RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Justin of the New Yorkii - 06-23-2009

Thank you both.

And Vortigern, when I wrote that I appreciate "the opportunity to learn from authors and professors of ancient history," I was referring to you, among others.

Re: New recruits - Dame dEnfer - 06-24-2009

hi, well, my name's Alana and i live in the wonderful waste-land known as winnipeg. it get horrifyingly cold in the winter (about -40C), and quite hot in the summer (sometimes up to about 42C). i'm currently working on getting a psych degree, though ancient metallurgy is really my passion. i've always had an interest in ancient arms and armour, and was going through some searches and came across this wonderful forum.

i am planning on getting supplies together and making a linothorax, though i'm not too sure how long it will take to get those supplies as i am a broke university student.

Re: New recruits - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-24-2009

Welcome to the forum Alana, from a fellow Canuk!
Interesting that you are interested in the Greek arms and armour if I pick you up correct?
That was how I found this site too, even though I do Roman period re-enacting.
Being half Greek, I was interested in finding out about the ancient methods used to creat the Corinthian....
Never got that far beofre being called to the Roman side of life, but this forum has many experts in the field....
btw, have you seen the Manning Imperial website?

Re: New recruits - Ceasar Augustus - 06-24-2009

Good to have you here, Alana.

Re: New recruits - Dame dEnfer - 06-24-2009

thanks for the welcome guys Big Grin

i have taken a look at the manning imperial site, and it's frightfully expensive for a broke student like myself. the good thing is that i'm a jeweller, and have a good friend that's a blacksmith, and more importantly, willing to teach me. this will be a good obsession for me :lol:

Re: New recruits - jvrjenivs - 06-24-2009

as you say you've experience as a jeweller, I suppose you would able to make stuff yourself, which would save you a lot of money and would be another part of the hobby which could be much fun. (It's good to walk around in your kit knowing you made it yourself). Good luck and I'm sure you'll be able to work out some pieces pretty soon and much enjoy this board.

Re: New recruits - Ceasar Augustus - 06-24-2009

I wish I had someone willing to teach me, but... oh well. Guess I'm just unlucky.

Re: New recruits - LVCIVS MAIOR - 07-05-2009

Salve omnes,
greetings from northern Germany/Baltic Sea coast! My real name is Lutz Mews and I've been a constant RAT-visitor for some years now. So it's high time to join (... and being permitted to view every attached photo again! :wink: )
AFAIR I became interested in ancient Rome even before coming to school, but naturally don't know the cause anymore. I'm not a professional and don't reenact; - simply an interested layman, that's what I am. Smile

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 07-05-2009

Hi Lutz,

Welcome to the forum. There's a place for everybody here - professsional, layman, re-enactor, artisan, visitor - everybody.

Re: New recruits - Ceasar Augustus - 07-06-2009

Hello there Lutz Smile .

Re: New recruits - jc02005 - 08-14-2009

It has been atleast a year, since I have last been on here. Everything has been changed.

Re: New recruits - Marcus Petronius Scaevola - 08-14-2009

Hello All!
Found this site will browsing. Very nice and informative. I am from a smallish town around Montreal in the Province of Quebec, Canada. Not too much early re-enactor around here, almost all Nouvelle France. If somebody knows about a legio around here, do tell!

I was in a early medieval group (700Ad to around 1300) a long while ago. Life happened. It still exists but it is quite different. We did stage combat and studied old manuscript like I33. I got hooked to history researching correct fighting technic.
Main period of Interest is early 1c. AD. I drool over the Mainz pattern gladius! I will try to build has much, of a kit as I can. Wonderful way to learn.

Valete !

N.B.: Primary language is French, I will probably offend the Orthographic Patron Deity whomever that is! Smile

Re: New recruits - jvrjenivs - 08-14-2009

At least there are some Roman groups in Canada. Check [url:1kxwisvj]http://www.larp.com/legioxx/groups.html[/url]. Welcome on RAT. I'm sure you'll like it.

Re: New recruits - Ceasar Augustus - 08-15-2009

Hey Christian, good to see another new user.

Re: New recruits - Marcus Petronius Scaevola - 08-17-2009

Good advice Jvrjenivs. I found two but I am the middle at more than 5 hour ride away. Will probably be alone for now or be a vexilari for a far away legion.