RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Tarbicus - 11-24-2005

Quote:Do you have a new late roman helmet?
I suspect a lot of RATters will be having new late Roman helmets soon :wink:
[Image: D4617487r.jpg]

Re: New recruits - aitor iriarte - 11-24-2005

Oh no, Cesar, is that auctioned at Christie's!
Notwithstanding, I'd really like to own it!:wink:

Aitor

New recruit - Salvianus - 12-01-2005

Avete.

My name's Stephen, but you can call me Ste or Salvianus as you prefer. I live & teach in York, or should that be Eboracvm?

I've had a wide interest in history for many years, but took the plunge to start re-enactment Summer 2005. I was initially just looking to join Regia Anglorum for the Jorvik festival here, but the local group leader put me onto Comitatus, the late Roman group re-enacting the Legio Praesidiensis based hearabouts in the 4th Century, as well as Germanic and Romano-British peoples up to 866 A.D. and they were so welcoming, well organised & downright interesting to talk to, I just found myself looking for two sets of kit.

I re-enact because I love to show off, to educate, to entertain and to play with pointy sticks & there seems to be ample opportunity for all of these, plus camping under canvas, sitting round campfires, arguing about evidence and generally escaping the dominion of the mobile phone and reality TV.

I also joined Regia to pursue the later Saxon period through to Norman times and the local group, Holderness, is great bunch of folk. I have interests in later medieval literature, science & military arts and the martial arts especially Aikido. I have been known to juggle, recite poetry, appear in musicals and play modern folk, but rarely all at once.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 12-02-2005

Hi Ste,

Welcome to RAT! And another Late Roman (we'll forget about the Late Saxon part for a bit :wink: , won't we?) to swell the ranks!
Good for you - Comitatus is a very serious group with a good reputation.

Re: New recruits - Salvianus - 12-02-2005

Thanks, Robert

Comitatus have been very welcoming to me, somehow seem to combine a passion for authenticity with a friendly, positive atmosphere that keeps it enjoyable.

The website is exceptional, by the way, and the Fectio section has been very useful to me already.

I recently read 'An Age of Tyrants' by Christopher Snyder and he makes a very interesting case about giving 'sub-Roman' society more status as a 'Brittonic period' in it's own right, emphasising continuity, at least of cultural concepts, from Roman regional government.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 12-02-2005

Thanks.. :oops:
Yes, I've read Snyder's book too (ages ago..). I agree with him, seeing that we just can't walk from the Roman period into the Anglo-Saxon period, even if scholars seem to hurry past as fast as they properly can!
The period is murly, devoid of good reliable sources and riddled with myth and legend - a minefield!
That's what I love about it, btw... Big Grin

If you consider the rest of Roman territory, Britain was not conquered from the Romans, or taken over by germanic general whilst still under Roman control. It 'enjoyed' (may we say that) almost a century, or maybe even more, of minding their own business. After all, britain was never completely ruled or taken over by Germanic kingdoms..

Re: New recruits - Salvianus - 12-03-2005

I like the way he argues from evidence - the early books I read on the time were more just collections of theories. Although the persistence of terms can obviously only suggest, rather than prove, the survival of institutions and culture, it adds another area of investigation to the continuing archaeological finds & re-interpretation of previous work.

I agree, the 'dark ages' are intriguing because they are inevitably elusive.

Cheers

Ste

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 12-03-2005

Quote:I like the way he argues from evidence - the early books I read on the time were more just collections of theories.
Indeed. Books by Alcock or Morris, for instance. My other 'Dark Age hero' is Ken Dark, whose books are also very good for this subject.

Back from the Stix - M. Mummius - 12-06-2005

Avete Omnes,

Vale Jasper, Gaius Longius, Aitor and Gill (we met in York).

I'm back on RAT after a long break. A very busy year following the RAT migration meant I didn't buckle down and sort out my new/old log in. But it's done know and I hope to be posing a bit more.

What's the deal with getting photo's into avatars or showing off bits of work. Is it still photobucket (any thing I couln't get to work). Also, any tricks to get piccies to the right pixel size and format for avatars.

Valete

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 12-07-2005

Hi Mummius (please use your real first name in your signature),
If you want an avatar that's not in the gallery and have no hosting service, you can email it to me and I'll fix you up.
For use on RAT, you can use the option we have here for storage space on RA.com. How? Just ask.

Re: New recruits - Dagann - 12-15-2005

Hello

Dagann is a Celtic name, from old Brittany.
My real name is Erwan, i'm from France, living in Paris
I'm interested in Rome and also in Middle Age for as long as i can remember.

I have joined this forum because i want to learn more about roman army since my knowledge are a little light in my opinion.
The good atmosphere of the board, the interchanges opportunity have achieved to convince me to become a rat member.

I was an archeologist student a few years ago( my child dream), but i have stopped my studies.

I m now learning 3D as a self-taught, ans i start modeling a legionnaire. :roll:

By the way, i apologize for my "franglais", and don't be afraid to correct my english, since i want to improve myself. :wink:

Re: New recruits - Praefectusclassis - 12-15-2005

Hi Erwan!
A belated welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on your progress with the 3D legionary.

Re: New recruits - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 12-15-2005

Welcome to all new members.

I'm glad to see more new recruits and look forward
to your comments.

Ste,funny you should mention(gasp)Normans.
I recently have been getting a bit into that
as well as my Roman,Greek studies.
I hope to talk furthur on that subject,too.
Recently discovered the Regia site myself.

Bon jour,Erwan.

Re: New recruits - Dagann - 12-15-2005

Thanks for the welcome.

Jasper Oorthuys
Yes i will keep up posting. :wink:

andy booker

Hi andy.
Unfortunately i dont know a lot about Normans even if it a fascinating period.
The Hundred Years's war is a fantastic period to study.

See you soon in bustling talks.

Re: New recruits - GALLA PLACIDIA - 12-20-2005

Hello! My name is Carme and I re-enact in the LEGIO I GERMANICA as Galla Placidia... HONOUR ME!!! :mrgreen:

Seriously... I hope to learn a lot about Late Roman stuff here!

Kisses to Vortigern, Aitor, Tibisius, Avitianus, Maritimus and Faventianus! And to the rest of new friends I'll make here!