RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Octavianvs - 02-21-2008

Quote:Welcome Thomas! I'm always amazed at the English language skills of people here. I can ask for beer in a few languages and that is it Big Grin

Well i would say that covers things nicely then! Big Grin D

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 02-21-2008

Welcome to RAT Thomas. Smile

Re: New recruits - Julia Langobardia - 02-21-2008

Moinmoin!

My name is Chris Wenzel, I´m a bookbinder and live in a small town on the outskirts of Hamburg (in Germany :wink: ).

Being interested in history since I was a kid (reading Rosemary Sutcliff novels under my bedcover by torchlight...) it was only naturall for me to join Living History as soon as I realised its existence. Well, my start was pityable in 1999, so I won`t tell more 8)

Since then I`ve been fascinated by a lot of periods from the stone age to the 15th century, my interest being ecspecially the development of clothing and shoes and weaving techniques.
That's me in my mid-13th century clothes: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Wasch ... Wenzel.jpg

I make shoes, do some leatherwork, some weaving (tablets and loom), sewing - just whats necessary to get my gear together.

Over the years I was able to produce some reconstructions of archeological finds and whole sets of clothing for friends and some museums in Germany and Austria :oops:

And yes, I also "do" roman period living history:

[Image: img_4457.jpg]

Looking forward to a lot of fascinating discussions, Chris.

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 02-21-2008

Big Grin We're happy to have you here, Chris! Lovely photo too!

Re: New recruits - Medusa Gladiatrix - 02-21-2008

Hi Chris,

so trifft man sich wieder! Big Grin

Welcome to RAT!

Re: New recruits - maius - 02-21-2008

Hi Chris, welcome to RAT! Smile

Maius/Bill

Re: New recruits - vergilius - 02-22-2008

Wilkommen Chris !

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 02-22-2008

Hi Chris,

Welcome - pictures from Xanten, I presume?

Re: New recruits - Lochinvar - 02-22-2008

Welcome all recent joiners,
but particularly Chris. I used to live fairly close to you in Munsterlager and Minden - happy days!
I think you'll be a real asset here.
PS. Admit it - that link wasn't 'wash day', you were crushing grapes.

Re: New recruits - Julia Langobardia - 02-22-2008

Thank you so much for your warm welcome Big Grin

as Vortigern Studies already noticed, the picture of me and my boyfriend was taken in Xanten. We attendet last years Roman Festival in Xanten again with our group "Projekt Germanii" and took the oportunity to take some pictures - it`s such a lovely place, ecspecially the Inn`s garden!

@Lochinvar: No grapes, unfortunately :wink:
Actually, I was trying to keep some 5 Meters of wool cloth under water to get in thoroughly wet so we could put it into the dyeing pot and dye it bright red with madder... If there are any dry spots left on the cloth, it`ll become spotty during the dyeing process :?

Re: New recruits - M.P. - 02-22-2008

Salue omnes,

M.P. from France.

Re: New recruits - Latinitas - 02-22-2008

Latinitas militibus suis salutat.

Please allow me to indroduce myself.

Im 17 years old now, and interested in the ancient roman jewelry and blacksmithing techniques, nevertheless I have to admit I use mostly a modern propane - oxigen torch and other modern stuff like that :oops: Since I saw some Roman riches I begun to wonder how they could make such beautifull things without the modern working tools. It`s hard to find something about that at the internet, but maybe this forum could help. Since then I try to gain an insight into this thechniques. Most of them are fairly difficullt or laborious, so then I use still the modern way to produce a replica. I especially like casting metals, molten metal is beautifull, or niello. Niello gives a great contrast with silver or even with orichalcum (15% Zn). To get the highest level of autenticity I also collect original Roman detector finds. Sometimes I can directly make a casting mold with them to pour the metal into it. At last I have to say English is not my best language, but I`ll try it.

Facite ut Valeatis!

Re: New recruits - Methos - 02-22-2008

- where are you from?
- how'd you become interested in Rome?
- why are you here?
- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?

Salve meus novus amicitia!! Big Grin

I'm Javier Lorenz Jr., also popularly known throughout the internet as 'Methos'. I was raised the first years of my life in Santiago De Compostela, Spain and have lived in New York City and Boston, in the United States of America. I'm currently residing in Maitland, Florida; which is a suburb of Orlando.

I've had an interest in ancient Roman history since the age of eight, give or take a year or so. I imagine that all that old school Catholic education, combined with a healthy regime of sword and sandal flicks on NY's locally broadcast TV channels (circa the late '70s...that's 1970s CE! :wink: ) sparked my interest in ancient Rome. It also helped that there was a branch of the NYC library located directly across the street from my grade school, which had a healthy selection of kid friendly literary resources on ancient Rome. Perhaps my oldest memory of a legionary depiction was a phenomenal painting of an Aquilifer or Signifer, marching along with his legion amidst hilly, snowy terrain. From then on, I was completely hooked on the study of ancient Rome and still am to this day.

I finally decided to join RAT because I've spent years referencing the forum here and figured it was high time I start participating. This forum has given me countless hours of enjoyment and enlightment, allowing me to revel in one of my favorite interests. I'm not sure that I'll be able enlighten my fellow RAT members, but I'll do my best to contribute to the enjoyment this place offers.

I'm not involved in re-enactment, but this site and others like it have certainly sparked an interest in pursuing such an endeavor when time and budget allow. Many years ago, I explored the possibilty of joining in on the re-enacting fun and spoke a few times to a local fellow who was interested in starting up a Roman re-enactment group, here in Central Florida. Sadly, I've long since lost touch with that fella and I know of no Roman re-enactment groups in my area. Perhaps most Floridian Romanophiles cringe at the prospect of shouldering kit and scutum, whilst marching in Lorica Segmentata, amidst our typically oppressive heat and humidity? Tongue

I look forward to taking part in the fun and enlightment of this place and I'm grateful for that such a place as this exists! Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 02-23-2008

Salve to Javier, Niels, and M.P. Welcome to RAT! Smile

M.P., please add a signature to your profile with your real name. It is a forum rule! Thanks.

Re: New recruits - Q. Vipsanivs Praetextatvs - 02-23-2008

Welcome Latinitas and M.P. and Javier! Big Grin