RomanArmyTalk
New recruits - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New recruits (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Re: New recruits - William Glover - 07-24-2011

Salve
Retired Archaeologist, with a life long interest in the classic world. Being a former solider I have always had an interest in military history, and in my informal research I find myself drawn to Rome and how the military changed and later formed much of greater Rome and the western world

Re: New recruits - Short Timer - 07-24-2011

Hello All,

Like some here, I am new to Roman reenacting, but not new to the hobby itself. I've spent the last few years doing a lot of 20th century themed reenacting, but have a life-long interest in the Roman world. Am particularly interested in the third-to-fifth centuries, although it seems that most reenacting tends to focus on Hadrian or earlier. No matter - I'm looking forward to learning what I can from you all!

Re: New recruits - jvrjenivs - 07-24-2011

Quote:Hello All,

Like some here, I am new to Roman reenacting, but not new to the hobby itself. I've spent the last few years doing a lot of 20th century themed reenacting, but have a life-long interest in the Roman world. Am particularly interested in the third-to-fifth centuries, although it seems that most reenacting tends to focus on Hadrian or earlier. No matter - I'm looking forward to learning what I can from you all!

Well, most do Flavian impressions indeed, but there are more and more 'Late Roman' re-enactors around. Big Grin So, you can easily find some like-minded people on here.

Re: New recruits - Lucanus - 07-28-2011

Hi everyone just another newb checking in. I'm not into re-enacting but I've been lurking for a while since I have been chipping away at a novel for the last few years that takes place in the mid fifth century and bounces between Rome and Ravenna. There are lots of great resources here so thanks for that already. You all have a great site here and I look forward to being a member.

Re: New recruits - Jabrosky - 08-07-2011

Hello,

I am a student of biological anthropology at the University of California in San Diego, but as someone who played a lot of Age of Empires as a kid, I also have an interest in ancient warfare and enjoy drawing and writing about ancient warriors in my spare time. However, I must confess that my specialty is Egypt rather than Rome, which seems to be this board's focus, and I don't do re-enactments. Still, I hope I can have some productive conversations on this board.

Re: New recruits - Sempronius - 08-08-2011

I'm a freelance fine art painter. MFA Painting from Savannah College of Art and Design in 2000.
I've been interested in military history since I was ten. I'm a collector of helmets, hats and other items from WWII and the Cold War.
Now expanding the collection into Roman military history which has come full circle to my high school Latin Club days in the early '80s.

Re: New recruits - M. Demetrius - 08-08-2011

Quote:You all have a great site here and I look forward to being a member.
Thanks, of course, Todd, but all you have to do to be a member here is to be here. And you've accomplished that, so --

Welcome aboard.

Re: New recruits - AshleySC - 08-23-2011

Greetings all, I'm fairly new to all things Roma--unless you count all those "sword and sandal" epics I watched as a kid. Big Grin Originally, I was fascinated by the Medieval Period and the so-called "Dark Ages" but I just kept studying history until I found that literally all roads lead to Rome. Big Grin Now I am deeply hooked as my growing sword and book collection demonstrates and hope to learn more from this forum and its members.

Re: New recruits - Robert Vermaat - 08-23-2011

For those unfamiliar with the name 'Robert Vermaat', don't think that I sneakily stole the avatar from that guy you may know as 'Vortigern Studies'... Big Grin

After a good many years I decided to finally change my username (which came with being a member of the service providing that old, old RAT board, into my real name.

Re: New recruits - agrimensor - 08-23-2011

welcome, robert :roll: :roll:

Re: New recruits - jvrjenivs - 08-23-2011

mmm, a 'new' user with already over 11000 postings, welcome on RAT, Robert Tongue

Re: New recruits - Erik Svensson - 08-25-2011

Hello fellow RAT members

I would first like to apologize for my bad English, so it's done.

My name is Erik Svensson and I live in Stockholm, Sweden. I study military history at the National Defence College here, and aims to become a professor in that subject.

I have always love history and especially military history. The Roman Empire and Genghis Khan's Mongols is what most interests me. In the future when the economy allows (is a poor student) Is the plan to start with Roman reenactment. A roman soldier from the first century AD. would I like to recreate then.

Ha det gott Big Grin

Best Regards / Erik

Re: New recruits - jvrjenivs - 08-25-2011

Welcome on RAT, Erik. Your English is okay and perfectly understandable! Don't feel unable to post on here, there are lot's of people of whom English isn't their native language on here, and understand the difficulties of expressing oneself in a foreign language.

I'm sure you will enjoy RAT and hope to see some nice pictures when you can start with getting into re-enactment as well.

New recruits - ParthianBow - 08-26-2011

Hi Erik, and a warm welcome to RAT. As Jurjenius said, have no fear about posting. Everyone's vry friendly here, and you'll find lots of help with any info you might need.

Re: New recruits - Vindex - 08-27-2011

Welcome all new comers!

And Erik - your English is FAR better than my Swedish!! :wink: