RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Dan Diffendale - 05-07-2008

Welcome Omar, welcome back Frank and Trey!

Re: New recruits - Catvs Glavcvs Draconis - 05-08-2008

Hello to everyone on RAT,

Have been visiting for a while and reading some of the threads and finally decided to join - mainly so I can ask the occasional question.

Have read the rules and hopefully I won’t make too many mistakes...

Kathleen

Re: New recruits - Senovara - 05-08-2008

Greetings Kathleen! Welcome to RAT. Big Grin

Please ask questions! That's why we're all here .. to learn, learn ... and learn some more! :wink:

Re: New recruits - Libitina - 05-08-2008

Welcome Kathleen! Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Catvs Glavcvs Draconis - 05-09-2008

Hello Sharon and Kat x, and thanks for the welcome.

Hey Kat - I like your byline - I was going to use "Kat on Rat" but when I saw it was already used I decided it might be best to stick with my 'full' name. I haven't done a 'signature' yet... am still thinking (re above) ...
Also just wanted to say I like the saying you have - "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - is it your creation?

Kathleen

Re: New recruits - Libitina - 05-09-2008

Quote:Hello Sharon and Kat x, and thanks for the welcome.

Hey Kat - I like your byline - I was going to use "Kat on Rat" but when I saw it was already used I decided it might be best to stick with my 'full' name. I haven't done a 'signature' yet... am still thinking (re above) ...
Also just wanted to say I like the saying you have - "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - is it your creation?

Kathleen

Hiya

The more Kats the merrier :lol: The quote is by Oscar Wilde. I've always liked it though and seeing as lots of people have quotes I thought I'd add one too! There's lots of great Wilde quotes..

Quote:Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Quote:Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.

Quote:There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

Quote:To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.

Quote:The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself.

Quote:Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man's original virtue. It is through disobedience and rebellion that progress has been made.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 05-09-2008

Hi Kathleen, and welcome to the forum.

Quote:Have read the rules and hopefully I won’t make too many mistakes...
Well, you missed the one about adding your real name to your signature (in your profile). That's a forum rule. :wink:

Re: New recruits - Catvs Glavcvs Draconis - 05-09-2008

Hi Kat x, Wilde - doesn't surprise me - he had a wicked sense of humour. Thanks for the other quotes - I particularly like the last one.

Hello Robert,

Well actually I didn’t miss that one – but seeing as I haven't actually made a 'signature' yet, and I have signed my posts with my “real nameâ€

Re: New recruits - stevepanniers - 05-09-2008

Hi, just subscribed today and thought I,d say hello.
Have been a history buff for many years, especialy ancient British and Roman . I hope to sharpen my knowledge and understanding of what has gone before by hearing what this group knows and asking questions here and there.

Re: New recruits - Salvianus - 05-10-2008

Quote:I hope to sharpen my knowledge and understanding of what has gone before by hearing what this group knows and asking questions here and there.

You've found the right place: welcome steve Smile

Re: New recruits - stevepanniers - 05-10-2008

Thank you Salvianus for your greeting. Will look to you for advice etc on the etiquette and protocols for this site.

Re: New recruits - Parmenion - 05-10-2008

Hi everybody, my name is Damien and I'm French, 17 years old.
I love Ancient Greece and I had some questions to ask to this quality looking community. I'm glad to be part of it and I hope i'll find everything I'm searching for.
Regards,

Permenion

Re: New recruits - Salvianus - 05-10-2008

Quote:Thank you Salvianus for your greeting. Will look to you for advice etc on the etiquette and protocols for this site.

Probably the best thing to do is look around some of the topics of interest. My top tips:
1: use the 'search' function to find old threads on a topic before asking a question: people love to help, but like you to have done some work on it yourself
2: click on the 'Profile' on the top menu, then 'Profile' again on the tabs, then 'signature' and include a short message and your name: I think you are OK because your ID seems to be your real name, but it may help you feel at home Smile

Salvete - Julilla - 05-10-2008

For the life of me I don't know why it has taken me so long to join, for I've been aware of the site for several years. :roll:

I'm a solo reenactor (mainly due to the paucity of others as fond of Roman history as I) living in the centre of Washington state. I've had a web site on Roman daily life and clothing for years (and currently no way to keep it up to date, sadly, for there's much more to be said).

I'm fond of archery, but don't fight otherwise, and tend to gravitate towards discussion of food (to say nothing of consuming it). I've struggled to learn Latin as an adult and have been known to recite at events.

I hope to learn more about period encampments, as I've been working on my own for the past few years.

cura ut valeas!

Re: New recruits - maius - 05-10-2008

Hi Julilla, welcome to the RAT forum!

There are several of us in Washington and Oregon that have started a roman reenacting group (Leg XIIII, mid 1st century AD).

We are a small group so far, but this Summer we'll be doing weekend encampments at Ft. Stevens State Park in Oregon where we hope to add to our ranks. If you would be interested in participating with us you would be more than welcome.

Maius/Bill