RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 04-21-2008

Hi Olivier,

Welcome to another Late Roman!

Just one thing - could you please add your real name to your signature (profile)? It's a forum rule.

I like this picture:
[Image: dyn002_original_512_497_pjpeg_2618183_c9...a68275.jpg]

Re: New recruits - Rodoric - 04-21-2008

I added my ''real'' name

yes this photo is funny : a latin story
It was during a experiment between what so called ''bowmen against foot milites''

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 04-21-2008

Quote:I added my ''real'' name
yes this photo is funny : a latin story
It was during a experiment between what so called ''bowmen against foot milites''
Merci Olivier!
I noticed the pictures, including your 'improvised visors'.. I think you had loads of fun there! Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Rodoric - 04-21-2008

thank's Robert

yes we had a lot of fun during this experiment

next year we will try to have a lot of late roman and much more bowmen.

Re: New recruits - Salvianus - 04-21-2008

salvianus venedotio bonam fortunam dicit

Quote:Oh, and I also do Kendo & compose and produce music for documentaries, soundtracks etc...Claire

salve mi soror

If I remember, I will bring both my bokken to Rockingham & we can show some cuts to the gaijin! I suspect shinai would be painful even through my thoracomachus!

Bring your flute and I will try to find space for a bodhran to accompany you, or else I will be happy to listen - we have some music to compose too!

bene tibi

Re: New recruits - Cheyenne - 04-22-2008

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately I won't beat Rockingham as I'm in Edinburgh on the Saturday... (thats if the trip isn't cancelled as these heritage rail tours have a tendency to be at the last minute!)

I will however, be at Lincoln and con bring musical instruments, Kendo gear Bokken etc - we can do Kata ... If I can fit it in the car, I could bring the armour as well if you wanted to try some cuts on me with the Shinai..

Sorted!

Re: New recruits - Tantalus - 04-27-2008

New to the forum.

I've always been infatuated with history in general and ancient history in particular. I'm especially interested in the history of, the ancient Greeks, Alexander the Great, and the Hellenistic Period - those Successors, what rascals. I've found the Greek Military History & Archaeology forum here to be exceptionally good. There's a lot of knowledgeable people who post there.

I also learn all I can about the history of the Mongol Empire and the Spanish conquest of the New World. But of course that's out of the scope here.

Although the ancient Romans also hold mt interest I only have so much time to read, and only so much money for books so I have to draw the line somewhere. I figure I will save the Romans for when I retire and have plenty of time. But I still read the Roman forums.

BTW, I also collect ancient coins. My avatar is of one of my coins. It's the reverse side of a lifetime Alexander the Great tetradrachm minted in Babylon.

Besides the subjects these forums cover, I also like the overall personality of these forums. Everyone seems friendly.

Re: New recruits - Libitina - 04-27-2008

Welcome to the boards Rodger Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Tantalus - 04-27-2008

Thanks Kat! It's always nice to get a welcome. Smile

Re: New recruits - Salvianus - 04-27-2008

Quote:I will however, be at Lincoln and con bring musical instruments, Kendo gear Bokken etc - we can do Kata ... If I can fit it in the car, I could bring the armour as well if you wanted to try some cuts on me with the Shinai..

Sorted!

Sounds great, if you have room. Otherwise some peaceful kata in the castle yard the gathering duskwhen we have the place to ourselves (and the owls!).

Have a good time in Edinburgh.

Ste

Re: New recruits - Winter - 04-28-2008

Welcome to the board Roger! Love the coin you have for your avatar.

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 04-28-2008

Welcome to RAT Claire and Rodger! Smile

Re: New recruits - Decius - 04-28-2008

a warm welcome to claire and roger Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Renius - 04-29-2008

Welcome to Claire, Roger and all the other previous new posters that I've failed to yet welcome.

Re: New recruits - Tantalus - 04-29-2008

Thanks for the welcomes Winter, Senovara, Decius, and Renius!

Quote:Welcome to the board Roger! Love the coin you have for your avatar.

Winter, here is the whole coin:

http://Tantalus.fileave.com/ATG_Babylon.jpg

Herakles with his lion's skin is on the obverse and on the reverse is Zeus on his throne with an eagle in his hand.

According to the article Tetradrachms from Babylon by Nancy M. Waggoner, this coin was minted sometime from 326 to 323 BC in Babylon. One thing that I really like about this coin is the ornate throne. Since the designs of the throne are so specific, I can only think that they copied this throne from one they saw in real life. Maybe the very one Alexander sat on in Babylon?