RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - acidgambit - 11-11-2005

Hello all, my name is Sal Candela and I am a 24 year old living in Ft. Bragg, North Carolina USA. I majored in military history in college and it continues to be my favorite hobby. I stumbled across this forum one night and instantly became facinated by it. The discussion here is some of the most lively, informative and professional I've seen. Its nice to know that there are others who take such an interest in the ancients. My occupations is that of an airborne infantry officer with the 82nd Airborne Division and while it takes up 99% of my day, I look foward to spending a lot of time here. I am primarily interested with roman military technology, tactics and daily soldier life.

Regards,

Sal Candela

Re: New recruits - Marius_Ursus - 11-11-2005

Avete acidgambit!

Welcome to the board and enjoy.

Re: New recruits - andym - 11-17-2005

Salute!
My name is Andy Mullins from Kings Lynn in Great Britain.I hated History in school but ended up working for English Heritage as Head Custodian at Westminster Abbey.I have been interested in all things Roman for a while now and have been an avid Wargamer since the age of 14.I found this cool site while looking for a link to the Xanten site in Germany.Having a Medical Background (i was a medic in our Royal Navy and am a Registered Nurse)i have a great interest in the Medical Services in the Roman Army.I would dearly love to get into the re enactment scene but i am sure the Legion would refuse a fat,lethargic 45 year old as a new recruit. :lol:
I am an avid reader of most of the Roman based Novels by Simon Scarrow,Lindsey Davis,Conn Iggulden and more.I confess to seeing Gladiator more times than i care to mention! :o

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 11-18-2005

Hi Andy,
From a slightly Big Grin welcome to the board!

Re: New recruits - Marius_Ursus - 11-18-2005

Quote:Salute!
I would dearly love to get into the re enactment scene but i am sure the Legion would refuse a fat,lethargic 45 year old as a new recruit. :lol:

Don't be so sure. :wink:

Re: New recruits - andym - 11-18-2005

Cheers guys youve made a sad, fat bloke slightly happier! :o

Re: New recruits - Caballo - 11-18-2005

As another 40 plus, not-so-svelte re-enactor, welcome!

You might want to look at Leg XIIII or the Batavian auxillaries (Roman Military Research Society) at http://www.romanarmy.net/index.htm

The 2006 events are now up on the board.

Some of the RMRS members even live in your part of the UK!

Cheers

Paulus

Hello Everybody - tlclark - 11-19-2005

Hi everybody,

My name is Travis Clark, 34 from Philadelphia. I joined Legio XXIV, Marsallas' Unit, but I've never turned out because my kit isn't together yet. I am in the midst of writing my dissertation but I take breaks to work on my interests in Roman and Byzantine military history. I am trying to reconstruct both an imperial musculata, and a 6th C. klibanion.

Here's the website on the musculata.

http://astro.temple.edu/~tlclark/lorica/index.htm

I am looking for others interested in reconstructing an accurate musculata. I can do the research, but I don't have the skills. At the moment all available options have problems.

Thanks!

Travis

Re: New recruits - Tarbicus - 11-19-2005

Hi Travis, and welcome!

Great site you made on the musculata, by the way! I've read it quite a few times. Big Grin

Re: New recruits - tlclark - 11-19-2005

Tarbicus,

Thanks!

It's nice to have the support!

Someday there will be pictures of my own reconstruction efforts. Don't know when though.

Travis.

Re: New recruits - Uwe Bahr - 11-21-2005

Heartly welcome Travis,

I read Your website several times, too - the best collection of musculatae pictures with descriptions up to now. You gave totally new insights to me - and hey, You have updated it since my last visit that is not so long ago.

Greets - Uwe

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 11-21-2005

Welcome to the site all!
Travis, I see that I don't need to open a musculata scultpure gallery on RA.com. Might as well just post a link to your site!

Re: New recruits - tlclark - 11-23-2005

Thank you!! It's nice to be appreciated!Big Grin

Any of my photos BTW are free. Feel free to copy them, use them, photoshop your heads on them!! Whatever!

I also have larger sizes if someone wants them. Just tell me which image and I will send them on.

Travis

Re: New recruits - aitor iriarte - 11-23-2005

Welcome Travis! Big Grin
Your site is a great help for all of us who are involved in any way with muscled cuirasses.
I own one with a medusa head but it doesn't fit me well. Also plan to make a subarmalis with four layers of pterugae in two rows (when I have time... :roll: )
You have already posed some interesting questions on this forum and I am sorry if I haven't been able to answer you properly (lack of time, a new late Roman helmet, etc) but future is on our side! :wink:

Aitor

Re: New recruits - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 11-24-2005

Quote:a new late Roman helmet, etc

Do you have a new late roman helmet?