RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Merriam - 12-29-2008

Hi folks.

My name is Jeff and I am from Oxford, Massachusetts.

I found this site through a friend.

I have always found history interesting, but my interest in Roman History is fueled by my friendships with re-enactors. My interest is also the result of my recent research in my family history: I found that the first known mention of the name "Merriam" was in the English town Boughton Monchelsea. I believe the town was the site of a Roman ragstone quarry.

I have made a very limited attempt at re-enactment, as I think I would love to talk (and learn) about history with other enthusiasts, while acting the part and maybe building ballista, etc. Unfortunately, I just don't have the personality to allow someone with a modern haircut and hair gel, wearing modern eyeglasses and a Rolex tell me that I can't wear my cheapo Trooper Helm because it is not authentic. So I simply pay the $5 and attend as a spectator.

However, as I remain interested in Roman history, I am glad I have found this site. I expect I will mostly "lurk" for the time being, but occasionally interject my thoughts.

Re: New recruits - Na Saighdiuir - 12-29-2008

Welcome aboard Jeff,we take everyone as they come-what they have and havent at the moment isnt important. Dont hide youll find that the people around here are more than friendly!

Re: New recruits - Arturus Uriconium - 12-31-2008

Good day to all,

My name is Mak Wilson and I live in Shropshire, England but am originally from a town between Durham City and Hadrian's Wall and grew up surrounded by Roman history.

My main interests are late and sub-Roman Britain, although, as you can tell by the username, I have a fascination with Arthur... a healthy one I might add!

I haven't done any reenactment as my work doesn't allow time for it, but I used to teach stage combat a long time ago. It's how I met my wife-to-be when she was a drama student.

I'm looking forward to picking the brains of those here, as well as contributing I hope.

(I also do CGI work and my avatar is a CGI image).

Re: New recruits - The_Mariner - 12-31-2008

Quote:Good day to all,

My name is Mak Wilson and I live in Shropshire, England but am originally from a town between Durham City and Hadrian's Wall and grew up surrounded by Roman history.

My main interests are late and sub-Roman Britain, although, as you can tell by the username, I have a fascination with Arthur... a healthy one I might add!

I haven't done any reenactment as my work doesn't allow time for it, but I used to teach stage combat a long time ago. It's how I met my wife-to-be when she was a drama student.

I'm looking forward to picking the brains of those here, as well as contributing I hope.

(I also do CGI work and my avatar is a CGI image).

Nice to meet you Mak, I will be the first to welcome you
and of course ask you to please put your Real name in
your signature block under your Profile. It is one of the
rules.

We look forward to learning from you too, everyone on
a board something like this has something that someone else
wants to know so fear not we will all learn from each-other.

Thanks Bryan. Just checking to see if I've done what you requested correctly.

Well that worked, but for some reason my web address isn't showing up. Mm.

Re: New recruits - jvrjenivs - 12-31-2008

Quote:Well that worked, but for some reason my web address isn't showing up. Mm.

You've to add http:// to it to let it work correclty.

Thanks Jurjen, let me try that...

Seems it works okay right now Big Grin

Mm... nope. Still didn't appear for me. Are you seeing something I can't?

If you click on your 'www' button under your posts it seems to work. Also, it's in your profile.
You can also place it in your signature using the [ url]url_here[ /url] tags (without the space)

Thanks Jurjen, done it!

Re: New recruits - Quintus Galerius - 01-02-2009

Wellcome!

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 01-03-2009

Welcome, Jeff.

Quote:I expect I will mostly "lurk" for the time being, but occasionally interject my thoughts.
Before you do, mind you, fill in your profile, especially your signature, which must show your real (first) name.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 01-03-2009

Quote:My main interests are late and sub-Roman Britain, although, as you can tell by the username, I have a fascination with Arthur... a healthy one I might add!
Very good! Big Grin Welcome!