RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Spartan198 - 09-12-2008

Quote:(Don't forget to put your real name in your signature (to be found in your profile) Wink , if you don't know how, one of the mods will probably tell you! Wink )
What for? :?:

Re: New recruits - Iagoba - 09-12-2008

Hi!

Welcome to all newcomers. The real name in your signature it´s just a forum rule It´s nice to know the name of other RATers, and sometimes we even meet in events and so. Big Grin

Thanks! - ioannes sebald - 09-13-2008

Hi there,many thanks to le Cavalier Invisible for reminding me about the Signature,i have to put it down to senility,while i am here,does anyone out there know if Roman military titles or ranks were ever given out to War Leaders of Foederati in the Late 4th Century,even minor specimens,Wassail,Ioannes Sebald.

Re: My Introduction - Salvianus - 09-13-2008

Quote:i represent a Germanic War Leader c400c.e garrisoned with his followers at a Coastal Signal Station,i joined up as i love conversing with others who have the same fascination with Rome as i do (even though i am a Federate),look forward to hearing from you,as we say in the old country,Wassail.

salve frater Big Grin

Sounds like we have similar interests - Comitatus usually also portray a 400 A.D dateline and count the southern end of the chain of N. Yorks signal stations as our home. We have a few Germanic legionaries in the group and do the occasional sub-Roman event:

http://www.comitatus.net/Rydale2008/

do get in touch - I'm intrigued by what kit choices you've made: making the identification of 'Germanic' and 'Roman' for this period can be fun!

Big Grin

cheers

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 09-13-2008

Quote:
le Cavalier Invisible:1xcs6l2e Wrote:(Don't forget to put your real name in your signature (to be found in your profile) Wink , if you don't know how, one of the mods will probably tell you! Wink )
What for? :?:
You should have known that IF you had read the rules before joining, as all of our members are required to do. So, as Manuel already forecasted, here's the mod: please add your real (first) name to the signature in your profile, so that everybody can see it when you post.

Re: Thanks! - Robert Vermaat - 09-13-2008

Quote:Hi there,many thanks to le Cavalier Invisible for reminding me about the Signature,i have to put it down to senility
Then I probably don't have to remind you again? :wink:
Welcome, btw, to another Late Roman re-enactor in our midst.

Re: New recruits - Spartan198 - 09-13-2008

Quote:The real name in your signature it´s just a forum rule It´s nice to know the name of other RATers, and sometimes we even meet in events and so. Big Grin
Okay, fixed.

But just be mindful that I'm not yet comfortable with putting my full last name. That'll change shortly, once I get to know everyone a bit more, though. Big Grin

Re: Thanks! - Salvianus - 09-14-2008

Quote:while i am here,does anyone out there know if Roman military titles or ranks were ever given out to War Leaders of Foederati in the Late 4th Century,even minor specimens,Wassail,Ioannes Sebald.

Interesting question, Ioannes. I had a quick look at Hugh Elton's Warfare in Roman Europe, as he looks at the 'barbarianisation' of the army at this time. He notes that the terms foederati and auxilia were used indifferently and possibly for the same troops at the time, but he prefers to reserve foederati for regular comitatensis units of 'barbarian' troops generally organised, equipped and treated like the 'Roman' ones, i.e. led by the same officer structure - a tribune sometimes called praepositus in charge.

He identifies the auxilia as 'allies', barbarian groups raised for specific campaigns and often settled in reward, led by Roman strategic command under the direct control of their own nobles - if it these you are interested in, I think I'll have to look further for ideas - do you have a particular unit or national group in mind? Elton records Ammianus Marcelinus referring to Allamani feoderati in Britain?

cheers

Reply to Salvianus - ioannes sebald - 09-14-2008

Salve Milite,sorry,i do not know your rank,many thanks for answering,i thought i should fill in a few details about my character as i have been a bit vague,his warband is around 30/40 in size and is a breakaway faction from a much larger entity,he is in origin an Angle but the rest are a mixed bunch,the Signal Station is based on the supposed site on Hartlepool Headland,assuming it was Re-Fortified when Stilicho was messing things about,i have a copy of that book and i know what you mean ,i am not sure just what he is getting at,anyway,thank you again and hope to hear from you,it has been good talking,Wassail,Ioannes.

Re: Reply to Salvianus - Salvianus - 09-15-2008

Quote:...his warband is around 30/40 in size and is a breakaway faction from a much larger entity,he is in origin an Angle but the rest are a mixed bunch,the Signal Station is based on the supposed site on Hartlepool Headland

Hi Ioannes - I'm just a humble miles, though I'm sometimes tubicen and cornicen - acting, without pay, of course :-) )

That sounds like a well developed backstory - really bringing the period to life :-) ) I'm not too familiar with the area - is that the lost station at Huntcliff, above Saltburn or might there be another further north?

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php ... /0/page/21

I thought there was a lead on titles in the Osprey book, Germanic Warrior where Simon MacDowall quotes 'Visigothic Laws' which reference the Roman officer title 'centenarius' and a 'thiufadus', which he says commands a thousand men, but it seems the source for these is much later into C6th (?), based loosely on Roman Theodosian codes:

http://www.northvegr.org/lore/germaniclaw/002_01.php

An intriguing thought - I have little knowledge about Anglian language etc - that's what I love about the period: always new areas to investigate!

cheers

Ste

Response to Salvianus - ioannes sebald - 09-15-2008

Salve,Salvianus,thanks for getting back so quickly,the Signal Station is not the one at Huntcliffe,it is actually a few miles North of the River Tees,though it might not have existed,some Archaeologists think it did but there is no evidence,i live in hope,one thing i forgot to mention is that my Character was formerly a Roman Marine serving in a small provincial fleet prior to his current er... career,on the subject of his kit well about 50% of it is Germanic,mostly Clothing,the rest is Roman,if you like i can send a list once i learn how to spell much of it,oh,and you probably know this but Wassail is a pretty widespread greeting in Germanic parts,loosely it means Good Health,May the Gods protect all Soldiers . Ioannes.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 09-15-2008

Iain, mind your signature. Read your PM.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 09-15-2008

Quote:But just be mindful that I'm not yet comfortable with putting my full last name.
Then read your PM more carefully to know that we do not ask you to. First name is good enough. :wink:

Re: New recruits - Medicus matt - 09-16-2008

Just a quick hello. I'm Matt Bunker, also known as Medicus Matt in late roman re-enactment circles.
If you've been to a late-roman re-enactment event in the UK over the last decade then you may have seen me up to my armpits in blood giving demonstrations of surgical techniques.
I've known Robert for...oooooh, quite a while, been a re-enactor for getting on for 20 years and, whilst running my own group 'ERA' (as I did until my unfortunate eye/arrow interface incident in 2006) I worked with Britannia, Comitatus, the Batavians, Alain and his Foederati, Derk and the Executioners (Exculcatores) and a few others. I even did shows at the ElfFair at Haarzuilens a couple of times.

Main interest these days is in the very end of Imperial control in Britain and the beginnings of England so I tend towards the foederati or germanic settler as far as portrayals are concerned...unless I'm slicing someone up on the operating table. Big Grin

I've lurked here for a while now so thought it was about time I said hello properly.

So, hello.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Odd....I've sorted out my signature with my real name...why doesn't it appear? Robert? [size=150:17uuam2f]ROBERT![/size]...ahhh, sussed it. As you were.

Question for Moderator Valerius - ioannes sebald - 09-16-2008

Sorry about this but do you mean i should use my PM for contacts instead of Quick Reply,i am very new to all this,Ioannes Sebald.