RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Tiberius Clodius Corvinus - 01-24-2009

Welcome to RAT guys and enjoy the boards Big Grin

Quote:And, yes, we are trying to shoot a more fierce looking picture of me...
hey, that's impossible!! :wink: Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Hraban - 01-25-2009

Hi all,

thank you for your kind welcome. Smile

@Vortigern Studies,

i am in northern Germany. In Goettingen to be more specific.

Kind regards,

Re: New recruits - M. Eversberg II - 01-31-2009

- where are you from?
I am from Hollywood, Maryland, USA
- how'd you become interested in Rome?
What is all of history, but praise of Rome?
- why are you here?
To learn whatever I can. Mathew Amnt pointed me in this direction when I asked a number of questions about Vegetus and his "De Re Militari".
- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?
I am a student, currently working towards an AS in Computer Programming, but seriously considering changing out of that course for History. In particular, I'd like to teach history.

M.

Re: New recruits - ghandi - 02-03-2009

Quote:Hello,

my name is Gregor and having visited RAT for quite some time now I decided to join up rather than keep an lurking in the shadows. :lol: I'm actually into Germanic Reenactment of the 1st century AD but am also becoming increasingly interested in the Late Roman Army of the 4th century.
I think I have been a "Roman Addict" ever since my parents gave me my first history book at the age of 9. Smile

I am looking for a lot of fun and some interesting discussions and new information here on RAT.

Greetings to everyone,

Hi Gregor, Kumpel!

Re: New recruits - Sutoris - 02-21-2009

Salve omnes,

My name is Filip and I'm new to Roman history.
I'm a medieval shoemaker for 8 years now and always loved the Roman footweare.
So with the help of Stepping through time I made my first Calceus.
No fancy stuf, just trying out the method, and this is realy fun!
Now I want to know all about Roman shoemakers and footweare.
In search of more information I discovered on this forum some good topic's about footweare.
And maybe I can give some advice about handling tools,

Here you find the Calceus and some shoes I made in the past.
[url:zmczm4cc]https://www.photoshop.com/user/indomosutoris[/url]

Filip

Re: New recruits - ceasaris4me - 02-21-2009

hello everyone, My name is cathy and I am new here, this is my first post, I live in HollyWierd california and luv the Roman period, what group events are coming up so I can join in, I have never done anything like this before so am very aprehensive!! Help this gal out!!
Cathy

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 02-23-2009

Hi Philip from Hasselt and Cathy from Hollyweird :wink:

Welcome to the forum. Please write your (first) real name in your signature (profile, not under each post).

Re: New recruits - richsc - 02-23-2009

Quote: HollyWierd california and luv the Roman period, what group events are coming up so I can join in,
Salve Cathy, there are two groups in southern California, both represented here on RAT. Sean Richards and Dave Michaels run Legio IX and VI respectively. I think those are your most likely bets.

Re: New recruits - graham_h_miller - 02-28-2009

Hi I'm Graham (never got on with screen names - too much to remember!)

- where are you from?
Kent in the South East of England
- how'd you become interested in Rome?
I'm a writer and I'm writing a novel which has a section set during the Marcomannic Wars.
- why are you here?
To get answers to some odd questions
I'm a writer! I'll need to know really odd things about life in the Roman army so that (hopefully!) my book will be convincing...

Cheers

Re: New recruits - CaiusBritannicus - 03-01-2009

Hello all, my name is Jonathan or Jon in short.
Now onto the questions.

- where are you from?
Nova Scotia, Canada

- How'd you become interested in Rome?
Many reasons, I had never really been a "age of antiquity" enthusiast. I have however for as long as I can remember been a military-history enthusiast. So it was inevitable that I eventually realize just how much was taken from Rome in terms of tradition, customs, formation and grandeur. The catalyst of my recent interest was a lecture given by a colleague of mine who was speaking on the topic of "Life under Canvas, the British Army in Camp during the 18th Century". One thing that which was pointed out was that the actual camp structure of an army on campaign would change very little from those of the Roman Legions. There were differences but the structure itself would remain the same.

This peaked my curiosity, how could an army which hadn't marched in 1500 odd years ago still be so influential. Sure enough I did more digging and the Romans had foot drill, discipline & fighting techniques that stand to this day both in military and police doctrines. This is amazing because it show's the modernity of the Roman Legions. Had they Gun Powder they would go toe-to-toe with Frederick the Great's Army or that of The Duke of Wellington for that matter. The Hypothetical is a topic I generally avoid, I tend to stick with the facts but the comparison can be made that the ways of a Legion compete even with today's Company's, Battalions, Regiments & Divisions. Maybe "compete" isn't the right word, perhaps "if it isn't broke don't fix it" fits. If that does provide an answer then it shows just how amazing the Roman Army was, since it set a precedent that is followed not only in Western Armed Forces but in Western society in general for 1500 years and counting. That and I am a huge fan of the HBO/BBC Rome series, Jack Whyte's Camulod/Dream of Eagles novels. I could be totally "Out to lunch" with my post and some of my observations may very well be incorrect but that is why I am here to find these things out.

- why are you here?
I did a google search for "Uniforms in HBO series incorrect?" because although I absolutely love the series, I noticed several ugly realities about the costume design in the uniforms of the Legionaries. Its like they got the "idea" right but didn't pursue the tinier details a uniform junkie such as myself looks for.

I do re-enact, mostly 18th Century French-Indian War period, I will provide a link to my Living-History website profile at the bottom. I want to go to school for Museum Studies & at present I am just a military history junkie, not an academic but dedicated to learning as much as I possibly can.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 03-02-2009

Hi Jonathan,

Please write your real (first) name in your signature (profile). It's a forum rule.

Quote:Link to my living history world wide web profile:
http://www.livinghistoryworldwide.com/profile/Jonathan
You need to sign in to view that - not very visitor friendly. Sad

Re: New recruits - CaiusBritannicus - 03-02-2009

Sorry about the confusion, I should have read the forum rules it has been fixed.
About the living history site, I didn't realize it required a sign-in I'll remove the link.

I look forward to participating on this board and learning quite a bit.

Re: New recruits - Marcus Albinus - 03-04-2009

Howdy, everyone, from the hillbilly-infested mountains of WV, USA. Sometime lurker, first-time poster.

I'm a professional metal and leather worker; I'm an armorer, blacksmith, and builder of various and sundry metal and leather goods. I've been interested in ancient Rome since I was a kid and checked out a book on Roman soldiers from my grade-school library. I belong to a local, small Roman reenactment group. Other periods of particular interest to me are Medieval European, feudal Japanese, and WWI.

I figure the above pretty much explains what I'm doing here. :wink:

Several of you already know me as CLANG. I'll be posting an intro in the Marketplace also.

Re: New recruits - Quintis Antonius Felix - 03-06-2009

Interest in Rome: I am facinated with the Roman Military. Every aspect is awsome to me, and I enjoy doing endless research on it.
Do I re-enact? I am trying to start my own group in North East Tennessee, Named Legio IV Flavia Felix.

Re: New recruits - Anya - 03-07-2009

Helo Everyone,

I ma new to this board so here's a few facts about me:
- I came across this board looking for pictures of Roman Granaries for my first ever lecture (fingers crossed, hope I won't flop)
- I am an undergraduate student at Jagiellonian University in Poland and I am going to do MA at University Collage London