in that area? This is really weird, to not say suicidal, especialy if Bastarnae was Dacian allies. I understand if they was Roman allies, and run from the Dacians attacks and seek cover in Roman empire, but otherwise is just illogical

:roll: :lol: so now just Bastarnae fight there? Man, your obsession with this peoples is huge. There is no such thing as only Bastarnae fighting there. We already discuss that, and clearly Dacians are depicted too. There is no Falx like blade ever related with Bastarnae, not archeologicaly or by the Romans themselves, but this is obviously the case when we talk about Dacians.

About the shieldless and unarmoured falx wielders, we had this discussion too. We know that romans depicted the enemies (on the Column for ex.) without wearing their armour (with only exception of Sarmatian cavalry, when their armour style was diferent enough to not be confused) to not confuse the viewers (mostly untrained civilians) and to show the roman superiority too, probably. But we know that Dacians used armours on quite important scale (and diferent armours are shown on Column among the trophies), and is logical to assume that Dacians armed with Falxes wear an armour too.

It is just a myth and an oversimplistic and silly thing to believe that they was some half naked barbarians runing around with some agricultural tools in their hands. Maybe this was the case in some instances (mostly with Germanic, i think Celts wear some armour too, not sure how spread it was) but not in this case, with Dacians.