RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - FAVENTIANVS - 12-27-2005

Welcome Aaron!

Re: Hi! - Robert Vermaat - 12-27-2005

Quote:Being a Latin teacher helps somewhat to keep the subject on my radar screen, though I don't get to teach the class at my school that best relates to this subject, our 8th grade Greek and Roman history class. (The 8th grade teacher does bring me in every year, though to do "Dr. Larsen's Legendary Legion Lecture" and this year I also did the 1st annual "Fantastic Phalanx Forum." Big Grin )

Welcome (back) Aaron!
Alweays good to have a teacher around. How old are the kids that you are teaching?

Re: New recruits - Aaron Larsen - 12-27-2005

This year, they range in age from 6th grade (11-12 year-olds), if you count my 6th grade PE class, to 10th graders (15-16 year-olds). I've taught Latin classes to groups as young as 4th grade and an occasional college class, but that's a pretty typical age-range for me.

Re: New recruits - Martin Moser - 12-27-2005

Hi all,

I kind of missed this topic, it seems :-O - well, here we go:

Joined this forum some weeks ago and impressed with the scope of information available as well as the helpfullness of people here! I hope I can do my share with what little I know. My "specialities" if I were to call them that are Roman medicine and things gladiatorial. I also do reconstructions of various kinds and materials.

I live in the south of Germany, near Munich, and work as a software tester and occasionally as a translator/interpreter for Japanese - German(/English).

cheers,

Martin

Re: New recruits - Tarbicus - 12-27-2005

Quote:My "specialities" if I were to call them that are Roman medicine
Just started reading 'Doctors and Diseases in the Roman Empire' by Ralph Jackson. Fascinating stuff. Any other suggestions for reading on the subject?

Re: New recruits - Martin Moser - 12-28-2005

Hi Jim,

that is a very good choice!

A few suggestions:

In English there's
Roman Medicine (Revealing History (Paperback)) by Audrey Cruse (2004), but I haven't read that yet. For contemporary knowledge look e.g. for
Celsus - De Medicina. Tranl. by W.G. Spencer. Loeb Classical Library.
Also interesting is
The Roman Military medical Service. in Service in the Roman Army. Roy W. Davies. Edinburgh 1989

In German:
Antike Heilkunst. Ausgewählte Texte. Jutta Kollesch (Ed.) Reclam 9305
Der Arzt im Altertum. Walter Müri. München 1943
Heilkunst und Heilkult - Medizin in der Antike. Antje Krug. München 1993
Medizin in der Antike. Ernst Künzl. Stuttgart 2002

A German online version of Dioscurides' Materia Medica can be found at
http://www.tiscalinet.ch/materiamedica/

Let me know if you are looking for something special, there's lots of articles out there.

cheers,

Martin

Re: New recruits - Tarbicus - 12-28-2005

Thanks Martin, much appreciated Big Grin Very nice medical repros, btw.

Re: New recruits - TIBISIVS - 01-09-2006

Salve Jim
I do not find these editions.
You have ISBN of:
Roman Medicine (Revealing History (Paperback)) by Audrey Cruse (2004)
The Roman Military medical Service. in Service in the Roman Army. Roy W. Davies. Edinburgh 1989
Thanks
Vale

Re: New recruits - Tarbicus - 01-09-2006

Hi Tibisius,

According to Amazon:

Roman Medicine (Revealing History (Paperback)) by Audrey Cruse (2004)
Paperback: 176 pages (May 2004)
Publisher: Tempus Publishing Ltd
ISBN: 0752414615

Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Edinburgh University Press with the Publications Board of the University of Durham (1989)
ISBN: 085224648X

Re: New recruits - TIBISIVS - 01-10-2006

Salve Jim
Thank you very much.
Vale!

Re: New recruits - Commilito - 01-14-2006

Hello everybody.

Well, I suppose a short introduction is in order.
My name as you might have guessed is Sean.

I am 16 years old and am going to high school in Fallbrook, California. I became interested in Rome when I was about 7 and my uncle, who has a degree (or something) in Roman history bought me the Peter Collony books about Tiberius Claudius Maximus. Perfect to addict someone to the subject, lots of big shiny pictures and cool battlescenes. Predictably, I was hooked.

Needless to say, like most people "into" the period, I now own lots of the great Osprey books and lots of others. I am also fairly interested in Greek history, and have recently began reading books on the Uruk Empire and other societies of that time (3500-2500 B.C.).

Anyways, I've been coming to this website and forum for a few months, just reading, and finally decided to register. I'm currently working on a 3rd century Roman comitatenses costume, getting it togeather as fast as my extremely limited cash resources will allow :roll: .

Well, looks fun. I'll see all you people on the board.

Re: New recruits - TIBISIVS - 01-14-2006

Salve Sean !!
You can see III S. impresions in www.primagermanica.com .
You are welcome in the reenactors world.
In others webs apears some pictures for this period.
And if you read in spanish this book is very recommended for this period
LAS LEGIONES ROMANAS DEL S.III D.C. EN EL CAMPO DE BATALLA.
A. RAÚL.MENÉNDEZ ARGÃœÃÂÂ

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 01-14-2006

Quote: I'm currently working on a 3rd century Roman comitatenses costume, getting it togeather as fast as my extremely limited cash resources will allow

You need any groups to look at? Well there's first of all the Populares Vindelicenses, then the Legio III Italica Antoniniana of course, and the Pedites Singulares of the Legio I Minerva, and of course the Navis Lusoria, that great reconstruction of a ship!

Re: New recruits - Anonymous - 01-20-2006

Hail fellow Roman enthusiasts.

My name is Byron E Durk and I reside in Cleveland Ohio, USA. Im currently an undergrad at the Jesuit University John Carroll University, majoring in History with a classical concentration.

I became interested in Roman culture back in highschool when my know-it-all friends thought they knew everything and anything dealing with pre-early modern history especially the classics. I delved into it to hold my own in a conversation and ended up being enthralled and positivily star struck by how interesting that time period was.

Which leads me to today, completely interested in Rome and studying to someday have the opportunity to get other youngsters as interested in it as I am, as a teacher and maybe someday get my Phd.

As obvious by my forum alias im also very interested in Greek Mythology, and have a bit of an addiction with Odysseus. He is my Greek counterpart. My knowledge in mythology, both Greek and Roman, may be more comprehensive than my knowledge of their histories, I still know a good deal... which brings me here, hoping to expand both my Latin lexicon and my general knowledge of classical cultures, more specifically Roman History.

I figure I can probably learn more in discussion with the real world than trying to get my eyes to bleed reading text books.

Re: New recruits - FAVENTIANVS - 01-20-2006

Welcome to Itaca Odysseus!