RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Greetings to All! - Virtus Probi Invicti - 09-28-2008

Hello! I'm Bill, and I just registered. I have been interested in Roman history since I started collecting Roman coins as a young boy, and I have particular interests in the "military anarchy" period of the Empire, the Illyrian "Hero Emperors" (especially Probus), and Late Antiquity. Roughly half of my evening reading touches upon these topics...I recently finished Heather's "The Fall of the Roman Empire", and will soon start "Justinian's Flea".
If my attempt at uploading a photo worked, you'll see my hand over one of the swords in the Porphyry Tetrarchs column in Piazza San Marco, Venezia. I have long been fascinated by the spathae with narrow blades and thick cross sections, especially those with very long tangs. The essay "Roman Inlaid Swords" by Horbacz and Oledzki in JRMES 9 thrilled me by revealing that serious researchers also questioned whether these weapons might have been wielded with two hands. While in Italy, I had to make a special trip to examine this statue closely myself...given that the Tetrarchs were less than lifesize, I think that their swords could have been used with two hands. Doesn't mean that they WERE, and the dimensions could easily have been messed up by the artisans...maybe the Romans just thought that the eagle head pommels looked cooler when they were of exaggerated length, I don't know.
I suspect that this topic may have come up earlier here, but haven't found it in my searches yet. Anyway, this looks like a fantastic forum, and I hope to learn a lot here. Maybe I can even contribute some new things in my amateur and inexpert fashion...
Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Narukami - 09-29-2008

Welcome to the Forum Bill.

Indeed there is plenty here to read and learn. Not a week goes by that I do not learn something new from the members here.

We touch upon a wide range of topics beyond ancient Rome, though that is our main focus.

Do not hesitate to join in -- the conversations here are always lively, even heated sometimes, but never toxic.

So enjoy and once again Welcome to the Forum.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: New recruits - Virtus Probi Invicti - 09-29-2008

Thank You, Narukami!
I have been looking through a few recent discussions and am quite impressed with the knowledge of the posters.
I think that this place is going to be fun!
Best,
Bill

Welcome Virtus! - ioannes sebald - 09-29-2008

Hi there Smile ,great to have another Later/Late Roman in the ranks,our numbers sure are swelling(yes,i know i'm only Semibarbarus),i'm sure you'lle be made more than welcome and have plenty to contribute especialy after reading your post.One thing you might be able to help me out with while i'm here,have any of those Late Eagle Pommel Spathae been excavated because i've never come across even one?,many thanks and Wassail.

Re: New recruits - Virtus Probi Invicti - 09-29-2008

Hi Ioannes!
I do have some photos of a spatha with an eagle head pommel from a private collector, but he suspected that it was assembled from separate finds in modern times. I believe that there are a few surviving parazonia from statues that have eagle pommels. I honestly don't know of any provenanced finds of actual swords, though.
I think that my photo of my hand on a Porphyry Tetrarch's sword was too big...I'll try to fix that tonight.

salve - roydh - 09-29-2008

hi
im roy hollar
i live in charlotte nc usa
i want to learn more about rome
i want to reenact but do it right
i first became interested in rome when i saw
spartacus the first time when i was young

hi - Count Theo - 09-30-2008

Hi to everyone. Smile

Saw this site while browsing the net and having a keen passion for all things Roman thought i would join.

My main period of interest is the Later Roman Empire and the bit of history just after in Britain and Europe.

Worked in archaeology for a number of years including excavating on a former Colonia site (Lincoln) and at least one Roman Fort. Travelled the excavation circuit in Britain in the late 80's and early 90's and got a degree in archaeology at the University of Wales Cardiff in the mid 90's.

Excuse the poor spelling in future :wink:

All the best,
Darren

Re: hi - fasta - 09-30-2008

Quote:My main period of interest is the Later Roman Empire and the bit of history just after in Britain and Europe.

Welcome Count Smile
That period is of interest to myself.

Yet Another Welcome! - ioannes sebald - 09-30-2008

Greetings Count Theo,excellent to have one more Late Roman in our midst,but where are they all coming from?,perhaps we need a few new Germanics to even things up :twisted: ,hope you enjoy yourself here though,it's busy,but fun.By the way,i was on the Archaeology Circuit myself in the late 80's/early 90's,i wonder if our paths ever crossed?,and don't worry about your spelling,you should see mine Sad ,all the best and Wassail.

Re: Yet Another Welcome! - fasta - 09-30-2008

Quote:Greetings Count Theo,excellent to have one more Late Roman in our midst,but where are they all coming from?

Putting down a new barbarian conspiracy! :lol:

Re: New recruits - Count Theo - 09-30-2008

thanks for the welcome lads Big Grin

........and those pesky Barbarians need putting down :wink: :lol:

Worked in archaeology from Lincoln and Lincolnshire through the late 80's, then to St.Albans for a stint, Rey Cross Marching camp and Bowes signal station (A66 project), rescue work across Wiltshire, Hampshire and Dorset and then across the Midlands for a bit. Retired from the circuit after a road smash left me a bit too worse for wear but still miss it hell of a lot. Helped record various small finds on and off for a while but now have little contact with that world.

Been a collector of Late Roman and Dark Age 28mm miniatures for a number of years and paint a few now and again but dont do any wargaming. Painted Wargames Foundry's range of Late Romans for them and can be seen on Kevin Dallimores web site.

The later Roman and the early Dark Age periods in Britain have always captivated my imagination the most but like all history and archaeology Smile

All the best,
Darren

Message from Pesky Barbarian - ioannes sebald - 09-30-2008

Beware!,i'm on good terms with Alaric :twisted: Count Theo-when you say you worked on the A66 Project,was that around 1989 when,i think,Richard Anniss was site supervisor?,if so,do you remember the fool who had to be carted off in an ambulance from Dove Hall Farm after the incident with a barrow lifted over a roadside fence?,that's how i did my back in and i have'nt worked since,i still miss it myself but...that's life,anyhow,all the best and Wassail.

Re: New recruits - Count Theo - 09-30-2008

who's Alaric :wink:

and yes was on the A66 project during part of the period Richard was supervising but only stayed a few months due to something coming up in warmer climes down South.........it was damn wet and cold up there from what i remember and no sign of Eric Bloodaxe either Sad Pip Robinson was the boss at the time and i was the drunken fool that fell down some stairs during a party in Darlington.

Sorry to hear about your injury

All the best,
Darren

Re: Yet Another Welcome! - Salvianus - 09-30-2008

Quote:Greetings Count Theo,excellent to have one more Late Roman in our midst,but where are they all coming from?

When all of you are Late, you do tend to turn up at once :lol:

One for Count Theo & Salvianus - ioannes sebald - 10-01-2008

Rome's Nightmare :twisted: ,i thought you might have been there,fun was'nt it!,b*dy cold too,by the way,Pip got married and now has kids,she retired from the job a good few years ago,i think Richard's still "in the mix" up at Durham though,you did the right thing moving South,believe me.As for that one Salvianus,all i can say on behalf of the Barbaricum is,DOH! Confusedhock: .