RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - Tasia - 02-20-2011

Greetings!

I've been a member of RAT for a couple of years but after being sidelined with injuries I was away from my SCA activities including a lot of online forums. I am back in training and working to get back in armor. Looking forward to catching up with all the great discussions here.

My real name is Stacie Kelsey and I live in Oregon and work for Washington State Fish and Wildlife. I have a big beautiful warhorse named Solon who is retired from medieval activities because he outgrew the horse trailer. Confusedhock: He finally stopped at 18 hands and 2250 lbs.

I am a member of the SCA and my persona there is 140 AD Greek/Roman. I have a Roman/Greek style fighting kit as best I can get with still being the parameters for SCA fighting. My SCA name is Livia Tasia, although I was helped by members here to have a more authentic name Quinta Livia Anastasia for the forum.

I have loved all things Rome since I can remember. Got even more hooked when the Xena/Hercules shoes aired (don't laugh!) and then I discovered the SCA and then I discovered that there were Roman specific groups (although several did not allow females to fight).

Looking forward to catching up with all of the discussions.

Tasia

Re: New recruits - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-20-2011

Welcome back. Sorry to hear you were injured.

Re: New recruits - Tasia - 02-20-2011

Thank you! Three knee surgeries and just last fall my elbow surgery - on my sword arm no less! But working through it all and I hope to be back in armor by mid summer.

Tasia

Re: New recruits - Chock - 02-24-2011

Hi all. Just registered on this forum, so an introduction is appropriate. My name is Al, I'm on the edges of the Roman Empire, in the north of England.

I registered on the site because of my interest in ancient and particularly Roman warfare (there's a surprise, eh?), this including everything from simply reading up about it (which I do a lot of), to messing around wargaming with Roman armies (mostly at 1/72nd scale because I prefer the more realistic depiction of the figure proportions over the cartoonesque style of 28mm stuff).

Wargaming is in fact the main reason I figured registering on here would be a good idea, on the off chance that I need to pick people's brains about detailing Roman model figures if I can't find info in various books I have on the subject. Being that some of what we know of Roman army equipment and dispositions is speculative, I imagine it'll useful to get informed opinions on the matter in order to go with a 'best guess', since there's only so much one can do with a look at Trajan's Column or reading between the lines of GJC's Commentaries, and sometimes Osprey's stuff can be a bit fanciful.

Anyway. Hello all!

Al

Re: New recruits - Caballo - 02-24-2011

Welcome- a you'll find a lot of present and past war gamers here . And warning- you may even get tempted to get into 1:1 scale and get kitted out yourself, especially given that being in the North, Hadrians Wall can't be too far away?

Re: New recruits - Colin Speirs - 03-04-2011

- where are you from?
Ancestrally, lots of different places, me, Scotland

- how'd you become interested in Rome?
Don't know. Old enough to be raised with the notion that the Classical World was superior and the thing to aspire to, as I grew older I realised they were just as flawed as us and that the Roman family is much like a Mafia Family

- why are you here?
I respect the main mod and thought this would be a good place to learn

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?
Used to, but Dark Ages, and history is an interest, not my job. I should confess to being a wargamer also

New recruits - ParthianBow - 03-04-2011

Welcome Stacie, Al and Colin - new recruits always welcome. Herein is the richest source of Roman info on the web. Plus the annual RAT conference is a blast!

Re: New recruits - Ovid - 03-06-2011

Hello all been reading this forum for years but never registered. Won't post much except to ask the occasional question. fine forum and nice people. Salve

Re: New recruits - Titius_VI_Legion - 03-08-2011

Robert (Titius Vedius Medullinus)
VI Legion Ferrata
South Carolina

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 03-08-2011

Welcome guys. Have fun here.

Re: New recruits - Milliardo - 03-13-2011

Hello all :3

- where are you from? - Vermont, USA
- how'd you become interested in Rome? - I've always been interested in antquity.
- why are you here? - I'm interested in ancient armor, weapons, martial arts and warfare.
- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..? - Martial artist and generally just interested in what remains of Greco-roman martial arts.

I'll probably just lurk, but if I find something I can contribute I'll chime in. :3

Re: New recruits - Bruno - 03-19-2011

Hi,
I send few words from France concerning our group specialized in the Roman army of Cesar.
We propose several typical characters of the period such as legionaries, a bowman (cretan archer), a balearic slinger, a surgeon, auxiliaries, a germanic mercenary, a lupa

Glad to be present on your forum

Re: New recruits - wulfson - 04-01-2011

Hi all

just joined so thought I'd say hello.
Come from Faversham, Kent,live next to the A2,Watling Street and quite spoilt for Roman sites in the area.Into re-enactment, was English Civil war but recently had a bit of a change to late roman/dark ages.
Looks like there's lots to read so will start trawling through the posts, so bye for now

Mick

Re: New recruits - Alanus - 04-02-2011

Hello Mick, Bruno, and Milliardo

Welcome to RAT. I've only been a member for a couple of years. But this group is friendly and knnowledgable. This is not cutthroat.com!:grin:

Hey, Milliardo. I grew up in Waterbury. Nice little town, or it was.Wink

Re: New recruits - IGNATIUS LARRASUS PROFUTURUS - 04-07-2011

Hello

My name is IƱaki Zalabardo Larraza and I'm from Barcelona in Spain. I Studied history and worked as an archaeologist long, long, long time ago. In 1992 I wanted to create a group of reenanctment but there was no one in Spain who knew what it was and who wanted to participate in the adventure. They did not understand, thought I was completely crazy and professional colleagues archaeologists believed it was a mortal sin.
Today everything has changed a lot and reenanctment in Spain is a fact. I decided to try again.
I am creating a group of late Roman reenanctment, the most interesting time for me. The group is called Propugnatores Barcinonenses and recreates among other projects one military unit that served in Hispania according to Notitia Dignitatum.
I'm reading this forum since last summer and I must congratulate you on your excellent work and users who give life to the place with their valuable investments. Now I am a user too but I know very little English and do not think I can speak a lot.
Finally if any member of the RAT in our area who want to defend the Colonia Iulia Augusta Faventia Paterna Barcino until the end, do not hesitate to contact us.