RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Libitina - 09-16-2008

Hi Matt and welcome! Your name looks familiar but I'm not in a Roman group myself so perhap it's a "net thing" Big Grin

Re: Response to Salvianus - Salvianus - 09-16-2008

Quote:Salve,Salvianus,thanks for getting back so quickly,the Signal Station is not the one at Huntcliffe,it is actually a few miles North of the River Tees,though it might not have existed,some Archaeologists think it did but there is no evidence,i live in hope

It would be good to see more investigation on the true extant of the coastal signal stations and how they worked with the forts. It always amazes me how many sites there are out there awaiting thorough excavation!

Wassail!

Re: New recruits - Salvianus - 09-16-2008

Quote:Just a quick hello. I'm Matt Bunker, also known as Medicus Matt in late roman re-enactment circles.

Salve, Matt, very good to have you around Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Caturiga - 09-16-2008

Wotcha all!

Just joined, thought I'd better introduce myself and get the scary part over with! Confusedhock: Name's Beth; I'm a student from the UK, primarily interested in Iron Age north-west Europe (particularly Britain), what happened when the Romans arrived, and what happened when they left. I'm also trying to build up some kit for a Celtic warrior impression (though I'm not a member of any reenactment group yet), so I thought it would pay to know my enemy. :wink: Look forward to learning a lot. Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Octavianvs - 09-16-2008

Gretings and welcome Beth ! Big Grin //www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewforum.php?f=25.:2619nfq6]www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewforum.php?f=25.[/url]

Thanks for the welcome! Smile D

Re: New recruits - Libitina - 09-16-2008

Hiya Beth, welcome to RAT Big Grin

Thank you! Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Björnulf - 09-16-2008

Hi all,
My name is Björn and I'm an Art Historian from the Netherlands with a passion for living history ( I'm still looking for a group though ). I stumpled on my internet searches for information more than once on your forum and that's why I decided to join.
I'm intrigued by the period after the romans left Northen Europe (sorry guys) and the beauty of the art of the Merovingians, Frisians and Anglo Saxons. I especially love the refined early Anglo Saxon art and the mysteries of Sutton Hoo.

Re: New recruits - Virilis - 09-16-2008

Quote:Hi all,
My name is Björn and I'm an Art Historian from the Netherlands with a passion for living history ( I'm still looking for a group though ). I stumpled on my internet searches for information more than once on your forum and that's why I decided to join.
I'm intrigued by the period after the romans left Northen Europe (sorry guys) and the beauty of the art of the Merovingians, Frisians and Anglo Saxons. I especially love the refined early Anglo Saxon art and the mysteries of Sutton Hoo.

Welcome Björn and don`t worry about your period of interest, there is a surprising amount of "romanness" in your period of interest too :wink: ...

Re: New recruits - Björnulf - 09-16-2008

Quote:Welcome Björn and don`t worry about your period of interest, there is a surprising amount of "romanness" in your period of interest too :wink: ...

Yes that's true, roman inspired shoulderclasps, a helm based on a late roman ridge helm, a spatha and a relative of the lorica hamata. And that's just the contents of one grave. :lol: There should be more than enough to explore for me on this forum.

Newbee to group - YaRoma - 09-17-2008

Greetings, I wish good tidings to all. I am former member of the United States Marine Corps and a retired Law enforcement officer in the United States. I have recently been able to take the time to embrace my interests for the Roman Military and its Political history. I am currently looking into several south eastern re-enactment groups in the U.S. The history of the Republic and the early years of the empire are my main areas of interests at this time.

Semper Fi

Re: Thanks! - authun - 09-17-2008

Quote:while i am here,does anyone out there know if Roman military titles or ranks were ever given out to War Leaders of Foederati in the Late 4th Century,even minor specimens,Wassail,Ioannes Sebald.

It may be possible. Michael Gebühr writes that the Thorsjerg tunic was a Tunica Rosa, a type given to Foederati who achieved high rank in Roman service. That would indicate a special recognition made visually obvious. It's only a short step to an official rank denoting the same.

Others however kept titles which denoted their position and tribal affiliation. Chrocus at York in 306 for example is titled 'Alamannorum Rege' (Aurelius Victor).

Mostly however, we don't know. We just have snippets from the sources:

276 - 279 Probus defeats alemannic insurection around the Rhine and along with their leader Igillus "sent [them] to Britain, where they settled, and were subsequently very serviceable to the emperor when any insurrection broke out." (Zosiumus)

372 Valentinian sends the Alamannic Fraomarius of the Bucinobantes (an alamannic canton), along with other Alamannic troops commanded by
Bitheridius and Hortarius, to Britain. (Ammianus Marcellinus)

Laeti, those who were given land in return for service in times of need are likely to have been low status and virtually impossible to pick up in the archaeology. I doubt we'd have any ranks for them. They're just making up the numbers.

I see that you have just acquired a new and previously unknown signal station station at the Street House, Loftus site by the way.

best

Re: Thanks! - Salvianus - 09-17-2008

Quote:I see that you have just acquired a new and previously unknown signal station station at the Street House, Loftus site by the way.

Yay - just the kind of thing! I wonder if an occupational link to the Anglo-Saxon burials can be determined?

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ght=signal

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess ... -21672941/
Big Grin

Re: Thanks! - authun - 09-17-2008

Quote:Yay - just the kind of thing! I wonder if an occupational link to the Anglo-Saxon burials can be determined?

The article indicates that they expect to discover more evidence of roman and anglo saxon settlements. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

The nearby signal stations, Goldsborough and Huntcliff ended in conflagration in the early years of the 5th cent. The bodies of men women and children were thrown down the wells. It seems that civilians had moved into the signal stations, maybe paying for protection, possibly families of the military. A similar situation occurred in Malton. We don't know who the attackers were, anglo saxons, picts or britons settling old scores but if there is some sort of continuity of settlement at Loftus, it may thrown some light on the matter.

If the later 7th cent burials do indicate a royal site, there has to be a reason why that site was chosen. The most obvious reason is that some anglo saxon group took over the station as their base in the 5th cent and a settlement developed and they became the local power. However, it's still a long shot and there's no evidence yet. I hope they keep digging!

best