RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Hypnagogic Imagery - 12-01-2009

Hi there,

New to this forum and only recently started seriously looking into Ancient Roman history. I do not re-enact (yet), though am interested in doing so. I'm a full-time worker and full-time student, and also travel quite a bit. Currently residing in Newark, DE.

I'm most interested in studying the life and campaigns of Emperor Trajan. Any recommendations on books/articles would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

-Clint

Re: New recruits - Matt Lukes - 12-01-2009

Welcome Clint- this is definitely the place to foster the reenacting bug and help you with any particular area you find interesting. I suggest you post the book/article question in the Roman Military History section- I'm sure there are folks who can suggest material on Trajan's Dacian Wars.

Re: New recruits - Hypnagogic Imagery - 12-04-2009

Quote:Welcome Clint- this is definitely the place to foster the reenacting bug and help you with any particular area you find interesting. I suggest you post the book/article question in the Roman Military History section- I'm sure there are folks who can suggest material on Trajan's Dacian Wars.

Matt,

Good thinking - thanks for the advice. I'll do so immediately.

-Clint

Re: New recruits - Sindri - 12-08-2009

Hello at all,

I am Nina from Düsseldorf, Germany and my Companion Sascha is already here since a longer time. So as a woman I can´t be a member of the Roman Army :wink: , but I am a person who can embellish your weapons for example silverinlays :mrgreen: .
Metallwork is my favourite handcraft in this Hobby of living History. In my „normal life“ I´m a student at the University Duisburg-Essen. I study Art, History, and Biology to become a teacher for secondary schools.
So I´m naturally interested in History Big Grin Wink
I´m here because Sascha made me snoopy and at the same time I can improve my english-knowledge, so I hope.
Mostly I show Handcrafts on events in several Times. My Interpretations are Teuton at 1st century, Saxon at 800 and Ottonian at 955 a Merovingian at 650 is intended, because there is so many inlayed Stuff :wink:

Best regards

Re: New recruits - Sascha - 12-08-2009

Hi Nina,
Welcome here!
Hope to see you soon again :!:

Re: New recruits - Matt Lukes - 12-08-2009

Wilkommen Nina! It's always nice to have more individual artisans around- I hope you find RAT interesting and fun Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Iacqlinia - 12-27-2009

Hi all

I'm currently a full time student at Macquarie University (Sydney Australia) majoring in Ancient History. I started uni 2 years ago after working for 20years, initially intending to study Modern History, but was converted to the dark side by some great lecturers and interesting Roman units. I'm currently doing Latin as part of my undergrad degree, and hope to fit in some ancient greek as well. I love all things military, which kind of helps when I have a hubby who is into wargaming and miniature painting. I'm especially interested in late antiquity. Although I am currently researching a paper on the Claudian invasion of Britain,and the early resistance of the British tribes, ala Caratacus and Boudica.

I found your forum through another message board I frequent (TMP) and RAT looked like the sort of place I would like to frequent, cause you talk about things I like :-) ) .

cheers

Jac

Re: New recruits - Matt Lukes - 12-27-2009

Welcome to RAT Jac Big Grin

Re: New recruits - morhathol - 01-02-2010

Hello,

my name is Roman and I'm from a small town in Slovakia. I study archaeology (2nd year), though prehistoric/medieval, not classical. Nevertheless I'm interested in ancient history and warfare and this is probably the most competent (or at least one of most competent) places to be, so it was a logical choice to register. My other interests are roleplaying games (as a DM) and hiking, among others.

I'm not a re-enactor (yet?), but I'm considering it. I once enlisted in a roman auxillia re-enactment group a friend recently started, but due to time and travel issues I left. If conditions allow it, I wouldn't mind taking part in a such project, preferably something Greek or Hellenic.

Best wishes and happy new year to everyone

Roman

Re: New recruits - Matt Lukes - 01-04-2010

Welcome to RAT Roman Big Grin

Re: New recruits - aquilifer - 01-15-2010

- where are you from? My name is Erwin, I'm 24 andI am from Belgium, province antwerp.

- how'd you become interested in Rome?
Well I have always been interested in military stuff.
As a kid my favorite toys were my army men, plastic guns, stuff like that ^^
As I got older I found general military history more and more interesting (which is one of the few good things about belgium, since there is alot of ww1 and ww2 museums to visit Smile )
But eventually what I found really interesting was the classical period/roman period (especially great leaders like alexander, hannibal, gaius julius caesar)
and then just the people of rome itself, how a bunch of farmers eventually went to conquer almost the entire world, I mean how is that not awesome?

- why are you here? I was googling for triarii to show some people I know what it means (I use it as a nickname in games, along with aquilifer or signifer), and somehow I found myself on this forum and I was like "waw, finally a place to talk to other people about one of my favorite topics !!!.
Sadly, noone IRL I know is as much interested about ancient rome or greece.
I know one guy who likes it a little bit, but he's far more interested in ww2 and ww1 then ancient warfare.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?
Nah,I dont re-enact, I'd look like real crap in a roman uniform anyway, no matter how awesome the uniform is.
Sadly I didn't went for history, I'm thinking about going back to studying, but since all I know about ancient times is from wiki's or some books or games (rome total war), I don't think I would fair very well in taking such a course Confused (plus I guess you really need to know latin aswell, which I know very little of unfortunatly, but I do find it a very interesting language though, just like japanese, greek or italian which I hope to one day learn one of those ^^)

Sorry if it was a little long btw :p

Re: New recruits - jvrjenivs - 01-15-2010

Quote:I'm thinking about going back to studying, but since all I know about ancient times is from wiki's or some books or games (rome total war), I don't think I would fair very well in taking such a course Confused

this place will probably get you reading for some time. There is soooo much on here Big Grin Also, as you say you're from Antwerp, maybe you should look for the AVRA Wink

Ow, and don't forget to put your name into your signature before a mod will catch you, as it is a forum rule Big Grin

Re: New recruits - Matt Lukes - 01-15-2010

Welcome to RAT Erwin- we can certainly provide a whole lot of new friends to chat and learn about ancient Rome and Greece with; such is the beauty of modern technology- it doesn't matter that you know nobody in person of like interests, there'll always be an on-line forum with loads of them :wink: I don't know anyone locally who's interested in ancient warfare either- everyone I know is here LOL

Re: New recruits - aquilifer - 01-15-2010

Hehe ty ^^

Yeah I got the impression I will get alot to read here, there is so much I don't even know where to begin Big Grin .
And thx for the avra thing, never knew such a thing existed.
Might check out their next meeting, looks nice.

Re: New recruits - jvrjenivs - 01-15-2010

Yeah, they are nice people, have good events, lectures and if I'm right also organise trips Big Grin .