RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 11-30-2008

Quote:Still thinking about what signature to go with. I'll try not to take to long.
As long as it includes your real (first) name. Which is a forum rule. Best do that right away and add the rest later. :wink:

New recriut joining the ranks - gaius marcius1 - 12-01-2008

Salvete omnes

I am Gaius Marcius Crispus, citizen and scribe of Nova Roma.

My interests are roman history and archaeology. I try to visit Hadrian's Wall and the supporting forts each year, and have recently started to research Lanchester (Longovicium).

Within Nova Roma I am a scribe involved with the historical quizzes (certamen historicum) and also the financing of the Magna Mater project. Basically I just help out wherever I can!

I was also sort of involved with the burial of the unknown roman teenage girl in Londinium.

I can help people find the roman sites within the city of London.

I look forward to joining you all.

Valete optime
Crispus

Re: New recruits - Lupianus - 12-01-2008

Salvete commilitiones!

My name is Til and I'm from Darkest Germany, not far beyond the Roman frontier. Been a reenactor for about 13 years now, not exclusively in the Roman period, but my heart has always beaten for those sandal bearers. Lately discovered a great interest in the Middle Imperial army around 260 AD. Maybe it will turn out as a new scope...

Besides, I'm a wargaming passionate and have collected all kinds of miniatures portraying the Roman army from Caesar to Romulus Augustulus.

Not to forget, the real life: Currently I'm working on my doctoral thesis in history, but that's a bit offtopic here. Wink

I'm looking forward to some fruitful discussions, hopefully as educated on my behalf as I've found them here being a lurker for a time.

Semper valete!

Re: New recruits - Tiberius Clodius Corvinus - 12-01-2008

Welcome to the boards guys.

Welcome message - gaius marcius1 - 12-01-2008

Crispus Tiberius s.p.d

Many thanks for your welcome, and I also greet my two fellow tiros from today.

What number is
LEG XIIX AVG?

I recognise LEGIIAVG. They were involved in the defeat of Boudicca, along with my favorite, LEGIXHISP, but I'm afraid XIIX is not the math I know.

Vale optime

Crispus

Re: Welcome message - Tiberius Clodius Corvinus - 12-01-2008

Quote:What number is LEG XIIX AVG?
Salve Crispus,
XIIX is the number 18 (of Varus' ill-fated legion). It's not the usual way to write the number but you find it sometimes and in military context. May be it was done for sake of symmetry or lack of education back then, at least that's I chose it for ;-) ) . There's somewhere a thread on here that deals with the topic and has some pictures of burial stones posted, IIRC. thanks for asking. Smile
Quote:I was also sort of involved with the burial of the unknown roman teenage girl in Londinium.
sounds interesting. how come?

all the best,
Carsten

LEG XllX AUG - gaius marcius1 - 12-02-2008

Salve Corvine

Many thanks for the ideas about how the 18th might have displayed their number.

Symmetry and design sound very plausible. It would certainly look good whatever it was carved or painted on. That's something I had not thought of, so I am very grateful to you for putting that idea in my head. I shall have to look more closely at insignia in the future.

Yes, the 17th, 18th and 19th. Varus, legiones redde! A dreadful business, and it reminds me of one theory about the 9th Spanish, my own favorite.

You will see from my profile that I am well past the age for retiring from the eagles. But I would have loved to have been active in LEG IX HISP, had a group been active at the time. One group did come and go, but unfortunately we passed one another by. I shall always regret missing the chance to be a tiro, - or perhaps even an optio spes - under those colours. Then I could have legitimately earned my citizenship. Aaah well.

On the roman teenage girl, yes, I have the story, the words of the funeral service, and a picture of the Consul of Nova Roma and me standing beside the marble plaque. I'm not sure which bit of the site to post it into - any suggestions? It is, I think, a great story, and London did very well to arrange and mark the reburial in such a sensitive way. For once the bureaucrats were overruled!

Big Grin

So, thanks again - I think I am going to like it here.

Vale optime

Gaius Marcius Crispus AKA Bob[/b]

Re: New recruits - Attalus - 12-03-2008

Hello,

My name is Mike.
I'm 15 years old.
I live in Belgium and I've been interested in Roman and Greek history for several years.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 12-03-2008

Hi Mike, hi Bob,

Welcome, but! you must fill in your real (first) name in your signature (the one in your profile). Forum rule, boys! :!:

Re: New recruits - Tiberius Clodius Corvinus - 12-03-2008

You're welcome Crispus.
Quote:On the roman teenage girl, yes, I have the story, the words of the funeral service, and a picture of the Consul of Nova Roma and me standing beside the marble plaque. I'm not sure which bit of the site to post it into - any suggestions? It is, I think, a great story, and London did very well to arrange and mark the reburial in such a sensitive way. For once the bureaucrats were overruled!
I think the story would fit into the "Ancient Civ Talk"-section if you performed an authentic Roman burial ceremony. If not, it's just fine in "Off Topic"-section.

In case you haven't figured out how to change your sig ... you can do that here: Profile > Profile > Signature
(its also a good opportunity to place an awesome proverb that needs to be shared. Big Grin )

looking forward to read the story Smile

Vale
Corvine

Re: New recruits - Tiberius Clodius Corvinus - 12-03-2008

Welcome Mike,

according to the RAT-statistics Belgium seems to be a hotspot for Roman enthusiasts

Re: New recruits - Iagoba - 12-03-2008

Welcolme all! Big Grin

I think I´ve meet Antonio before :lol: One reenactor called Antonio in Basqueland, even with more than 1.500.000 basques, I can figure wich one it´s.

Vasconia/ Basqueland/País Vasco/ Euskal Herria are more or less the same.:

Just a bunch of mad people with lots of mountains and a non-indoeuropean language. And I´m one of them :twisted:

Well, some "Septimani Seniores" say that "Catalonia is not Tarraconensis" which may be more shocking :lol:

LEG XIIX AVG and Roman Teenager burial - gaius marcius1 - 12-03-2008

Salve Corvine et salvete omnes

Thanks for that, I shall put the story together and post it.

Thanks for the tip about signature. I believe I have done it now.
By the way "Bob" is the common abbreviation for Robert in English.

Vale et valete omnes

Crispus

Re: New recruits - Marcus Mummius - 12-03-2008

Welcome to all of you!

Mike please add your real name to your signature. I also sent you a PM :wink:

Valete

Re: New recruits - Chris Legio X - 12-05-2008

Welcome all Look forward to talking with you all