RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Greenskin - 10-07-2008

Hay everyone,
Im 30, come from Australia and have been in the Australian Army -(INFANTRY) for 13 yrs. I presently hold the rank of corporal (section commander) at the First Recruit Training Battalion as a Recruit Instuctor.
Love anything to do with the Roman Army.
Anyway, hope to here from you blokes soon!

Regards

Decanus Greenskin

Re: New recruits - Nihonius Legio - 10-07-2008

Quote:
Nihonius Legio:c34ogvu9 Wrote:Hi everyone. I go by the name nickname "Nihon" usually, but since this is a Roman forum, I Latinized it as Nihonius Legio. The "Legio" part standing for my love of ancient warfare, especially Roman.
I'm also purchasing Roman coins on Ebay, I dont know everyone's feelings about that bu it's what I love. To own a piece of history is awesome. :twisted:

Hi Nihon!
I just joined, too, and am also a Roman coin collector, although a fairly inactive at the moment. I especially like "antoniniani" of Probus with military busts, particularly ones with features on the shield (horseman, ranks of milites, gorgoneion, etc). I used to find a lot of good stuff on eBay, but haven't seen a lot of high quality coins in my interest range there in the last few years...don't know if there's a competing auction site that most dealers moved to?? I also used to take part in the Numism-L forum several years ago.
Anyway, I've just started here, but there are a lot of good posts and names that I know from my reading. Hope you have fun!

I only just got my first coins in the mail yesterday actually. They are Byzantine cup-coins. Not the best quality, but I knew that when I bought them. I;'ve never been able to win an auction for anything good :x
I'llprobably get stuff more expensive through "buy now" option to get stuff. I think i'm going to start going for lots of uncleaned coins and get tools to clean them up. It would be like unwrapping a present at Christmas! Revealing an ancient beauty and art, so awesome!
Thanks for the replys everyone. Good luck to you all in everything you do.

Re: New recruits - fasta - 10-07-2008

Quote:Hay everyone,
Im 30, come from Australia and have been in the Australian Army -(INFANTRY) for 13 yrs. I presently hold the rank of corporal (section commander) at the First Recruit Training Battalion as a Recruit Instuctor.
Love anything to do with the Roman Army.
Anyway, hope to here from you blokes soon!

Regards

Decanus Greenskin

Welcome to the site you will find lots of interesting posts covering the time period from the Republic to the end of the Empire.
Enjoy.

Re: New recruits - Virtus Probi Invicti - 10-07-2008

Quote:I only just got my first coins in the mail yesterday actually. They are Byzantine cup-coins. Not the best quality, but I knew that when I bought them. I;'ve never been able to win an auction for anything good :x
I'llprobably get stuff more expensive through "buy now" option to get stuff. I think i'm going to start going for lots of uncleaned coins and get tools to clean them up. It would be like unwrapping a present at Christmas! Revealing an ancient beauty and art, so awesome!
Thanks for the replys everyone. Good luck to you all in everything you do.

You might try www.vcoins.com for higher quality stuff, it's a site with listings from multiple dealers. I've purchased a few things there with no issues, and I know a number of the dealers from other places and they are top notch. Some activity on a thread here inspired me to look for particular coins there, and I ordered two on Friday...one showed up yesterday, which amazed me.
eBay has been pretty dead as far as my interests go for some time, and good stuff does go for high prices there. Good luck!

Re: New recruits - Morloi - 10-08-2008

Ave!
Here is Morloi (aka Alessandro Grazioli) from Italy, proud member of Legio XII Fulminata.
^_^

Re: New recruits - Jeroen Pelgrom - 10-08-2008

hi Alessandro,

welcome to RAT!

Re: New recruits - Francois - 10-09-2008

Hi !
I am François, a French student from Paris, starting this year a thesis for PhD about the Roman military history. My subject is the supply of the Roman armies during the Civil Wars (49-30 BC), as my previous work (for my Master degree) was about the supply of the legions during the Gallic War.

I joined here on the recommandation of Jonathan P. Roth, who told me to get in touch with the Society of Ancient Military Historians. He said that I might find some interesting contacts ! And I think he was right : a quick look at the many topics on this forum show me how interesting it could be to have some little chats here !

Anyway, I am glad to be here and I will try to come as often as possible !

Re: New recruits - barcid - 10-09-2008

Hi Folks ,been a member a few weeks now :oops: forgot to post up here as Ive been too busy reading the many threads .

Live in Adelaide South Australia .have been interested in Ancient History since My teens Wargaming mostly & I have reenacted other Periods 17th cent. Pike & musket , ACW Artillery & 1866 -1870's US cavalry ( shot Cowboy Action events )

the period of overseas expansion 260 -140 BC ish. is my main interest particularly western Med. Basin ,Africa ,Spain & Punic wars . Have not done any collecting or reenacting for around 10 years .Got the Bug to do So! I have a Republican impression under construction , enhanced with a few items to represent a Punic Veteran in Italy . would very much like to get in touch with other Aussie reenactors .cheers Dave

Re: New recruits - Tiberius Clodius Corvinus - 10-12-2008

Hi Francois, Hello Dave,

welcome tot the board. Smile

Re: New recruits - Francois - 10-12-2008

Thank you !
I think I have many weeks of reading ahead of me ! Wink

Re: New recruits - Maiorius Urbanus - 10-13-2008

Hi,
I'm 28 from Obernburg in Germany and member of our "Römerverein" for 1 1/2 years now. I'm just working on the equipment of an optio 206 ad. This forum already helped me a lot

Welcome! - ioannes sebald - 10-13-2008

Salve Maiorius!,nice to find someone from the 3rd Century for a change Smile ,i'm sure you'lle find lots to interest you here and a chance to make many new friends,as a matter of interest,which unit do you represent?,it is'nt my period strictly but i'm really curious about it all the same,best wishes and Wassail.

Re: New recruits - barcid - 10-13-2008

Quote:Hi Francois, Hello Dave,
welcome tot the board. Smile

thank you my friend .wonderful site ! Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Maiorius Urbanus - 10-13-2008

Quote:as a matter of interest,which unit do you represent?,it is'nt my period strictly but i'm really curious about it all the same,best wishes and Wassail.
I represent the legio XXII. Optio Maiorius Urbanus was sent from Mainz to Obernburg as leader of a vexillation for cutting wood

Re: New recruits - Polynikes - 10-14-2008

Hi everyone,

I'm a student from Canberra Australia. I'm interested in every part of ancient warfare, Greek and Roman. Good to be part of this group of like minded people.