RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Triarius - 03-20-2008

Quote:Hi,
my name is Thomas and I am from Czech Republic.
I am interested in history of Roman empire ( that is why I am here :lol: )
But at first I have to tell you that my english isn't very well.( so sorry for some mistakes :? )
I should have learn it better :oops: .

That's alright, for most of us "native" speakers of what we call "English," our English isn't very well, either. If fact, it's often sickly. Confusedhock:

Yours is at least as understandable as most, and you'll get better at it.

When all else fails, switch to Latin. Someone here is bound to understand that… :lol:

And welcome to the Republic/Empire!

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 03-21-2008

Welcome to RAT, Thomas!

Quote:That's alright, for most of us "native" speakers of what we call "English," our English isn't very well, either. If fact, it's often sickly.

How true! :oops: :lol:

Re: New recruits - SMC - 03-22-2008

Hi

I've seen this board a couple of times in the past but have only just signed up and have spent the last few days trying to read everything that's posted here. I'm impressed and a lot of work has been done to set this up that deserves to be applauded. Its great to have such a forum to exchange information and ideas.

I am interested in late antique warfare, particularly siege warfare and fortifications. I used to teach Ancient History and Byzantine Studies at Queens but moved out of academia a few years ago. Strangely my new job required I get an IT qualification and that involved a database project. I had created a database years ago to help with my PhD research and thought I should try and bring that up to scratch for the project and it has kick started my enthusiasm for the topic again.
Besides military history, I particularly like early Byzantine church art and architecture. If its of any help to the magazine you have launched I have a large collection of slides I took on interrail trips for my research, mainly of late antique fortifications from York to the Tigris. The quality varies as I don't have good eyesight and couldn't afford an auto-focus SLR but I'm slowly starting to scan and correct the originals. Finally managed another trip last summer with a DSLR and HD video cam and hope to extend the collection in years to come (work and my other half permitting!). Is there anyway we can share pics and vids via the board?

Keep up the good work

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 03-22-2008

Welcome to the forum Stephen,

Always good to have another late antique enthusiast on board! :wink:

We can share images here, but vids? A photobucket account would be better, I think?

New Member - Darius_Maxus - 03-23-2008

Hi

I'm from British Columbia Canada and I've been interested in the Roman Empire for a very long time. I would like to join a group to re-enact the Roman lifestyle. I hope to find like-minded people to dress up and train as an army. I also want to see if anyone is interested to live the life of a roman army for the weekend, building camp and eating gruel.

Anyways, thanks,
DM

Re: New recruits - maius - 03-23-2008

Hi DM, welcome to the RAT forum!

There are four of us in Oregon/Washington who have just started a Roman group. We're portraying Legio XIIII, Britain about AD60.

If there are no groups in your area, (or even if there are Smile ) you are welcome to join with us here in the NW, I know it would be a long drive, I think about a 5 or 6 hours from BC.

We will be doing weekend camps and displays at Ft. Stevens State Park outside of Astoria, Or. during the Summer.

Again welcome to RAT.

Maius/Bill

Re: New recruits - Decimus Aurelius Varus - 03-24-2008

Decimus Aurelius Varus
Originally from San Diego, CA USA, currently in Carson City, NV USA and looking forward to moving back.

Not sure what initally drew me to Rome, but I am absolutely infatuated with ancient Rome.

I am here to join the community of my fellow Romans seeing how there are few if any others out here where I live.

Currently I am a student of public health/nutrition. I do not reenact because there is no legion where I am and I do not have all the necessary tools to start my own legion as of yet.

Long Live Rome

Re: New recruits - Ioannes_Ahenobarbus - 03-25-2008

Welcome Decimus! I hope you have great fun on the forum.

Re: New recruits - Eduardo Camacho - 03-25-2008

Hi Smile

My name is Eduardo Camacho.

I am an enthusiast in what is Ancient Warfare and other types like Medieval, Napoleonic, Modern, etc. I am specially interested in strategy and tactics.

Also I am a member of Europa Barbarorum and Rome Total Realism, a mods for Rome Total War. I work in doing the Historical Battles and as one of the historians.

Well, I hope to have a great time in this forums.

Thanks.

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 03-26-2008

Welcome, Paul and Eduardo! Smile

introduction - Senovara - 03-26-2008

Quote:Salve All...have just registered and wanted to say hello!

Titus Aelius Karus (Cohors 1 Batavorum)
aka John Smile

Welcome to RAT, Karus/John!

Re: New recruits - maius - 03-26-2008

Hi Paul and Eduardo, welcome to RAT!

Maius

Re: New recruits - Eduorius - 03-26-2008

Hi Smile

I am Eduardo Camacho.

First, I must explain the following. I made this account in september, but well I just looked around the forums and didnt post anything. Then something happened to the account that I couldnt enter the forums to chat, but Jasper just solved it.

I am interested in Ancient Warfare and Warfare from other Eras too.

I am also part of the Europa Barbarorum and Rome Total Realism teams. They are mods for Rome Total War that look for historical accuracy. I am an historian there and also in charge of making the Historical Battles.

I hope I can have a great time around here with you guys. If someone wants to play an historical battle maybe I can help.

Well sorry for both accounts, but I will use this one as its also my username in TotalWar.org and TWC.

Thanks again.

Re: New recruits - Historylover - 03-26-2008

Ive been searching for a forum like this for awhile Smile . Looks great!

My name is Jonathan I live here in about the most southern point of South Carolina and I am a student of military history, my main interests are Ancient and WWII Smile . Ive always had an interest in military history and I just love it, I love to discuss it and educate myself through reading! I have noticed the great magazine you guys produce I have a few questions about it I will post when I get the chance.

Other than that I guess thats me Smile ) . All the best, Jon

New Recruits - Paullus Scipio - 03-26-2008

.....a warm welcome to all our new comilitones! Smile D
Whether your interest is history, re-enactment,life in Rome or on the frontiers, or anything remotely connected to Rome ( and a whole lot of stuff that's not - see 'off-topic!!' Confusedhock: ).....you are sure to find something of interest here,

....oh, and don't be shy! Please contribute!.....a comment, a suggestion a question...anything at all!