RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Nieczar - 09-04-2009

hello

I want to present other site of my person - not the Armorer Big Grin ...few exemples of my work when I was the Student

it's the little part of "naked true" about me :lol:

http://photofile.name/users/nieczar/3759057/
http://photofile.name/users/nieczar/3636432/

Re: New recruits - Emma O W - 09-11-2009

Hello all, I'm Emma from... well, that's not really a defining trait. I was born and raised in Scania (Sweden), the moment I was old enough to strike out on my own I moved to Scotland and now I'm getting ready to look for a place in Brittany.

I fell into this Roman trap quite by accident. I was doing a degree in Celtic Civilisation and couldn't give a damn about Rome (unless Romano-Celtic) when my father fell very ill and I moved back to Sweden to be closer to family. There's no Celtic degree to be had in Sweden so I was going to do History, but the history department were extremely unhelpful, rude and dismissive, so a friend recommended that I take Classical Archaeology that semester so I could be enrolled and then I could sort out that history department thing later. I never contacted the history department again. Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Ceasar Augustus - 09-11-2009

Well... Welcome to the site, Emma. Hope you enjoy it.

Re: New recruits - Marcus Petronius Scaevola - 09-13-2009

Welcome Emma!

Re: New recruits - Urinator - 10-11-2009

Hello from New Zealand

I'm originally from the Pennine hills in Brittannia. Been in NZ for 21 years. My main Roman interests are archery,the Batavians, swimming, long distance marching and strangely, acquaducts.
I shoot a 125lb longbow and an eastern composite recurve.I make all my own arrows.

This Southern hemisphere summer I'm planning on swimming some rivers using an Auxillary shield to see how easy/difficult the infantry section of a Batavian Cohors Equitata would have found it (That's if they did it at all. I've never found any references to Batavian infantry swimming, it's always the cavalry).

I'm not a Roman reenactor as such but I'm getting into the medieval reenactment scene and will possibly slide into the Roman stuff as well at some time in the future. I've got horse archery on my to do list as well.

I studied Latin at school for 2 years so I've got a very rudimentary grasp of the language and I've been to many Roman sites in England, France, Italy, Croatia, Greece and Turkey over the years. One day I hope to make it to Caeserea on the coast of Israel and free dive down to the harbour ruins there.There is also a very interesting looking acquaduct which has got some very intact parts along it's length. I was fortunate to be able to walk on top of the Pont Du Gard in Provence back in the early nineties. When I was last there 4 years ago I saw that it's no longer possible.

I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone on the forum that has the same kind of interests.

Cheers
Keith.

Re: New recruits - D B Campbell - 10-11-2009

Quote:My main Roman interests are archery,the Batavians, swimming, long distance marching and strangely, acquaducts.
Unfortunate choice of screen name, Keith! Like vomitorium, it seems to mean something other than its real meaning. :wink: But ... welcome, nonetheless.

Re: New recruits - Urinator - 10-12-2009

My understanding of the word is that it is the singular of Urinatores which was the nickname given to professional divers of the classical period. I''ve done a one or two swims in cold water and the name is definately appropriate :wink:

Re: New recruits - Magnus - 10-13-2009

It also means someone who pees.

Welcome to RAT!

Re: New recruits - Urinator - 10-14-2009

Exactly Magnus.That's why they got the name - swimming (especially in colder water) makes you pee more. So my user name should be interpreted as an occupational one, not a Given name.

Re: New recruits - Ceasar Augustus - 10-14-2009

Sorry I'm late... but welcome anyway.

Re: New recruits - Matt Lukes - 10-23-2009

Welcome to RAT Emma and Keith Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Chlodovicus - 11-24-2009

Hello all,

I am glad to find a specific site for the army. My interests are primarily the army from the 4th to 6th centuries and the changes the western empire experienced after Diocletian.

Looking forward to discussions.

Re: New recruits - Matt Lukes - 11-24-2009

Welcome to RAT Chlodovicus- we have a number of later Roman experts and enthusiasts here so I'm sure you'll find something to interest you :wink: Do please put your real name in your signature line though- it's a forum rule so everyone knows with whom they're talking. Enjoy!

Re: New recruits - CAeliusEricius - 11-25-2009

Just checking back in. I might have posted one or two times to the old site and have just not reg'ed for the new location(s).

Valete bene.

Bert Ricci.

Re: New recruits - Matt Lukes - 11-25-2009

Welcome back Bert- hope you find the new-er? RAT enjoyable.